Wookong turned my computer off! Faulty?

danproud

Like a few guys on here, I'm tearing my hair out trying to get the USB connection to work to my new Wookong. I worked all through last night to get it to work with no luck, so as you can imagine, my patience is nearing its end...

I purchased the unit from Robert at DJI USA. I installed everything as per the instructions, installed the 32-bit driver and assistant software, and have tried on 3 different computers (an Imac and macbook pro using fusion+Windows7, and a PC using Windows vista). I've removed red wire from the ESC's. When I power on the Wookong it has a solid blue light on the MC. the LED cycles through some colours then nothing. Then, first time I plugged the USB cable, my IMac literally turned off The cable felt hot. Then I tried again, and I had an error saying a USB device was drawing too much power and has been disabled (screenshot attached). Meanwhile the software asks me to login, but then has no connection and the read /write buttons are greyed out.

I'm really not sure what to do from here. Do I contact Robert about about the possibility of my unit being faulty, or to purchase a new MC? Or do I try and find a 64-bit windows PC for trial and error?

View attachment 2327

Really appreciate the help. I have an unopened box of all MK gear, I'd hate to have to pull off the WKM and use that instead!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-01-24 at 2.00.19 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2012-01-24 at 2.00.19 AM.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 214

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
Hmm hard one to say what is going on.

I have a Macpro here a old Macbook Air and a normal macbook maybe a year old. Running either parallels or VMware on all of them. They were all in contact with WKM before and i never had that issue. The only time i get your specific USB warning message is when i hook up a USB device wanting its voltage and A from one of the keyboard USB ports on may Macpro. Since you have tried it on different machines i really dont think thats its a computer hardware OS specific issue but something seems wrong with the WKM unit. The led cycling through and than nothing is also not a good sign. I had that once when my CAN-bus from the PMU gave up and the communication between the components was more or less dead. Only thing you could try is to power up the WKM without the PMU thus also leave out the CAN-Bus from the PMU. Either fire it up from one of the ESCS or give the MC juice from your RX or a regulated power supply. See if anything in the behavior changes concering LED flashes and USB connections.

Boris

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
Also measure the voltage output from your PMU. Once from the BEC and than also the voltage it gives out on the CAN-bus. If something is wrong there and it blew the MC than you have your origin of the issue. I am saying this since there have been some faulty PMUs out here causing issues !

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
Just for you info my canbus voltage output is 12.5 V. By the way just powered up the system by not having the Canbus from the PMU connected to the MC since i obviously had to measure the voltage. I had the same LED behavior as you are experiencing. Flashing through all the colors but no blinking, thus it seem a normal routing of the LED just getting power and no data fro the MC that it will flash through all colors.

Boris

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
I had this issue with my Xaircraft ALL the time. The USB couldnt supply enough power to the module to make it work withotu shutting down the port. But on the DJI since you have to have th battery plugged in anyways, this shouldnt be an overload problem.

danproud

Strange voltage reading from PMU

Also measure the voltage output from your PMU. Once from the BEC and than also the voltage it gives out on the CAN-bus. If something is wrong there and it blew the MC than you have your origin of the issue. I am saying this since there have been some faulty PMUs out here causing issues !

Hi Boris. I've measured the voltages coming from the PMU. The can-bus reads 12.7 volts. The v-sen (that was going to x1) reads 16v, just a little less than what the battery is actually supplying!! Shouldn't this read 5V like it says on the PMU? Could this have completely fried my Main Controller?

I might be jumping too far ahead, but if my PMU has fried my MC, will I get any help from DJI USA?? Or am I just screwed over?

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
Depends what you used the bec for coming from the PMU. If you hooked up v-sen directly to your x1 port on the MC with the red/black thus bec being connected and since it gives out 16v it could have damaged the MC. I used the bec for powering my RX and Vsen only the yellow cable is connected to the x1 port. But it doesn't say anywhere that the bec shouldn't be connected directly to the x1 port! But it's a totall confusion anyways since the MC already gets it's power over the can-bus.

Nevertheless your PMU bec seems to be faulty. I am pretty sure that DJIUSA will take care of the issue if it turns out the the faulty PMU fried the MC. Catch them in one of the threads or pm DJIUSA.

Boris

UAVproducts

Formerly DJIUSA
Email me at Robert @ DjiUSA . com.

We will warranty any defective hardware.

It does sound like the PMU is not regulating down the voltage.

See if you can take the PMU out of the equation and use a BEC (or regulator) and see if the MC is working. If not, then we need to replace both the PMU and MC. Actually we should just do a full replacement to be on the safe side.

danproud

Thanks for the reply Robert. I've completely removed the PMU and powered the MC using RX power. Still same response and no USB connection...

Thanks for your help every one. Will email Robert tomorrow. I might get flying somewhere in the next 10 years :-/