Wookong IMU V2

AEMontoya

After eons of waiting I have now received the S800 anti-vibe damper kit. I can see it being of real benefit for the camera mount but I am in two minds as to whether to mount the IMU.v2 on the supplied tray.

The previous height loss problem with the IMU.v1 appears to have been eradicated with the IMU.v2 mounted in the normal place but on a big fat gel pad, although a lot more flights are needed to make this definitive. What concerns me about mounting the IMU 'externally' on the tray is that although the IMU will be subjected to less high frequency vibration, I can see it being a little isolated from real airframe movement with the consequence that attitude correction might be slightly delayed as the dampers absorb small movements.

How do you secure the IMU.v2 to the tray? It cannot be mounted permanently otherwise the whole thing cannot be dismantled easily. I wonder if velcro would be stable enough?

Based on what I've read from two different pilots on the RCGroups forums, it seems that use of the v1 IMU on the external mounting tray solved altitude problems and gave more stable/precise flight. This makes me believe that putting the IMU v2 on the external mounting tray could only be better than putting it in the center plate well. As for attaching/detaching it, it seems that what others are doing is fixing the IMU permanently to the external plate using double-sided adhesive and then doing one of two things: 1) using a Naza-H IMU extension cable and unplugging/plugging in the IMU with assembly/disassembly or 2) simply plugging in the standard, short IMU cable into the PMU and unplugging/plugging with assembly/disassembly.

To me, it makes sense to use the IMU v2 or v1 on the external tray, as it seems it can only make things better (but, I do see your point, though). My big question still, which will hopefully get answered in the near future, is whether the v1 IMU on the external tray is really all that's needed. After all, who wants to spend $240 for no reason, when there is absolutely no information or proof/testing from DJI about the v2 IMU versus v1 IMU?

By the way, I'd really like to get an idea of how many successfully flights folks have been having with their s800 (successful = no crashes or really crazy, unexplainable behavior). Feel free to indicate, anonymously or otherwise, on the following Google Doc:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AtMoeoY9tz6adEJvMldHVUo2WUV2TjZsMjZuUFl3VlE&usp=sharing

Last edited by a moderator:

gtranquilla

RadioActive
Since the WooKong have the additional gimbal control feature built-in, the need for an ancillary camera gimbal/imu would be technically redundant.
So it would seem that a more optimum placement of the single IMU would solve both the MR control as well as camera stabilization.
IMHO - any MR control latency due to the new anti-vibration kit would remain insignificant.

BTW - I pre-ordered the anti-vibration kit from a highly respected DJI distributor.....and when stock finally arrived, I was advised to pay some additional shipping fees $25 to handle customs/exise/brokeragte etc. because I live in Canada.
But after waiting an additional five weeks, I asked for a tracking number or a refund. I got the $75 refund but no shipping fee refund. That additional shipping fee went straight into the individuals pocket via his Paypal instruction. I suspect the guy never did ship the item and so he was not able to provide the tracking number.

So to others.....caveat emptor. :upset: REST ASSURED: What goes around..... comes around!!!

ChrisViperM

BTW - I pre-ordered the anti-vibration kit from a highly respected DJI distributor.....and when stock finally arrived, I was advised to pay some additional shipping fees $25 to handle customs/exise/brokeragte etc. because I live in Canada.
But after waiting an additional five weeks, I asked for a tracking number or a refund. I got the $75 refund but no shipping fee refund. That additional shipping fee went straight into the individuals pocket via his Paypal instruction. I suspect the guy never did ship the item and so he was not able to provide the tracking number.

So to others.....caveat emptor. :upset: REST ASSURED: What goes around..... comes around!!!

Please, don't be shy to give us name and hompage of that dealer.....that will either force the guy to give you a refund and an explaination, or he will loose business by people reading your post. These guys know about the power of forums, and if he still doesn't respond, he is just dumb and will loose business.
There is nothing legaly he could do aginst you......

Chris

MombasaFlash

Heli's & Tele's bloke
Based on what I've read ... using a Naza-H IMU extension cable and ...

Before the kit arrived I had hoped that an small extension would be provided to enable simple connection/disconnection if the IMU were to be placed on the tray. Wishful thinking. But Thanks for that Naza-H info. I did not know that very cable existed elsewhere. I will get one.

EDIT: Not so easy to find that Naza-H IMU extension. Also, it is more than a half meter long. That's a lot of extra cable to tuck away. DJI ought to supply a short 10cm extension with this damper/tray kit. They're doing a lot of this half-cocked stuff lately.

Before the kit arrived I had hoped that an small extension would be provided to enable simple connection/disconnection if the IMU were to be placed on the tray. Wishful thinking. But Thanks for that Naza-H info. I did not know that very cable existed elsewhere. I will get one.

EDIT: Not so easy to find that Naza-H IMU extension. Also, it is more than a half meter long. That's a lot of extra cable to tuck away. DJI ought to supply a short 10cm extension with this damper/tray kit. They're doing a lot of this half-cocked stuff lately.

yes i completely agree, I tried to work out a way of easily mounting the imu on the tray, a short extension cord is what we need, i don't like the idea of 50 cm of cable delaying the imu signal even a nano second on top of the dealy from the isolated plate

flybee

Hello!

I hope someone can help me...
I need an extension cable for the IMU.
Where can I get it?
I don´t want to cut the original to make it longer...
I just need 10cm more...

ChrisViperM

Hello!

I hope someone can help me...
I need an extension cable for the IMU.
Where can I get it?
I don´t want to cut the original to make it longer...
I just need 10cm more...

Get one of these: http://www.fpv4ever.com/en/wookong-m/939-cable-package-zenmuse-for-nex-series-part-no3.html

Unfortunately you don't get the needed cable alone, you need to get the whole pack. Remove the IMU bottom plate, remove the silicone from the circuit board, write down what color cable goes to which soldering point....unsolder. There is a little rubber plug / grommet between the original cable cable and the IMU....with a small screwdriver you can prey it off and use it on the new cable. Take the extension cable from the package, cut one plug off (watch out which one) , put the grommet on and prepare the cable to make it look like the original one (cutting off the isolation).....solder the cable in the written down order to the circuit board, put silicone onto the solder points, push the grommet to it's original location and close the IMU....finished.

There is also a Can-Bus hub avalible, but I think the plug from the IMU won't fit: http://www.globe-flight.de/CAN-Bus-HUB_1

Chris

Teamflail

Hey RedRidingHood, is it really ok to mount the IMU upside down? I read in the manual that it should be mounted facing up, only. Just checking and thanks for any information.

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
Teamfail I think you must have misunderstood something, dont think red stated that the WKM IMU can be mounted upside down, it cant !
Other IMUs can and the interpreting FW has setting for it. But the WKM IMU and its whole architecture concerning vibration dampening is
layed out to have it mounted on its bottom plate !

Boris

Teamflail

Thanks Boris. I thought about it a bit more after I posted and finally came to that conclusion. Not sure what I was thinking!! Thanks!!

kuau

Thought I would bring up this question again, I just purchased the new S900 without FC because I have the original WKM FC with IMU V1 "Plastic"
Should be thinking about upgrading my IMU for my S900?