Wookong IMU V2

MombasaFlash

Heli's & Tele's bloke
Well, my lady thinks that DJI is just wonderful! Because, now she has the iPad mini she always wanted - and then when she's not looking I can use the bluetooth LED :)

Last edited by a moderator:

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
Well, my lady thinks that DJI is just wonderful! Because, now she has the iPad mini she always wanted - and then when she's not looking I can use the bluetooth LED :)

And I just broke up 4 weeks ago :) and i should have kept the Ipad ! :) now i just have this 4s thing crack on the front and back :)

conprot

With the USB connected to the MC the upgrade options do not appear. They only appear if the USB cable is connected to the bluetoothLED - except that they 'timeout' and don't complete the upgrade.

hello Mombasa, did you manage to find an answer as to whether the IMU firmware 3.44 applies to the old unit or is it for the upcoming v2?I tried also to update both the IMU and GPS but as you say both "timeout".I will appreciate any info on this matter

ChrisViperM

And I just broke up 4 weeks ago :) and i should have kept the Ipad ! :) now i just have this 4s thing crack on the front and back :)

+1 :tennis:

"Looking for nice girlfriend with iPhone/iPad.....please send photo of iPhone/iPad...."

Chris

MombasaFlash

Heli's & Tele's bloke
hello Mombasa, did you manage to find an answer as to whether the IMU firmware 3.44 applies to the old unit or is it for the upcoming v2?..

I have a v2 IMU and the Assistant Software 2.00 has a different interface from the 1.34 that I was using with the IMU.v1 (f/w 5.16). In place of the pop-up window with info on current versions and available updates is the dedicated pane 'Upgrade'. When the USB cable is connected to the MC this window does not show much but when the USB cable is connected via the bluetooth LED, versions and available updates are listed. The current IMU Firmware is listed as version 0.80.2.0. However, neither the listed 3.44 upgrade for the IMU nor the listed 2.11 upgrade for the GPS complete the upgrading process.

It is quite a jump from 0.80.2.0 to 3.44, which only makes it all look a bit wrong somehow and I can find nothing on the DJI website to indicate what 'IMU upgrade version 3.44' is.

ChrisViperM

Just wait when it comes to NAZA.....
There are actually two "old" Naza versions out, the "regular" and the Phantom version....apperantely it's the same hardware, but different FW's and different assistant software. Now comes the new Naza v2, and I guess there it will be the same....it's about time to get a secretary to keep track of all this rubbish.....

Chris

MombasaFlash

Heli's & Tele's bloke
So, first opportunity to get out and try everything having changed the IMU to v2. Decided to install the iOSD as well for the sake of an upcoming job that requires specific altitudes. First impressions were good, everything smooth - seemingly smoother than before, but that could be just the windless day - and no immediate evidence of height loss. The OSD working well, good ... good ... okay, lets fly around a bit ... WTF? what's up with the retracts? All sort of jerky and then they stopped working altogether. Huh??

An hour and a half of messing with radio switching, recalibrating the retracts and general farting about and they resumed normal operation - but only whilst suspended between two tables on the ground. In the air they either wouldn't work at all or did the jerky thing. Summary: these DJI retracts work on the ground, where they are not needed, but not in the air where they are!

Everything unnecessary (iOSD, Z15 and video downlink) were completely disconnected in case this was a power problem but it made no difference.

The only thing different from before the IMU change was the IMU. The retracts worked perfectly well before changing the IMU. How the hell can the IMUv2 affect the retracts?

Right now I don't have time to replace the original IMUv1 to do a comparison because tomorrow I have this job pre-visualising the view from different specific altitudes. I will have to use the trusty AD8 with the trusty MK FC but with the cumbersome laptop for verifying the altitude. It would be much easier with the altitude displayed right there on the downlink monitor, but once more the S800 is not trustworthy enough.

I wonder if this ferking DJI piece of sh1te is ever going to work properly?

Last edited by a moderator:

conprot

hello Boris .Since you have the new imu v2 can you clarify me one point. It does not have an arrow to show which is front and back. how do you install it and what is the setup in the assistant? your reply will be highly appreciated .conprot

JB2013

And what about the people that has the v1 IMU and use it for heavy weight flights below 7kg?
I have a 4kg quad and i was thinking if i really need to change the IMU...

AEMontoya said: "So, what's the verdict with the new v2 IMU? Does it make a difference?" ?

Does it make a difference?

saidquad

And what about the people that has the v1 IMU and use it for heavy weight flights below 7kg?
I have a 4kg quad and i was thinking if i really need to change the IMU...

AEMontoya said: "So, what's the verdict with the new v2 IMU? Does it make a difference?" ?

Does it make a difference?
Up to 6kg I had no problem to use IMU v1. But heavier than 6kg strange behaviors started. I have not tested the IMU v2 yet so I don’t know if there would be any difference. I guess IMU v2 + vibration absorber kit + EVO arms is the way to go for 7kg birds.

gtranquilla

RadioActive
"Young farmer with 100 acres would be pleased to hear from young lady with tractor. Please send photograph of tractor." - Advertisement in Evesham Admag, 1977.:black_eyed:

+1 :tennis:

"Looking for nice girlfriend with iPhone/iPad.....please send photo of iPhone/iPad...."

Chris

Does anyone have opinion weather you need the latest versino 5.22 to work with the new IMU I am on 516 and happy with it. Do I need to upgrade?

MombasaFlash

Heli's & Tele's bloke
Does anyone have opinion weather you need the latest versino 5.22 to work with the new IMU I am on 516 and happy with it. Do I need to upgrade?

It is nothing to do with opinions. If you want to use the Bluetooth LED you must upgrade firmware to a minimum of 5.20. However, the IMU.v2 will function normally with FW 5.16 if you don't want or use the Bluetooth LED.

r44heli

Have also installed IMU V2 and the remote mounting tray with the S800 vibration absorber kit, Bluetooth LED and upgraded to 5.22 firmware. Machine seems to fly much the same as before, but have not done that much testing. The Go-Home does not work in 5.22, have gone back to 5.0 and it works fine, same story on our other machine with old version IMU, Go-home works fine in 5.20 but not in 5.22. Bluetooth LED works OK with V2 IMU and 5.20 firmware. Have also upgraded the NEX5R with the new 20mm F2.8 Sony lens, and its much better than the 16mm. We fly with well balanced 14x4.7 APC's and Secraft retracts (very reliable) and the machine is vibration free.

MombasaFlash

Heli's & Tele's bloke
Have also installed IMU V2 ...

After eons of waiting I have now received the S800 anti-vibe damper kit. I can see it being of real benefit for the camera mount but I am in two minds as to whether to mount the IMU.v2 on the supplied tray.

The previous height loss problem with the IMU.v1 appears to have been eradicated with the IMU.v2 mounted in the normal place but on a big fat gel pad, although a lot more flights are needed to make this definitive. What concerns me about mounting the IMU 'externally' on the tray is that although the IMU will be subjected to less high frequency vibration, I can see it being a little isolated from real airframe movement with the consequence that attitude correction might be slightly delayed as the dampers absorb small movements.

How do you secure the IMU.v2 to the tray? It cannot be mounted permanently otherwise the whole thing cannot be dismantled easily. I wonder if velcro would be stable enough?