WKM Yaw Twitching v5.24

PilotHal

Real Pilot, RC's Too
Hey;
I'm running a WKM on a stock F550 Flamewheel ARF with Graupner 8x5 props, 4S. I am finding that my yaw is "twitching" every once in a while. I first thought that it was the wind, but now I'm thinking it's a gain issue. In fact, I don't know what to think. But it is noticeable on my videos.
Any ideas?
Thanks.

When you say twitching is jerking back and forth or slowly moving left or right question?

Do you have any onboard video of what it looks like?

Did it only start occurring after the firmware upgrade?

I have a issue with the yaw also. As my voltage decreases it progressively tends to want to rotate counterclockwise. I didn't seem to have this issue during earlier firmwares.

Yeah I see what you're talking about. I have been fighting with something similar and it seems to hunt back and forth in straight forward flight also. As the voltage goes down it also just tends to want to turn counterclockwise. I was thinking switching over to a 4C set up and seeing if that helps. I'm only getting about four minute flight times without totally losing control of the yaw. Hopefully someone with more experience can shed some light on this situation.

PilotHal

Real Pilot, RC's Too
Yeah I see what you're talking about. I have been fighting with something similar and it seems to hunt back and forth in straight forward flight also. As the voltage goes down it also just tends to want to turn counterclockwise. I was thinking switching over to a 4C set up and seeing if that helps. I'm only getting about four minute flight times without totally losing control of the yaw. Hopefully someone with more experience can shed some light on this situation.
I went out today and played with the gains. I have my yaw gain up to 290% and it seems to have gotten a whole lot better. I do have a ton of weight on this F550 - 2 batwings, video TX, Zenmuse, and a GoPro H3. So it really is pretty heavy and I'm running a 6600mAh flat 4S pack as well! I think it's related to the weight. But I'll have to shoot more video and see how it reacts now that I jammed up the gains.

gtranquilla

RadioActive
My MR which is 800mm Hex c/w WooKong GPS firmware 5.20 has a similar issue. It will fly forward in a straight line in GPS or Attitude mode.... but when there is a breeze, especially from the side, it tends to yaw and then needs constant correction during forward flight. This is a problem when trying to do aerial video work with my GoPro3. I have my hands full with trying to keep the MR flying towards the target at a constant speed while maintaining a consistent altitude. It seems to me that I did not have these issues with my previous F550..... You would think that DJI would have Yaw stability built in to the MC such that it would be able to fly straight forward even in a crosswind....... I will try adjusting the Yaw gains to see if that helps...... now if I could just get a bit of wind to test that out!!!

gtranquilla

RadioActive
Here is a video which shows how unexpected yaw has occurred during forward flight.....You will see sudden yaw corrections at various points and will notice the direction of the wind when my MR approaches the flag on the green. This is a 500 yard fairway that doglegs to the right. It is also in a narrow valley such that I had to position myself on the top highest point on the ridge on the left side so that I could be assured optimum RC control and FPV radio signals throughout the flight. So how do I eliminate the random yaw that occurs....... spoiling the work I am required to provide to my video producer.

Last edited by a moderator: