WKM with SBus - channel mapping?

hover.ch

Until now I used WKM with Futaba SBUS without gimbal control. Besides the 4 basic functions I also used X2 (Ch5), X3 (Ch6) and U (Ch7) for different switching functions, as proposed in the WKM manual.

Now I want to also add my AV200 2-axis gimbal. For an octocopter, I have to use T and R outputs for gimbal control.
Q1) Which R/C channels can I use and how can I map these channels to the two gimbal axis (T and R output)?
Q2) Do I have to give up "IOC mode switching" or "Go Home", I hope not?

I'm puzzled. The WKM manual states that one can use 8 SBus channels, but how?

homer911

Use the spare channels on the receiver. Read the tx manual. It tells you how to program it.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

hover.ch

I'm using a Futaba R6203SB receiver, unfortunately I cannot remap the 3 separate channels (Ch1, Ch2 and Ch3) to a range above 7/8. Like that it seems to be impossible to control a 2-axis gimbal through WKM without giving up one of the other switching functions.

In the WKM manual they talk about 8 SBus channels which can be used. But I count only 7 channels, where is the 8th one?

homer911

Re-read my previous post again. Go to the Futaba manual, use the programming plug.

hover.ch

I've read the manual but as far as I'm aware of, the R6203SB has nothing similar to R6208SB's B-mode, where one can remap the separate channels to Ch9..Ch16.
Am I wrong?

hover.ch

And on Tx-side, I cannot do anything, I think. If the WKM uses the same S-Bus channels (Ch1 .. Ch7) as my separate Rx-channels (Ch1 .. Ch3), there is nothing to configure on Tx-side, right?

ChrisViperM

Your reveiver R6203SB got 3 "traditional" channels (CH1, CH2, CH3) and 18 S-Bus channels.....when you use S-Bus, then your CH1, CH2 CH3 become a "mirror" of the S-Bus channels 1,2,and 3. The problem with WooKong is that the channels it uses on S-Bus cannot be changed, regardless what you try, and as a consequence your CH1, CH2, CH3 are fixed as well. You cannot see these 3 channels as independent and assign them a different function or channel (once S-Bus is hooked up to WooKong).

Connection ports F1 and F2 on on the Wookong are not only to connect your gimbal as a means of controlling the gimbal, from these ports also comes the signals to stabilize your gimbal, in other words it's a gimbal stabilisation. Since you have an Oktocopter, these two ports are switched internally to become motor controller ports once you configure your bird as an Octo in the Assistent software.

In many cases (since the built-in gimbal stabilisation of the WooKong is crap) people use an extra gimbal stabilizer and a second receiver.

Chris

homer911

I use the sbus and I use tx switches for timers, IOC, failsafe, camera IR trigger, gimbal pitch control,

hover.ch

You can trigger the camera via SBus, i.e., via WKM?
What about "failsafe" - have you assigned a channel therefore?

homer911

No and yes. I trigger the shutter via channel 8 of my futaba rx. I have also set up the failsafe on one sbus channel. And obviously I have a channel assigned to the 3 flight modes

hover.ch

There seems to be no way (of using my Futaba R6203SB's channels 1..3). In order to not only control the gimbal pitch but also the camera shutter, I have to add a 2nd receiver.

The manual claimes that WKM can use the first 8 S-Bus channels but, in fact, it can only handle channel 1..7 (confirmed by DJI support). In order to use X3 for manual/tx gimbal control, I had to give up the possibility to initiate "go home" via R/C. I now assigned a tx switch to be able to force WKM into failsafe mode, which (I hope) should have the same effect as "go home"...

It's a pity so many things share the X3 input.
Would make sense being able to map all these things to S-Bus channels 8, 9, 10 .... so there is no conflict. :-(
This wouldn't be hard for DJI to do.

I am looking to buy a WKM and must be able to use the WKM pitch gimbal output, as well as be able to initiate a failsafe.
(Won't be shooting video here, just stills, so I have no need for the better 3rd party gimbal - so the WKM should do)

In order to use X3 for manual/tx gimbal control, I had to give up the possibility to initiate "go home" via R/C. I now assigned a tx switch to be able to force WKM into failsafe mode, which (I hope) should have the same effect as "go home"...
Hi hover.ch

How did you do this?

Maverick

If you buy a Futaba R6308SBT Rx, you can change the mode (A,B,C,D). I think it's D that allows you to use the traditional ports to gain channels 9-16, while 1-8 are gained via S-Bus...

If you buy a Futaba R6308SBT Rx, you can change the mode (A,B,C,D). I think it's D that allows you to use the traditional ports to gain channels 9-16, while 1-8 are gained via S-Bus...
Hi Maverick.
Thanks for the heads up on the Futaba RX operating modes.
(Have only looked at the R2008SB previously)
I see that you can re-map the upper 8 (ie 9-16) channels to the physical ports, and access the lower 8 via S-Bus.

Access the extra channels wasn't the issue.
The WKM uses 7 channels and you can access Ch8 on a bog standard RX anyway.

I was wondering how hover.ch used "a tx switch to be able to force WKM into failsafe mode" if he wasn't using the X3 input for this (because X32 is being used for something else).

Channel 6 would normally go to WKM's X3 input.

What is the work around?
And how is what would be Ch6 being used now?

(And if that is achievable, I would then feed Ch8 - assigned to a pot on the transmitter - into the X3 i/p to control the gimbal pitch.)

Unless hover.ch has re-coded the firmware, I don't see how it is possible to work around it internally within the WKM, so that another i/p triggers failsafe mode.
Obviously cannot use X1 or X2 i/ps.

What am I missing here?

Maverick

I'm not sure myself, but possibly, he has re-mapped the radio Tx's built-in Failsafe (F/S) to a spare switch...?? I don't know... I never tried it...

Maverick

Hi Maverick.
Thanks for the heads up on the Futaba RX operating modes.
(Have only looked at the R2008SB previously)
I see that you can re-map the upper 8 (ie 9-16) channels to the physical ports, and access the lower 8 via S-Bus.

Access the extra channels wasn't the issue.
The WKM uses 7 channels and you can access Ch8 on a bog standard RX anyway.

I was wondering how hover.ch used "a tx switch to be able to force WKM into failsafe mode" if he wasn't using the X3 input for this (because X32 is being used for something else).

Channel 6 would normally go to WKM's X3 input.

What is the work around?
And how is what would be Ch6 being used now?

(And if that is achievable, I would then feed Ch8 - assigned to a pot on the transmitter - into the X3 i/p to control the gimbal pitch.)

Unless hover.ch has re-coded the firmware, I don't see how it is possible to work around it internally within the WKM, so that another i/p triggers failsafe mode.
Obviously cannot use X1 or X2 i/ps.

What am I missing here?

Hey Jind...

I found this and wondered if you ever got sorted...???

Last edited by a moderator:

Howdy! Almost 4 months ago... and a lot of water under the bridge since.

Ended up getting a Taranis.
WKM FS simply enabled with a spare switch mapped to the U channel.

Ended up being much easier, once I had things in front of me to play with.