wkm will not RTH!

Davidhippo

Hi all,

So I set up my wookong on my F550 all working well and RTH working perfectly...

Changed the servos in my gimbal a few weeks back (being fed from the main batt via a BEC, command from the Wkm) and now, bizarrely the 'copter won't RTH, whenever I hit the RTH switch it just goes up to the 20m height and hovers... Just hovers, doesn't move at all. :upset:

I recalibrated the Compass again as explained in the wookong manual that you should after every change and have even tried upgrading the software/firmware/assistant in the hope that might cure it. The 'copter flies very smoothly in all ways apart from RTH

And yes of course, I always ensure the GPS is locked/home waypoint is marked before take off and I've checked the assistant software to ensure that the RTH/failsafe is set to RTH, not hover - I've even tried the custom height RTH setting and it just hovers at the custom altitude!

Spoken to the guys at Quadcopters and they'd not heard of this problem, they just suggested re-cal of compass.

Any/all help much appreciated, thanks in advance!

Dave.

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
Just as an experiment try unchecking the gimbal on/off box and see what happens. Since you said it started happening after you added a gimbal that would seem the logical next step. Next I would make sure your radio is setup correctly. No mixing on that one channel with anything related to gimbal override. Just ideas.

Carapau

Tek care, lambs ont road, MRF Moderator
Im having a similar problem. In the wookong assistant you can clearly see the RTH switch working and going from standby to rth however whilst flying absolutely nothing happens. It doesnt even change height. I have double checked all settings and even flown out a long way (50m), turned on the Home Lock which works flawlessly yet when I flick the return home switch absolutely nothing happens. I am really stumped on this. I have reflashed the firmware but I am not sure this is going to make any differenece

srbell

For those who can't get RTH to work, what firmware are you running? Currently 5.22's RTH function is not working. I had the same issue, but the RTH function in GCS works perfectly. DJI says it will be fixed soon in a new firmware upgrade. Even though DJI acknowledges the issue, I heard of others saying the RTH in 5.22 works, strange lol!

Davidhippo

I'm running 5.18 on my f550, I have a cinestar that runs 5.20 and the rth works fine. I'll perhaps try updating the f550 to 5.20 also. Thanks for the tips guys.

Important..... Many of us have had similar issues related to RTH failure and/or bucking bronco effect when activating RTH.
It is often associated with switching X2 values back and forth between the gimbal controller and the Basic and/or Attitude controller using X2 or X3.

Best to clear out any out-of-bounds X2 data loaded to your controller before switching back to Basic and Attitude Gain control or remote gain control.
In my case I ensured Basic and Attitude Gain inputs were inhibited, returned the gimbal settings back to default (especially important to return the gimbal centering values back to zero.
Then I wrote the data into the controller and exported it to EEPROM. Then shutdown Assistant and controller and rebooted, imported the EEPROM backup and wrote the data back to the controller before taking the MR out for a test flight including RTH...... all worked 100%

Eventually I dared to configure Basic and Attitude remote gain using X2 again......

something about out-of-bounds data from X2 getting written into the controller somehow and messing up PID control etc.

Either RTH causes your MR to remain in hover indefinitely or it will buck like a bronco on the return trip.

We had a very similar issue with two of our DJI Wookongs, both running 5.16 firmware. We set up a switch on our Spektrum DX8 TX to trigger X3 on the Wookong, and in the autopilot screen inside the DJI assistant we would see the status indicator switching between standby and failsafe. However in the air, the switch would do absolutely nothing, with no blue LED or any sign that failsafe had been engaged. However, when we turned off our TX, the flight mode endpoints we'd configured during failsafe binding of our Spektrum DX8 successfully engaged failsafe return to home.

To rectify the problem we set up a mix on a switch on our TX to force the craft into failsafe mode. On Mix 1 we set up the following:

Aux 1 to Aux 1 mix (we had set up our flight mode switch on Aux 1)
Rate = -60
Rate = -100
Offset = 40%
Trim = Inhibited
Switch = Mix 1 (an important step - it won't function properly if you don't specify the right switch here)

This allowed us to use the Mix/Hold switch to add values to our Aux 1 (our flight mode switch). One last thing to note is that we had previously set our flight mode switch endpoints to 85%/85% to allow it to hit GPS/Ati/Manual states. If you have similar values then the mix settings above should work ok - if not, you might need to do some slight tweaking to those values.

Hope this is of some help.

O

Fixing RTH

DavidHippo,

That should be easy to fix! Here is a clip from a previous posting where others had similar problems, either MR remains in hover or bucks violently on the RTH until just before landing.

"Problem is solved..... thanks all for your input/help.... My MR is now functioning 100% including RTH without any bucking during the return home.....

I stepped off the forum and posted a help request to UAVProducts USA where I bought my WKM. Here is Robert Remund's response....

"You have to make sure when you switched X2 back you did not put it back on gains thus causing all the oscillations.".....

WOW.... that is what I call quality technical support service.""

FURTHER COMMENTS: As to the reason why, it would be guesswork..... IMHO I:tennis: believe that the programming does not have total error correction built-in to distinguish bogus input data...... in this case a signed integer value for X2 residing in the program from the last Gimbal configuration is being grabbed by the RTH and/or loop controller function which requires an unsigned, i.e., positive integer only...... resulting is a subroutine failure with RTH.

Hi all,

So I set up my wookong on my F550 all working well and RTH working perfectly...

Changed the servos in my gimbal a few weeks back (being fed from the main batt via a BEC, command from the Wkm) and now, bizarrely the 'copter won't RTH, whenever I hit the RTH switch it just goes up to the 20m height and hovers... Just hovers, doesn't move at all. :upset:

I recalibrated the Compass again as explained in the wookong manual that you should after every change and have even tried upgrading the software/firmware/assistant in the hope that might cure it. The 'copter flies very smoothly in all ways apart from RTH

And yes of course, I always ensure the GPS is locked/home waypoint is marked before take off and I've checked the assistant software to ensure that the RTH/failsafe is set to RTH, not hover - I've even tried the custom height RTH setting and it just hovers at the custom altitude!

Spoken to the guys at Quadcopters and they'd not heard of this problem, they just suggested re-cal of compass.

Any/all help much appreciated, thanks in advance!

Dave.