WKM versus NAZA

rwijnhov

Naza flies better and rth is easy to programm to a switch with the naza by using a mixer.

Verstuurd van mijn GT-N8000 met Tapatalk

I have both and both work very well..... The reason I bought the WKM was because it offers a stronger "future migration path"..... meaning one can extend it's capabilities much further both now and in the future. The NAZA is Hobby grade with has finite limits right out of the box.

The WKM is so-called commercial/industrial grade. The ability to use it with Google Earth overlay and goto waypoint missions is intriguing and something I want to explore further. My intent is to do a proof of concept study and see if it is a good fit for the following possible applications:
1) Pipeline aerial monitoring (video and/or still photos)
2) Search and Rescue - it has grid pattern capability to automatically search a pre-determined section of land
3) Photogrammetry

Iris.....
I believe that is correct. There are only 6 channels for escs and unless F1, F2 can be reconfigured to support escs by some future version of Assistant and the MCU sw/fw Octo will not be supported. Guess they had to draw a line on features somewhere.

Naza flies better and rth is easy to programm to a switch with the naza by using a mixer.

Verstuurd van mijn GT-N8000 met Tapatalk

@PeterLester would it be possible to confirm this. You state you have both the Naza and the WKM. Is this your opinion also? Many thanks.

02deuce

Time Warped
Having both, the WKM is a much more stable platform especially in GPS lock mode. It is also more suited for a heavier A/P setup. One of the big advantages of the WKM for me is the programmable RTH altitude where as the Naza is locked to 60' (I fly in areas where tree heights well exceed 100'). Bottom line WKM is over kill for just FPV use, and NAZA great for Sport FPV, and light weight A/P usage, but is weak for a heavy A/P setup. My two cents.

rwijnhov

Honestly i have had 2 wookongs and 2 naza's both al on an 5kg flexacopter en 2,5kg quad. With wookong I could never get the small wobles tuned out. With the naza never any issuess with small wobbles.

My Naza has better GPS performance than my Wkm is easier to setup and has identical flight performance. If you don't need a Zenmuse (with the new brushless gimbals coming out you don't) or the POS iOSD that never works save your money and buy the Naza.

FerdinandK

If this is important for you, the Naza has about 100gr less weight. (weight on a copter is always important)

best regards

Ferdinand

I cannot confirm that.....
I have had only one flight with the WKM so far..... it's too cold now to fly and I am busy with Ground Station Control simulations.
My first flight with the WKM was perfect but I didn't push it hard because I don't trust the slow fly props.
I programmed it in the same manner as the NAZA c/w RTH, IOC but also some additional capabilities available in WKM assistant and the WKM controller.
Since I am using s.bus on the Futaba T8FG Super RC system as per Jon DesJardins's youtube instructions I did not run into any issues with programming until I got to the extra features which I have not yet programmed.

Benchmark

I have both .
The wookong is a professional platform. It is actually a tad more stable for aerial / video work and a list of configurable functions that are useful for the cinematographer .
If you search online you can read what it offers but in my case , these are a few of its functions that are most important for me.
1. Octo support.
2. In case of a motor of prop failure, it immediately autocompensates with the other propellers allowing you to land safely . Very important if you have a lot of expensive photo equipment. The Naza will just crash if that happens.
3. Waypoint support and mission capable.
4. POI function useful for 360 degrees aerial shots.
5. Enhanced safety options like Height and distance limit configuration. (Just released today)
6. Configurable RTH fail safe altitude.

if you are just looking for a bash around controller for fun or FPV then get the Naza but for a more prof AV setup then investing in the wookong will payoff.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rehost

I have both .
The wookong is a professional platform. It is actually a tad more stable for aerial / video work and a list of configurable functions that are useful for the cinematographer .
If you search online you can read what it offers but in my case , these are a few of its functions that are most important for me.
1. Octo support.
2. In case of a motor of prop failure, it immediately autocompensates with the other propellers allowing you to land safely . Very important if you have a lot of expensive photo equipment. The Naza will just crash if that happens.
3. Waypoint support and mission capable.
4. POI function useful for 360 degrees aerial shots.
5. Enhanced safety options like Height and distance limit configuration. (Just released today)
6. Configurable RTH fail safe altitude.

if you are just looking for a bash around controller for fun or FPV then get the Naza but for a more prof AV setup then investing in the wookong will payoff.

I don't understand the technical workings of each FC, but how does a WKM know a prob broke? I think the "auto compensation" is just the nature of the FCs. Also, Octos are inherently more forgiving to motor/prop failure due to their redundant power.

At least that's what I understand?

Dan

FerdinandK

Naza X12 loosing 2 props during flight (and could land without problems)

If you want to rescue your copter after loosing a prop, the only thing that helps is power, the best WKM - algorithm cannot work if the power is insufficient.
(some lessons exercising in manual-mode also might be of advantage)

best regards

Ferdinand

Last edited by a moderator:

This is how I understand it.....The technical workings are primary in the IMU (9dof approx) which is constantly struggling to maintain level flight except when there is no joystick override. Apparently the FC may also be able to determine which quadrant has lost thrust (but cannot distinguish between a motor failure and a lost prop).

I don't understand the technical workings of each FC, but how does a WKM know a prob broke? I think the "auto compensation" is just the nature of the FCs. Also, Octos are inherently more forgiving to motor/prop failure due to their redundant power.

At least that's what I understand?

Dan

Very nice aerial video of what this is all about. I would be freaked though to take over in Manual control in a win or lose situation like that..... I need to practice in manual more.

Rehost

Ferdinand I think I would be changing my underwear when I got home after that. Scary! What is your copter setup? In terms of gimbal and FPV?

Peter that's pretty cool! Smart little machines :)

Dan

Completed my 2nd flight today with the WKM..... and in relatively breezy conditions..... it works 100% but hard to compare with my Naza as the WKM is on a F550 frame with extended arms, larger motors and props, landing gear, camera gimbal and dummy camera load equivalent to a GoPro3 weight. All in all another perfect flight c/w GPS straight line tracking test, etc., etc., All-in-all it flys as well or better than my Naza..... hope to test it again tomorrow on using GCS and datalink to my computer.