WKM v.5.20 experiences

magic1

Does anyone know how to downgrade from 5.20 to a previous version. My s800 keeps dropping altitude and throttle is really not responsive, white lights etc. It's crash mode. Just can't figure out how to downgrade to older version of firmware. Help would be appreciated.

VINHEX

De-Install assistant.. Install Assistant software 5.16 and then boot up with Assistant running this will pull down the firmware for that version..

Hi
I got told today by my DJI dealer that there is a problem with the Wookong IUM if the S800 is more the 7kg. It only happens on v. 5.20 and causes the copter to drop in altitude. DJI has a fix coming out mid April. They want us to buy a new IMU which I believe is in a steel case now. The email I got was to contact DJI and confirm it with them first and then tell them your dealer, they will sent out a new IMU to the dealer and you are to send your IMU back to your dealer, dealer sends you the new IMU and DJI the old one. I don't mind this but it seems that DJI wants to charge for it. Why? They have could a fault in the product so they would replace if FOC.

elossam

That has no sense. How does the IMU know it is mounted on a S800 or a custom frame?. How does it know it's driving a 3kg or a 10 kg multi? It receives signal pulses and sends signal pulses and they are the same in all cases. May be they are right and the IMU are faulty but see no relation between the frame weigh and the way the IMU works.

Please see below the email sent for our dealer.

Dear DJI Dealers,

After continued and extensive testing, DJI has found that if a S800 is heavily loaded (for example above 7kg), then in some flight situations the WooKong M IMU may have difficulty maintaining a fixed altitude .

DJI have specially developed a new Wookong-M IMU with an improved hardware and algorithm for this particular situation and the IMU also has a metal case, this new version is better suited to S800 setups weighing more than 7kg. The new IMU will be released in early April.

DJI would like to offer an upgrade option to current S800 / Wookong-M users. The upgrade involves the exchange of your current IMU.

Upgrade Procedure:

1. S800 / WKM user contact DJI (imu_upgrade@DJI-Innovations.com) for your WKM IMU upgrade request

2. S800 / WKM user sends the current IMU back to the dealer after getting confirmation from DJI

3. DJI sends the new IMU to the dealer

4. The dealer returns the IMU back to DJI HQ

To obtain the Cost of this upgrade: please contact imu_upgrade@DJI-Innovations.com

elossam

Looks to me it is more related to the power available from the S800 engines to hold the altitude in heavy configurations. The problem is the S800. It can not support too much weigh with its plastic frame and his engines are not powerful enough to manage them with a safe margin. Instead recon that DJI wants you to spend more money in a new IMU. Sorry but it still has no sense imo.

kristiaj

I actually experienced somthing like this. I have changed ESC's and wanted to stress test them with max load to be sure they don't get too hot. So I added 1kg+ more than I usually carry, total around 6kg. After a while I had to increase throttle to 75% just to keep altitude. I thought it was due to esc/battery overload/heat, but this may actually be caused by the bug you described here. No problem for me since I have no plan carrying that much, and it was still controllable. But I probably will not buy a WKM for the heavy octo I'm planning to build.

gtranquilla

RadioActive
I understand how you feel.... I felt the same way until I dug into the physics behind the development of PID loop control using IMUs for heavier than originally anticipated MR design parameters. Programmer's cannot always anticipate future possibilities as to where the MRs are evolving towards. Basically the original design scope is now being exceeded and additional scope cannot be designed for without increasing the product value and cost.

Hi
I got told today by my DJI dealer that there is a problem with the Wookong IUM if the S800 is more the 7kg. It only happens on v. 5.20 and causes the copter to drop in altitude. DJI has a fix coming out mid April. They want us to buy a new IMU which I believe is in a steel case now. The email I got was to contact DJI and confirm it with them first and then tell them your dealer, they will sent out a new IMU to the dealer and you are to send your IMU back to your dealer, dealer sends you the new IMU and DJI the old one. I don't mind this but it seems that DJI wants to charge for it. Why? They have could a fault in the product so they would replace if FOC.

jetbootz

I have 5 WKM's. I paid for functioning units. how does DJI expect to foster good customer relations ? by charging loyal customers for "upgrading " FAULTY units????????? back to school for customer service 101 lessons I think. loyalty is getting less and less every day. It is not their products that will damage and destoy DJI. It is their poor support, poor communication , failure to admit problems in a timely manner, and wanting us to PAY for putting THEIR mistakes right.

As more and more compnaies make alternatives to DJI, people who would have stayed loyal myself included will start to look elsewhere unless we get much better support and communication.

I wonder how much its going to cost me to "upgrade" my 5 x WKMS ?????? 1000 ? 1500 ? 2000 ?????????

this is NOT how you keep your customers loyal

olof

Osprey
I have 5 WKM's. I paid for functioning units. how does DJI expect to foster good customer relations ? by charging loyal customers for "upgrading " FAULTY units????????? back to school for customer service 101 lessons I think. loyalty is getting less and less every day. It is not their products that will damage and destoy DJI. It is their poor support, poor communication , failure to admit problems in a timely manner, and wanting us to PAY for putting THEIR mistakes right.

As more and more companies make alternatives to DJI, people who would have stayed loyal myself included will start to look elsewhere unless we get much better support and communication.

I wonder how much its going to cost me to "upgrade" my 5 x WKMS ?????? 1000 ? 1500 ? 2000 ?????????

this is NOT how you keep your customers loyal

I still have not had any problems with 5.16, 5.18 or 5.20, but i emailed DJI and my dealer anyway to find out what the upgrade entails.

I have the S800, Zenmuse Nex5n, iOSD and DJI 5.8 GHZ downlink, I am still below 7Kg and the 800 flies just fine on 2 6000's or 2 5500's 30-70C Lipos. Yes it does act like it is heavy, because it is but I fly it gently and anticipate downdrafts and start to slow a decent early. I have seen the white blinking light when maneuvering hard or in heavy turbulent wind, but landing will always clear the white blinks and often just hovering for a while will too.

So unless I go for the retracts I may not need the upgrade. Maybe the upgrade will make it possible to carry 2/12,000 lipos for longer flights. That may be interesting though I find 10-12 minutes to be plenty, I am usually ready for a rest after 12 minutes or so anyway.

fritz99

Hi
I got an email yesterday. $240 for the new IMU doing it as an exchange.

That is crazy !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
DJI tells us that there is a problem with S800 and heavy load.
And therefore we have to pay.

To DJI : " Please think about what you are doing with your customers "

I have S800 with Z15 and NEX-7

Fritz

Last edited by a moderator:

olof

Osprey
I am very curious to get reports as to how improved this new IMU is.

If it is an improvement and offers better control and more resistance to turbulence and other rough conditions and allows bigger payload, then I would be happy to pay $240.00 for the upgrade.

I am not having any big problems with my 800 Zen kit, but a $250.00 upgrade is peanuts as the whole kit is 10K or so, the cost of a new battery. We add improvements to our cars, cameras etc. all the time as technology gets better.

If DJI has improved the IMU that is great, and if they offer an upgrade that is even better.

Hi
I wrote an email to DJI and this was there reply.

Hi Sierra
I contacted My dealer as per your request. They have informed me that we have to send back the IMU to you and then you will replace the IMU with this new one in the steel case because of the altitude problem you are having with your products in relation to the S800 and the Wookong if your payload is around 7kg.
In Febuary of 2013 we have spent around €7,000 on DJI products. We use an S800, Wookong, iOSD, Z15, Data link, 5.8G Video link, Phantom and spares for both builds. Our payload is around 7kg. There is no where on your manuals and/or website to say if you buy all of our product range 2 months later you will have to buy a new IMU. Our IMU is not faulty as far as we are aware, but you as a manufacture have now told me it might be faulty because of my payload. Great thanks for telling me but please don’t charge me as this fault is a manufactures issue not a consumers issue. Why am I being charged for this IMU? Was I misled by you and your dealer?
As a manufacture I please ask you to talk to your dealer, arrange for them to collect the IMU from us and the new IMU that we need to be sent to us free of charge? As stated before I feel we have been misled when buying these products as now we are being told our products won’t work properly due to an oversight by the manufactures.
Thank you for reading this email and I hope to hear from you soon in relation to this email.

Reply from DJI

Dear Damien,

Thanks for your email. I totally understood!
Actually, this is an option for those customers who are having height dropping problem when the load is over 7kg, it’s designed for solving the huge vibration issues, but it doesn’t mean there’s any problem with the product itself.
If you’re not gonna be overload and not having the problem, then you’ll always have the choice to keep the old one instead of exchanging it.
If you’d like to exchange it to the upgraded version, you’ll have to contact your dealer, they’ll take care of it, but it’s ok that you send it back instead.
The old IMU is around $500, and this upgrading one is $240 for exchange, but it not only able to solve the vibrating problem but most importantly it has improvement in the IMU’s hardware and software.
Sorry for that, but it would be the best option and price as the cost of making it is higher, and we are actually not making money from that

Best regards

What a joke.

gtranquilla

RadioActive
WKM v 5.20 experiences More expensive IMU option

As the Multirotor industry evolves to accomodate greater AUW - all up weights and corresponding larger motors with increased magnitude vibration issues, additional and unforeseen challenges seem to be appearing.
If this is the case with DJI, would it not also be the case for MikroKopter and other MR controller manufacturers?

Or did MK and others have the foresight to initially design their controllers, software and firmware to accomodate MRs with AUW above 7 kg as well as larger motor vibration issues in their original design?:apathy: