wkm starting out of hand?

rolle

is it possible to start a wkm system out of hand?

calibrate the system on a flat surface, take it in hands over head, arming the system (motor start) and starting?

we are filming in nature and sometimes it is hard to find a good place to start and it would be easier to start out of hands.

we made it with mirkokopter without any problem but never done this with wkm because it needs a flat surface to calibrate (mikrokopter can start from everywhere)

any experiences?

thank you!!!
Rolle

Benjamin Kenobi

Easy? You call that easy?
I think it should be possible. Startup on level ground and allow to start properly then hand launch. Sounds like fun!!!

Pjtyros

Start from a table or lay a board on the ground. To start from hand is total madness, and breaks every safety rule in the book. If your work is paid and you are in the UK then you will be aware of the CAA rules. I don't want to spoil your fun but have you seen the damage a prop can do!

rolle

It isn't a Problem to start a Multirotor from hand. I fly Helikopters and Big 3D Planes since many years and i started mikrokopter driven multirotors from hand without any problem. Once mikrokopter is calibrated, then you can start from everywhere - even from hand...
I am in this business since more than three years and believe me there are situations where starting from Hand is The only choice to do the job.

rolle

I imagine in a deep and dark jungle it could be very handy. Let us know how you get on.

imagine, you're standing on a small balcony of a big and high church and you want to film near to the walls of the church, wich isn't good to do when standing before the church on the ground.
To start and land from hand is the best way to do this. Sure - it is good to have a small copter for this. i wouldn't do it with one of my big cinestar8 and the blackmagic cam or the FS100. but with a small hexa equiped with a light GH3 or NEX7 - why not?

i will write an email to the dji support to see if it is possible with wkm to do it.

hover.ch

If you were a manufacturer, would you really say yes to such a request? Telling someone to start a MR from over his head?

There is an interesting thread in this forum about a WKM-MR flipping over upon launch, after 200 successful flights...
Two days ago a Swiss RC pilot has been killed by his helicopter (not by his MR you will say, anyway)...

Think twice.

Benjamin Kenobi

I remember a year ago there was a video of someone throwing there F450 into the air and starting the motors. It started instantly and stayed there. I was most impressed.

Haven't people been hand launching planes for many years?

hover.ch

A hand-launched plane rarely returns rigth back into your face/head, with or without a potential failure. This is not the case for an MR with 4-8 high-speed rotating, pretty sharp propellers.

I just observe how many RC pilots don't follow basic safety procedures like e.g. not flying over a crowd etc.. Such behavior will eventually lead to new regulations which hinder all of us doing cool yet safe stuff. That's my personal approach of this topic.

Benjamin Kenobi

On my BNUC-S course the safety video was of hand launched planes hitting people on take off.

Do we even know what craft he's flying? I wouldn't hand launch an S800 but my F550 sure.

rolle

as i said i wouldn't start one of my cinestar8 with heavy cameras from hand... but a small kopter with a light camera.
i even saw people with a X16 (okto with 16 motors) starting and landing this huge thing from hand... i would never ever do this because i need my fingers...

oh and look at the demo videos at mikrokopter... he catches his hexa... :)