Wiring Harness VS Distribution Boards

BBr0

I know this has been discussed before but wanted to see what everyone's thoughts were on using a harness vs a DB for power from the Esc's.

I'm building a Tarot 650 and the frame is extra tight on space also the carbon is conductive, so don't wanna mount the board directly on the frame.

Any thoughts

Thanks!

SleepyC

www.AirHeadMedia.com
I'm a PDB guy. With a harness you never know the condition of your soldier joint on the inside. And even a crack can cause a lot of resistance and end up melting the soldier and bringing a rig down. I had a friend with a HL OCTO with a harness. Guy is a pro, no half assing it. But after many flights the harness much have split a little, it caused resistance and the entire system got so hot it unsoldered batt leads and the rig dropped like a rock. :(

BBr0

thanks for sharing. I think the biggest struggle I have right now is finding the best place to put the DB on the frame. Anyone have any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks!

Old Man

It's compact but prone to failures. I've used the Vulcan PDB and it works just great but does require a really good iron to solder it. There used to be a super nice distribution hub called the Hive Mini but it seems to be no longer available anywhere. Real estate does not have to be limited if you think outside the obvious. Carbon plate can be cut and added, spare deck plates can be purchased and stacked with stand offs, and nylon standoffs from places like DigiKey will isolate anything that needs isolation. Look at heat shrink while you're visiting the site. Booms can be used for mounting under slung stuff, and landing gear legs are great places for things like video transmitters and some RC receivers. Bad places for batteries though. Battery mounts do not have to be used for batteries and extras can be purchased and modified to fit a need. Think "dual purpose" for anything you look at. The item is intended for one thing but what else might it also be used for?

Speaking of stuff to look at, Mouser Electronics has about the widest selection of zip ties I've ever seen.

Be creative and make it what you want it to be!