Wind Power Plant assembly at 140m

hexacop

HexaCop
Yesterday I had the opportunity to make a video of the final assembly of a Enercon E82 wind power plant.
It took around 4h until the 82m rotor was lifted to his final working place at a height of around 140m

The rotor was mounted on the ground the day before:

Kopter used: Six2fold and BL Gimbal for CX730 from www.kamkop.de
Camera CX730, stabilization set to standard (tripod mode)

Last edited by a moderator:

SamaraMedia

Wow! That's some steady footage, especially on the zoomed shots. Nicely done. What kind of fight times were you working with over the 4 hours of filming? Must have been well planned and fortunate to have very calm conditions, I can imagine what those guys on the ground would need to do to keep that big blade steady and not hit the crane in windy conditions.

John

hexacop

HexaCop
Hi John,
actually I had only 4 batteries 5800 5S, flight time is around 9 min. I was aware of how long it will take so I made sure to lift off only for the most important events.
Luckily I could park my car very close so I could recharge after each flight.
The wind conditions where good yesterday, anyway they would not be able to lift the rotor if the wind is >9km/h. They day before they had to postpone the work due to winds >17km/h
Also you can see the video footage from previous day is a little shaky but this is more related to the camera stabilizer. The results are much better when I set stabilizer to standard and not to ON! but I forgot to set it back after I used the camera on the ground to record some of that ground work.

MombasaFlash

Heli's & Tele's bloke
Yesterday I had the opportunity to make a video...

What a thoroughly absorbing clip that is ... they are ... really nicely set up gear you are using there. I never cease to be amazed at the absolute stillness that a well calibrated BL gimbal can achieve.

Well done!

And just who are these guys that clamber over, around and inside these incredible machines both on the ground and 400' in the air on the edge of a lip? So nice to see the precision when a two ton blade (that's just a guess at the weight!) is gently slipped into place at the end of a cable. So much respect.

Last edited by a moderator:

hexacop

HexaCop
Thank you, it was a real experience to see how they build such a tall power plant, but the guys there where not impressed at all, they build much bigger ones up to 150m hight with a a diameter of 126m!
The weight of the E82 rotor is 74t!

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
Are you using a Sony CX***? very stable. That was more nerve racking to watch than a suspense film! nice work. You couldnt pay me enough to do that job, yikes!

eyeball

Great video hexacop...but did anyone notice the ufo at 3.40 entering from stage left and the first video???

SamaraMedia

So what are you using for FC, really is locked in as your altitude and positioning rarely wavered from its hover spot on the tight zoom. Really well executed video and nerves of steel to keep it steady that high up. Did you use a ground station monitor or FPV?

John

hexacop

HexaCop
This is my Six2Fold, the picture was made the same day right there at the construction site.
FC is a simple Naza V1 with latest Firmware 3.14.
Total wight of the copter is 4.2Kg including everything you see on the picture, including the 5S 5800 battery.
View attachment 12831

I have mounted the monitor on top of the transmitter and I'm using an additional joystick (blue button top left on the TX) to control pitch and yaw of the the camera.

View attachment 12832

The ufo is a plane approaching Munich airport at 4x speed, I've increased the speed of some scenes to keep the video shorter...

Attachments

• six2fold.jpg
    six2fold.jpg
    155.1 KB · Views: 129
  • groundstation.jpg
    groundstation.jpg
    134 KB · Views: 167