Will the hexacopter be able to land safely with motor failure

edgarj

Hello:

I am trying to decide from quAD OR HEX, the reason is my concern if I will be able to land the multicopter in case of a motor failure. I am planning to use the NAza Lite, but I am not sure if it will work with 5 motors in case one fail.

Any advise? if it will work?

glacier51

Edgar:

I threw the left front prop on a DJI F550 hexa X config and was able to get it to fly back to where I took off from, but ended up dumping it in a big bush prior to actually landing it. I didn't know at the time it was a front prop, I just wanted to get it back closer to me. The first hint it was a front prop was it didn't want to stop and I got it into the hover about 10yds past where I wanted it to stop with full after cyclic.

One of the DJI demo videos is a hexa flying on 5 props and one of the suggestions is to put the flight controller into Course Lock so the yaw doesn't effect you bringing it home. My suggestion is to use Home Lock, since it will bring you back to where you took off, with GPS installed of course

The loss of thrust on a motor can be simulated by going into Home Lock and as you input aft cyclic, introduce yaw. The hexa will merrily spin around while it flies back home.

Ron

Quinton

Skyjib S6 with front left motor out carrying a 5D Zenmuse and CAMERA (3kg) extra.
You will lose the ability to yaw when bringing it home.

Last edited by a moderator:

jfro

Aerial Fun

Skyjib S6 with front left motor out carrying a 5D Zenmuse and CAMERA (3kg) extra.
You will lose the ability to yaw when bringing it home.

That was nicely controlled. Was expecting it to spin a bit.

What flight controller?

The video I watched from DJI on a motor out on a hex showed the hex spinning as it was coming down. On dji, you have to use home or course lock to bring it back when motor/prop out.

Last edited by a moderator:

Quinton

That was nicely controlled. Was expecting it to spin a bit.

What flight controller?

The video I watched from DJI on a motor out on a hex showed the hex spinning as it was coming down. On dji, you have to use home or course lock to bring it back when motor/prop out.

This was a Wookong flying 5.26, and it was in GPS mode.
Seemed to be a bad ESC in the end, it would suddenly stop the motor and you could hear a high pitch squeel, if you landed and started the motors again it would start up again.
It seemed to come on when "hard" yawing, so every time I take off I now "hard" yaw four or five turns both directions to make sure things are good to go.