Why mass balancing

DennyR

I found this clip from a few years back that shows a mod. that I made to my steadicam big rig. It shows how mass balancing can stabilize even a seventy pound rig like this one. Ivan the terrible takes me over every speed bump in Limassol to conduct the test at high speed. Another camera in the back of my model trailer records the events.:tennis: The show off on the bike at the end was an off duty speed cop.:dread:

Last edited by a moderator:

ChrisViperM

I found this clip from a few years back that shows a mod. that I made to my steadicam big rig. It shows how mass balancing can stabilize even a seventy pound rig like this one. Ivan the terrible takes me over every speed bump in Limassol to conduct the test at high speed. Another camera in the back of my model trailer records the events.:tennis: The show off on the bike at the end was an off duty speed cop.:dread:

Hi Denny

...looks like you took some serious bumps on that trip...but the footage is super smooth....

When following all the threads in this forum about problems with various stabilization software, I had a deeper look how this is done with professional "ground" equipment, just to see that all this pro-systems are somehow mass balanced. Why using complicated electronic stuff if gravity is your friend...The only thing similar for Multirotors I could find was this guy: http://ecilop.tv/ ... but it looks that thing never hit the market big...although I can imagine it should work great.

Chris

DennyR

Yep, it certainly was rough over the bumps, I don't think the Zen would take that. Ecilop uses a balanced beam and some electronics so it should be quite good but probably a little heavy. I'm glad I no longer do big rig steadicam work. You need to be very strong and it takes it's toll on your hip joints and lower back. A bit like hod carriers on a building site. You only have so many years of work before it gets you.

ChrisViperM

c'mon...you don't look THAT old on the vid.... but I guess it looks a lot easier to run around with all that steadycam equipment mounted onto someone than it actually is...

Stacky

I know a guy down here in NZ who has the Ecilop, I have been flying a few times with him when he was using it. It works very well, its got a natural feel to the movement and the footage out of his one is very very nice. It was a bit of work for him to get it tuned but its a very nice setup. His Ecilop isnt very heavy and the frame is very nicely made, its a good quality build. I would buy one if I had the spare cash at present. Actually the guy who has it posts on here as JamieNZ.

Hi Denny

...looks like you took some serious bumps on that trip...but the footage is super smooth....

When following all the threads in this forum about problems with various stabilization software, I had a deeper look how this is done with professional "ground" equipment, just to see that all this pro-systems are somehow mass balanced. Why using complicated electronic stuff if gravity is your friend...The only thing similar for Multirotors I could find was this guy: http://ecilop.tv/ ... but it looks that thing never hit the market big...although I can imagine it should work great.

Chris

DennyR

Well I'll be 70 next year. It's not the short term stress that gets you, it's when you turn up for say a live Eurovision Song contest rehearsal and some ***** of a director hands you a shot list and you see you're camera 7 which means you are going to spend the next 6 hours running on and off the stage trying to stay out of six other cameras shot. The sweat that you loose is unbelievable. Can you imagine carrying 60 lbs plus loaded into your jacket. The directors calls are in a code and probably not in your language. Stressfull is how I would describe it. Operators earn their money.

ChrisViperM

Well I'll be 70 next year.,,,

Highest respect.....If I am that fit in my brain at the age of 70, I go to church every day and say thank you Lord.....Did you ever think about writing a book....seriously, it would be highly interesting to read some background story from your point of view....also to get some knowledge on how all the technology changed over the years.

Think about it...

Chris

DennyR

Well thanks Chris. I have published about twenty books already so I just want to slip into gradual retirement. Tried it once and my golf did not improve so I guess I'll just have to keep working a bit longer.

intresting video!
I am using the ecilop as well, its very very good and I guess its less weight then a standard 2 axis gimbal..plus the copter is very agile
I am working these days to build a diy solution for something bigger then a nex...maybe up to a sony fs 100
my guess is the design would work even better with more mass..but I will need stonger servos and stronger springs, longer arms

btw...can anybody recommend a fast and strong servo? for the nex I use a super fast digital servo on the cilop.. 0.005 sec for 6deg with 2kg torque
I guess I need something with 8-10kg torque and as fast as possible

DennyR

I did build a balanced beam quad a while back and it was very good until it got a bit turbulent. Once that floating mass starts to run out of travel it can interfere with the models stability then it can get very unstable.

The MKS HV787 is a very fast servo at 8.4 volts also the Hitec HS-M 7990th

jes1111

It shows how mass balancing can stabilize even a seventy pound rig like this one.
Mass balancing and two Kenyons ;) I thought I could hear them at the beginning of the video. Good way to develop arm muscles, too!

DennyR

Three actually, two KS-8 and one KS-12. very powerful. very heavy. Mechanical stabilization is a thing of the past. But it only works if it is balanced properly with each axis crossing at a precise central point and you keep it away from wind.
Arm movements are not used that much as it is a finger light movement. Its your back that takes the hit. That one is sitting on a mitchell mount in the trailer so I only have to deal with my own body inertia.:tennis: