Who adds capacitors to their power train

coreyperez

Jes,

thanks for for the in depth help. I was going to order a group and seen there was a 16 week lead time! eBay, etc didn't turn up any others. I did see different versions, but not knowing enough about the coding (within the name) I'm not sure what I'm looking at.

I may may have to just grab a different version and hope they don't get me in trouble.

Do you all recommend mounting them at the motor end, power Distribution end, or mid-way?

Thanks,

corey

jes1111

Assuming your are in the USA - you can try mouser.com, farnell.com (in US?) or digikey.com - I'm sure there are many other sources that folk here can suggest. You specifically need "Low ESR" types - nothing else will do. The two big names are Panasonic (FR Series) and Rubicon (don't know the nomenclature for them but look for Low ESR).

coreyperez

Alright! Just ordered 100 CAPs, and 70 ferrite chokes (couple different sizes). 80$ something, but hopefully I'll be set!

Thanks for doing the homework!

Now, where do you recommend mounting them? My ESCs are under-motor. I was going to mountthem at thepowerdistribution. In tube would not allow them to be checked.

Corey

jes1111

Alright! Just ordered 100 CAPs, and 70 ferrite chokes (couple different sizes). 80$ something, but hopefully I'll be set!

Thanks for doing the homework!

Now, where do you recommend mounting them? My ESCs are under-motor. I was going to mountthem at thepowerdistribution. In tube would not allow them to be checked.

Corey
Definitely at the ESC end - as close as possible to the ESC (as they come from the factory). No good putting them anywhere else, unfortunately. By "in tube" do you mean you have your ESCs inside the tubular arm? - that looks cool but not good for heat dissipation (which is what will eventually kill the capacitors and , ultimately, the ESC). :(

coreyperez

Yes, in the carbon tune was what I was curious about. I figured with as hot as the get on tv,s they would be fine there. But placing them there next to the ESC will, as you said, make it easy for inspection/replacement.

corey

coreyperez

Well I got a huge package from digi-key today. All my capacitors and ferrites! Nite when I get back to Korea, ill get my 680 finished!

Corey