Which Tx/Rx to choose that will allow me to expand in the future without an upgrade?

pptvark

Howdy! Any advice or help directing to a previous thread would be awesome and much appreciated!

I have just ordered a f450/naza setup as my first real multirotor! Stoked! I need help choosing a tx/rx that will be able to grow as I get more experience as my eventual goal is to shoot fpv photo/video from a larger platform. I don't want cheap--I want a dependable tx/rx that will allow me to control pan/tilt video feed while flying. I am pretty sure there are many models that have levers/ slides/ knobs to do just that, but would love any feedback in making my decision. It would also be nice if it had some type of bolt-on attachment capability for adding an FPV LCD as a ground station.

My budget is about $700 since I hope to use this radio for years without needing to upgrade, and there is no risk of it crashing!

I am looking at the JR XG11 11-Ch DMSS Transmitter w/RG1131B Rx, DT

Any suggestions or personal experience anecdotes would be awesome!

Thanks!
Tvark

PeteDee

Mr take no prisoners!
Futaba 8FG Super or 14SG. I run Spektrum and Futaba and if I could only have one radio it would be a 14SG even though the Spektrum is way easier to program.

Cheers

Pete

pptvark

Thanks Pete!

No worries on programming-- since I don't have anything to compare it to I will just have to stay up late and geek out-sweet.

Rx? Range (not trying to push it, just take some cool video)?

Anything else I will need to fly? Servos? I'm not sure exactly what servos mean, but I thought it meant little radio controlled motors that can do stuff?

Dependable/well made?

Anyone know of a dependable vendor in the US?

Cheers!
Tvark

pptvark

Sorry, another question...

Why are futaba's 10 & 12 channel radios more expensive? Is there another factor in the equation I am missing?

PeteDee

Mr take no prisoners!
They are older designs and were originally more expensive and the price has just not come down I think.

Anyway I will say it again, Futaba 14SG, best bang for buck out there and a great radio as well.

Pete

Air defaults to airplane model settings, but that is easily changed,. It also has a ratcheting throttle. You want Heli version for multi-rotors. But either one can be changed via a small spring inside/slider. Some models come with both springs, some come with a reversible spring, etc... I just ordered a 14SG and still love my 8FG that I use regularly. If you order one, ask the seller to include a Heli spring. 14SG might be overkill for you right now. the 8FG can be found for under $250 used and offers 14 channels, but does not have some bells and whistles like telemetry add-ons (expensive in my opinion).