Which transmitter and flight controller?

ChrisHigs

I'm starting to research parts I need to build my own quadcopter but am having trouble deciding which FC and radio to get.

I like the MultiWii FCs and for the price they have lots of features. I've seen MultiWii Pro and a Crius board loaded with GPS, Bluetooth all for £50-60. They seem to be recommended for people who have more experience than, well, none tho. I think my best option is to start with the KK2.1, learn to fly and go from there.

And radio. Turnigy 9X which is nice and cheap or the FrSky Taranis are the two I am torn between. I don't really want a radio that needs soldering parts to get the best from it (I don't mind soldering bigger wires but never tried small pieces on a PCB). The FrSky definitely seems the better of the two. Is it easy enough to program the OpenTx for basic use then I can learn more for later on. Or a completely different Tx, maybe the DX6i, priced somewhere between those two.

PeteDee

Mr take no prisoners!
Taranis or used Futaba T8FG Super, 9X is crappy crap just don't kid yourself that it will be good enough, it just wont.

KK2.1 with 1.6 firmware, buy the USBASP dongle at the same time.

450 quad from anywhere, spend as little as possible but get one with integrated power distro.

4S 3300mH, 25-30C,, buy a couple and an AC/DC charger.

2212-13 900kv, SunnySky or T-Motor anything but NTM's.

9x5 E-Prop or 9x47 APC.

Fly, crash, repair, fly, crash, repair and fly some more.

Have fun.

Pete

ChrisHigs

Thats great, thanks for that.

I would almost certainly have gone for the 9X from my initial reading but glad I did some research first. The Taranis it is I think. Over the initial budget but I think it will be worth it. The Futaba, even used, is too much.

I'm still tempted by MultiWii but I get confused looking at all the different boards and configurations and 8bit/32bit boards and I think lots need pins soldering on. For now I'll go with the KK2 and sort out the other stuff later.

4s or 3s batteries? Most I started reading said 3s. I was going to get a 3s 4000mah 25 or 30C.

TitanFlyer

I went for the Taranis as well, and its a bit overwhelming at first to be honest. Once you learn all the terms and how to do things its much better than anything else I have used like the Spektrum DX6i I now use as my simulator controller... there is a whole lot of information on the opentx forums and watch all of the videos from Scott Page ( http://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-A2sf9a_BDbKs81HuU7p4w ).

ChrisHigs

Excellent. The Taranis it is then. I can see myself getting hooked after my first build so I do think a decent radio will be a wise investment and I'm not afraid to learn stuff. Part of the fun too I think.

Now I'll have to find some stuff I can sell on eBay to fund my quad :D

TitanFlyer

Excellent. The Taranis it is then. I can see myself getting hooked after my first build so I do think a decent radio will be a wise investment and I'm not afraid to learn stuff. Part of the fun too I think.

Now I'll have to find some stuff I can sell on eBay to fund my quad :D

Yes, the funding it all is something that will be a bit of a surprise to my wife.. best to take the bandaid off quickly.. order the stuff you want up front as upgrades are much harder to get past the CFO...

ChrisHigs

Yes, the funding it all is something that will be a bit of a surprise to my wife.. best to take the bandaid off quickly.. order the stuff you want up front as upgrades are much harder to get past the CFO...

Haha. CFO :D I don't think I will be declaring all spending to her ;)

COMike93yj

Still Building!
Chris,

They are great videos! Bruce is a stand up guy and he has TONS of experience in the RC world. EVERYONE should take a look at his vids because they simply come from a guy that has NO bias when it comes to advertising etc IMO. On the budget issue.....that hits home a TON (wife always asks where the funding goes...LOL).....RESEARCH the best you can and ask for advice. There are a ton of us that are starting out and are trying to be as frugal as possible!

Cheers,

Mike :)

PeteDee

Mr take no prisoners!
Thats great, thanks for that.

I would almost certainly have gone for the 9X from my initial reading but glad I did some research first. The Taranis it is I think. Over the initial budget but I think it will be worth it. The Futaba, even used, is too much.

I'm still tempted by MultiWii but I get confused looking at all the different boards and configurations and 8bit/32bit boards and I think lots need pins soldering on. For now I'll go with the KK2 and sort out the other stuff later.

4s or 3s batteries? Most I started reading said 3s. I was going to get a 3s 4000mah 25 or 30C.

I bought a used T8FG for one of my sons cheaper than I could get a Taranis.

ChrisHigs

Thanks for all the help. This is a great forum with lots of helpful people :)

I've been pricing up some parts from HobbyKing, didn't realise they have a UK warehouse. That is going to make things a lot cheaper than I was expecting and possibly get this build off the ground quicker than I was expecting.

They don't have the KK2.1 board on there though, they do have the MultiWii Pro so depending how I feel I might order that or get the KK off eBay.

Also lots of motors are out of stock so might have to get them from somewhere else. I'll keep researching, come back if I have any more questions and when I get the money together I'll see what people think of my list.

Thanks again. Can't wait to get started with this.

COMike93yj

Still Building!
Thanks for all the help. This is a great forum with lots of helpful people :)

I've been pricing up some parts from HobbyKing, didn't realise they have a UK warehouse. That is going to make things a lot cheaper than I was expecting and possibly get this build off the ground quicker than I was expecting.

They don't have the KK2.1 board on there though, they do have the MultiWii Pro so depending how I feel I might order that or get the KK off eBay.

Also lots of motors are out of stock so might have to get them from somewhere else. I'll keep researching, come back if I have any more questions and when I get the money together I'll see what people think of my list.

Thanks again. Can't wait to get started with this.

Chris,

JUST REMEMBER that there are probably businesses locally to you that may be able to come close to the price that HK can do. I am NOT slamming HK as they have been good to me (replacements for defective items etc) but sometimes waiting for the "SLOW BOAT FROM CHINA" can be a PITA!!!!

I have had ESCs on order for a while (JUST under the Backorder status it seems and I have yet to see them...they are STILL on BO)...So I am purchasing them from some sites here in the USA and I will be happy!!!! They are simply the missing part of my equation to even BOOT up my KK2.1!!!!!!

Keep up the enthusiasm!!!! I am STILL enthusiastic about it all....I HATE to see Motopreserve and jbrumberg get their quads in the air while I have to sit idle and wait for things.......I want to BUILD my quad and get into the air but I know that sooner or later I will!!!!

KEEP us updated!!!! By the way when you do order your Flight Controller be certain you get a programmer for it. I did NOT do this and HK was on backorder when I realized I might need one.....I had to source it from EBAY and I am not certain it will work the way it should until I get it...hopefully on Monday!

Mike :)

PeteDee

Mr take no prisoners!
I bought a T8FG for US$160, already had Futaba Rxers but the FrSky Rxers are cheap and work a very well for $20-$40, I bought this one for one of my kids.

Pete

PeteDee

Mr take no prisoners!
I had a quick look on eBay, not much on there but a used T8FG was more than the Taranis new.

If you are in the US go to Helifreak.com and rcgroups.com and put up a wanted ad and also have a look at the for sale ads, I did it here at archeli.com.au in Australia and had three or four offers at good prices within two days.

Pete

ChrisHigs

Chris,

JUST REMEMBER that there are probably businesses locally to you that may be able to come close to the price that HK can do. I am NOT slamming HK as they have been good to me (replacements for defective items etc) but sometimes waiting for the "SLOW BOAT FROM CHINA" can be a PITA!!!!

Good point. I have read some good quick deliveries from their UK warehouse but it might be an idea to get somewhere local in case I need a replacement and they are out of stock or whatever. I'll have a look around.

jbrumberg

Just to remind everyone that the Chinese New Year is approaching. It is a national holiday. I believe it occurs the end of January and everything shuts down for about a week. Just a heads up on ordering anything anywhere from anyone in China in the coming weeks. Mike yeah my airtime was just spectacular :highly_amused:, but long enough to learn a lot. :black_eyed:. If I were to buy a new Tx now I would be really looking at the T8FG and the Taranis and one of the Devo's- I forget which one at the moment I am happy with my FS TH9X B. It works. It has great range. It should last me a long time (with care). It runs on a LiFe battery. It will be upgraded with a "smarty parts" board and "flashed" ultimately at some point which will expand its programmability, and I got it (2 actually) for half the price of T8Fg with Rx's. A decent poor man's alternative to some really good identified Tx's.

ChrisHigs

How accurate are the results from eCalc? I've tried all sorts of motors, most give me a flight time of 6-7 minutes, hover time around 14-16 minutes.

I've estimated the weight based on a X550 (like the look of that frame) with other bits on it. I did have one combination of motor and prop, I think it was a 750 or 800 with 11" props that gave me a 10 minute flight time, forgotten the hover time, but can't seem to find that motor again.

Probably get the Turnigy D2830-11 1000kv and 9x4.7 props.

And that's with a 5000mah battery.

A little more playing, found a Turnigy 2830 850 which gives 10 minutes but only 100g payload. The other motors can give another 500g.

Last edited by a moderator: