Which lens for a NEX 5N?

Kilby

I was just wondering what lens you NEX users have on your camera for AP? I'm thinking about the 16 mm pancake and then adding the UWA adapter for shots on the ground.

Anyone have any input on the topic?

-Terry

hjls3

Kilby I did a bit of research and ended up ordering a 16mm pancake two days ago, to fly with. Will post some pics in a couple days. For those extra wide ground shots, you might consider some stitching software as well like Hugin. I have been having lots of fun with it lately. Here is an Hugin example from yesterday. Real hazy out but after the hike to get here - i did not exactly care :) this was done with T3i with 18-55 lens. 29 pics into 1.
View attachment 5962

Attachments

• animasMTN.jpg
    animasMTN.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 260

Kilby

It looks like my local Best Buy has one in stock, so I might pick it up on my lunch break today. Without using a lens adaptor, I don't really see any other option.

Is this the lens that most folks are flying with these days? Seems to fit the bill in terms of weight and FOV.

-Terry

PaNt

I have the 550 with tokina 11-16 f2.8 and i am thinking of buying nex 5 with the 16mm in order to have 50fps in 1080 and offcourse a lighter setup..

The t2i with the tokina is 1150gr the nex will be less than 400gr :) :)

Also they say that nex 5 has better video than nex 7 is this right?

Last edited by a moderator:

Bison52

I just got the Sigma 19 mm in Sony E-mount. Most reviews say better optics than the Sony 16 mm and I like the focal length (29 mm vs 24 mm equiv). Not quite as light as the 16 mm but not as large or heavy as the 18 - 55 kit lens.

Not very expensive either.

does the nex5 have any kind odf image stabilization of video? i'm undecided weather to go for the nex5n or the RX100 as that has great in camera stabiliser but only shoots 50p i need 24 and 25p

Kilby

I already have the camera, just trying to grab a new lens for it. I ended up ordering the 16mm from Amazon. When I got the my local BB, they didn't have them in stock.

Kilby

This is the first time I've had a camera that does panoramic shots though. I've been having fun in the office during lunch today. It's easy when you have a chair that spins. :tennis:

View attachment 5964 View attachment 5965

Attachments

• DSC00681.jpg
    DSC00681.jpg
    155.1 KB · Views: 268
  • DSC00682.jpg
    DSC00682.jpg
    164.6 KB · Views: 283

ChrisViperM

Lunchtime....ohhhhh yeeeeaaaaahhhh....I guess you play the hole day already with your new toy. :nevreness:

Chris

Bison52

My brother wanted my recommendation for a digital camera and had it in his head that he needed a big Canon. I kept trying to convince him that the NEX 5N was everything he needed and more. Finally I stepped out in the front yard and showed him the in-camera panorama. He couldn't beat feet down to the local store to buy one fast enough.

Bison52

By the way, the Nex series stabilization is lens based and not all lenses have it. I don't think the 16 mm is stabilized. And the third party lenses won't be.