Which frame should I use 680 or 810

7lkf7

Hi , Just planning my third project, after build my two F550 with NAZA and WKM . I decided go for the bigger one.
one plan is Tarot 680 Iron Man with E800 power system
or Tarot 810 Sport with E800 too.
other stuff will be WKM, IOSD, DJI 5.8 G Video link. I am using Futaba 8TG. Gimble will be MC6500pro 2 Axis with Sony NEX5R.

With E800 over sized 13-inch pro's, I prefer 810 but when I looked frame's weight 810 is much more heavier tan 680. I know size is much bigger too, and I really want a frame that can suit for my further project as well( so bigger is better).
can't decided which one to go, thank you very much for your advices.

Fernando

Are you going to carry a heavy load? I myself am building a 680 and I'm fitting it with 13 inch props and 700 KV motors. That'll give me over 9 Kg of thrust (@ 100%) with an AUW of about 3,6 Kg. Lots of room to fly ;)

I was thinking myself about some 800 or even bigger but then discarded the idea to get an easier to transport (and to maneuver) multirotor. Coming from a 250 (for really high speed crashing ;) my line of thinking was that if I strayed above the 680 I'd definitively go to a 1000 and build something flexible to carry really a lot of stuff. But that's in the pipeline for next year, if at all. For now I'm happy with the 680 size, and as soon as the damn motors and ESCs arrive I will finish it...

Was this a lot of me rambling or did I help/orient you in any way?

Cheers

I have been told the 680 (hex not quad) will carry NEX sized cameras just fine but I have not tried it personally. I have a go pro on mine. That could be a deciding factor. If this will be your one and only craft and you don't expect to ever build another then consider the 810. If this is just a stepping stone to bigger and better MR then build the 680. I built a 680 and love it and still fly it all the time but I also built a 960 about a year later and that gives me a lot of flexibility as to what I can do with cameras.

Alwil

I strongly suggest the 810 which is a strong frame and a perfect latching system
for the arms. They are rock solid and do not have the plastic clips. I used the
E800 system and upgraded to the carbon fiber 15 in. props. All I can say is
it is a great system.

Fernando

I have been told the 680 (hex not quad) will carry NEX sized cameras just fine but I have not tried it personally. I have a go pro on mine. That could be a deciding factor. If this will be your one and only craft and you don't expect to ever build another then consider the 810. If this is just a stepping stone to bigger and better MR then build the 680. I built a 680 and love it and still fly it all the time but I also built a 960 about a year later and that gives me a lot of flexibility as to what I can do with cameras.

Thanks John.
Exactly my point. I spent (and still spend) some time with the 250 and thought about a 450/550, but decided the 680 would suit me more. This is my first from-the-ground-up build and I didn't want to go straight to a 960, 1000 or whatever, just in case I messed it up. But judging by the fun I'm having with the 680 build, there are going to be more. And, besides, I'm not ready to trust my Nikon DSLR to the 680 when it's finished. I want something bigger. So, yes, the 680 is the stepping stone to something larger, and to recover my lost electronics skills and gain some building experience.

But I'm very glad to read about lots of people doing the progression from 680 to 960. BTW, what FC do you have on the 680 and the 960? I'm curious about your choices...

Cheers,
Fernando

Fernando

I strongly suggest the 810 which is a strong frame and a perfect latching system
it is a great system.

Alwil, would you recommend the 810 over a 960? Just personal curiosity... Thanks.

Alwil

I have never had a 960 although I have read good reports. The 810 was a little smaller
and fit my needs. Right now I am using a GoPro but plan on a Sony Nex size camera. I
hung a basketball underneath to see about lifting the weight. It did fine.

Fernando

I have never had a 960 although I have read good reports. The 810 was a little smaller
and fit my needs. Right now I am using a GoPro but plan on a Sony Nex size camera. I
hung a basketball underneath to see about lifting the weight. It did fine.

The basketball idea was brilliant! LOL

I use a Naza M V-2 on both of my Tarot's. I have never had any problems with DJI. I know some people like to hate on them and there are other choices out there but DJI is pretty much plug and play. I built a mini 250 with a CC 3D on it and it worked well. If I were to consider another FC I would look at the pixhawk. It would be a bigger learning curve but it looks like its a good FC.

Fernando

I use a Naza M V-2 on both of my Tarot's. I have never had any problems with DJI. I know some people like to hate on them and there are other choices out there but DJI is pretty much plug and play. I built a mini 250 with a CC 3D on it and it worked well. If I were to consider another FC I would look at the pixhawk. It would be a bigger learning curve but it looks like its a good FC.

Thanks John. I considered the Naza myself, but somehow ended up buying the Pixhack (not "hawk" in my case). I did this at the official local DJI dealer. On his recommendation ;)

Being at the same pricepoint, I am quite happy with this FC. I love the ton of possibilities it offers through Mission Planner. But you are right, the learning curve is, indeed, steep. But where's the fun if everything works out at the first try ;)?

7lkf7

Are you going to carry a heavy load? I myself am building a 680 and I'm fitting it with 13 inch props and 700 KV motors. That'll give me over 9 Kg of thrust (@ 100%) with an AUW of about 3,6 Kg. Lots of room to fly ;)

I was thinking myself about some 800 or even bigger but then discarded the idea to get an easier to transport (and to maneuver) multirotor. Coming from a 250 (for really high speed crashing ;) my line of thinking was that if I strayed above the 680 I'd definitively go to a 1000 and build something flexible to carry really a lot of stuff. But that's in the pipeline for next year, if at all. For now I'm happy with the 680 size, and as soon as the damn motors and ESCs arrive I will finish it...

Was this a lot of me rambling or did I help/orient you in any way?

Cheers

Hi Fernando
Thanks for your advice, I not really sure how much weight it will be together, I think it will be around 2.5kg just for those electronic stuff. plus the 1kg frame and 1 kg 6S battery . its almost limited to E800? maybe? 800g*6 =4.8KG , I am not sure if I calculate in right way. I will using my f550 for goPro so I really need this new machine carry the NEX.
Thanks

7lkf7

Thank you John, I will use NEX just for picture. I have been told from some DJI Dealer that, E800 is bit small on T810. and there is no DJI power system suit for 810 this size of frame because E1200 is too big.. and I really like the 810 25mm tube as your said thanks

7lkf7

it is a great system.
Hi Alwil
Could you please advice me what kind of setup you have on your 810 ? how much weight all together?
Thank you

Fernando

From what you tell me, your cutting it pretty close. With 4.800g of total recommended takeoff weight, your estimation sums up to 4.500g. That's close mate! You do have some room for flying with the up to 12.600g thrust at maximum, but if you change the weight just a little, you'll getting dangerously close to the max. Have you considered an octo, to get more room? 8x800g = 6.4K. Doesn't that sound appealing? Or is it off the budget?

Alwil

Hi Alwil
Could you please advice me what kind of setup you have on your 810 ? how much weight all together?
Thank you

I am running the Naza v2 and the E800 motors. I used an extra bottom plate to hide all
the electronics and with the Arris retracts and two 6600 6s batteries weighs around 5000 gr.
With the two 6600's- 19 min flight and with a 10000 15 min. I think DJI under rated the
E800 system. I have not had any problems and flies fine. I mount the 2 batteries on top
and when I use the 10000, it mounts on the bottom.

View attachment 27841 View attachment 27843 View attachment 27845

Attachments

• HPIM0747.JPG
    HPIM0747.JPG
    263.9 KB · Views: 284
  • HPIM0749.JPG
    HPIM0749.JPG
    281.3 KB · Views: 275
  • HPIM0743.JPG
    HPIM0743.JPG
    151.4 KB · Views: 281
Last edited by a moderator:

Chalagi

Myself I would never buy another Tarot frame they are crap. I have bought an Arris frame and they did put a lot of time in the planning of it as well. It's much stronger than the Tarot and it also comes in combo packages. I ordered that Arris 680 combo package and bought some longer carbon tubes to make it an 810 and the hexacopter flies great with the Naza mV2.

7lkf7

From what you tell me, your cutting it pretty close. With 4.800g of total recommended takeoff weight, your estimation sums up to 4.500g. That's close mate! You do have some room for flying with the up to 12.600g thrust at maximum, but if you change the weight just a little, you'll getting dangerously close to the max. Have you considered an octo, to get more room? 8x800g = 6.4K. Doesn't that sound appealing? Or is it off the budget?
Octo will over too much for my budget. Thanks . any other brand of Motor and ESC you recommand rather than DJI? and more powerful than DJI E800?also price around the same as E800? Thanks

7lkf7

I am running the Naza v2 and the E800 motors. I used an extra bottom plate to hide all
the electronics and with the Arris retracts and two 6600 6s batteries weighs around 5000 gr.
With the two 6600's- 19 min flight and with a 10000 15 min. I think DJI under rated the
E800 system. I have not had any problems and flies fine. I mount the 2 batteries on top
and when I use the 10000, it mounts on the bottom.

View attachment 27841 View attachment 27843 View attachment 27845
your drone look cool, and just want to know you did with extra bottom plate, any change can provide more picture?
Thanks

Alwil

your drone look cool, and just want to know you did with extra bottom plate, any change can provide more picture?
Thanks

Since there is not much room between the top and bottom plates, I decided to add an additional bottom
plate. You can see the standoffs in the previous picture where the plate attaches. The camera gimbal and
rails attach to this plate and I did not feel comfortable with just the corner standoffs- hence the four in
the middle. If I have to service any electronics I just take off the 8 nylock nuts and drop the plate. I will
try to get you a better pic.