Which Fatshark?

adanac

Hello! I tried this question at FPVlabs and got flamed mercilessly (even by a mod!). I'll try here.

I have a TBS Discovery Pro with TBS 69 camera and Rookie TX. I'd like to get Fatshark RX and goggles but I'm not sure which to get. TBS recommend the Dominator (although I guess not the Dominator HD), which I'm inclined to get based just on that. However, with several other models (including the HD), I'm left wondering if there is a compelling reason to get another model. Thank you!

Maverick

Hello! I tried this question at FPVlabs and got flamed mercilessly (even by a mod!). I'll try here.

I have a TBS Discovery Pro with TBS 69 camera and Rookie TX. I'd like to get Fatshark RX and goggles but I'm not sure which to get. TBS recommend the Dominator (although I guess not the Dominator HD), which I'm inclined to get based just on that. However, with several other models (including the HD), I'm left wondering if there is a compelling reason to get another model. Thank you!

The SkyZone goggles are only out, and seem to be way ahead of the rest, and have got great reviews.

http://www.foxtechfpv.com/skyzone-fpv-gogglesmatte-black-p-1218.html

http://www.getfpv.com/skyzone-fpv-goggles-with-diversity.html

Maverick.

CdA D

I have the FatShark Attitude SD 5.8 ghz and I like them. They do have head tracking, you should check to see if your Tx is compatible with FatShark Head Tracking. hobbyking.com., they have them in stock at $360 US. You can check Tx compatibility on site if your going to use this feature. If you flight control is 2.4 ghz you should use the 5.8 ghz. so as to not have signal interference. Enjoy what ever you decide to purchase.

SMP

Have a set of older 9208s or whatever they were called - too lazy to look it up, and currently a pair of Dominators. Liked the larger perspective of the Aviators? but quickly got used to the better resolution of the Dominators. Hate how the bloody eyecups become unglued in the heat. Love the goggles. Do be aware though that the RX just simply doesnt seem to be sensitive enough to push beyond .5 - .7km on average on either the 2.4 or 5.8 freqs including the newer nexwave 5.8... Needed more range so recently gave up the integrated module and started using a regular size RX out to a monitor. The monitors (Foxtech 7's and 8's) have lower resolution which make it harder to fly technically (low, fast, tight etc). When I need to fly through a forest of cranes then plug in the goggles to the av out of the RX and back to happy.

In a nutshell. Cant speak to the other brands but have been overall very happy with the Fatsharks and the Dominators in particular with the range caveat.

Pro's - Super convenient - hop out and fly! - Great Resolution for tight flying.
Cons - Far less range on integrated RX. Wicked stupid eyecups...

Maverick

Have a set of older 9208s or whatever they were called - too lazy to look it up, and currently a pair of Dominators. Liked the larger perspective of the Aviators? but quickly got used to the better resolution of the Dominators. Hate how the bloody eyecups become unglued in the heat. Love the goggles. Do be aware though that the RX just simply doesnt seem to be sensitive enough to push beyond .5 - .7km on average on either the 2.4 or 5.8 freqs including the newer nexwave 5.8... Needed more range so recently gave up the integrated module and started using a regular size RX out to a monitor. The monitors (Foxtech 7's and 8's) have lower resolution which make it harder to fly technically (low, fast, tight etc). When I need to fly through a forest of cranes then plug in the goggles to the av out of the RX and back to happy.

In a nutshell. Cant speak to the other brands but have been overall very happy with the Fatsharks and the Dominators in particular with the range caveat.

Pro's - Super convenient - hop out and fly! - Great Resolution for tight flying.
Cons - Far less range on integrated RX. Wicked stupid eyecups...

I have gotten 1.9kms with FatShark's RCV922 AE with the integrated Rx, using standard CP antennas.

http://youtu.be/kOitKN9dTM4

I had to turn round at that point, cos my Futaba T7C radio was glitching!

Last edited by a moderator:

I own both the Attitude and Base goggles. They're basically the same with the exception of the Attitudes having a built in 5.8rx and head tracker. The viewing area is larger than with the Dominators but the Dominators have a better resolution though I'm betting its pretty hard to tell the difference unless they're side by side. I'll take the immersive experience of the larger viewing area anytime.

The HD versions you see listed have been long promised but aren't available.