Where's Papa

Jerbou71

i love the show and I have been listening sense the beginning but in the last couple of episodes you have had Peter and I really like Peter but what happened to Joe Papa. You guys didn't say anything about him. Come on. Papa!Papa! Papa!

RandyWales

Joe is The Professor....he qualifies everything he says with good solid information borne of experience.
Closely followed by Erick....the one with intimate knowledge of the industry...Erick is The Foil.
Both serious...both comical...both educational!!!
Randall

Luke

Great question! I've been listening from the beginning and agree that Joe is the man. His combination of professional experience and great sense of humor always made me tune in. Is he shooting a job overseas or something? Can't wait to hear about his latest projects.

Thomas

OMG!! This podcast has gone from mediocre to complete rubbish! In the past Joe and Eric used to waffle on a bit, argue and "drone" on about bogus stuff. Now it's completely lost the plot. The last two episodes and the new format of The Petr & Eric show is a complete waste of time. It's obvious that they have jumped the shark and have run out of topics, now instead of news and reviews, we are subjected to listening to a recording of a radio program, hosted by two people that have no experience in the drone field.
I for one will not be tuning into this podcast any longer.
Will be looking for the Joe Papa show instead, he at least seemed to have a sense of professionalism.

droneadmin

Administrator
Staff member
Thomas,

The last podcast was just a sample and not a replacement for Erick and Petr. Erick and Petr will continue to do the podcast while the guest segment you heard will be on its own show here on our "network". Think of it like the DroneVibes network and there will be many programs on it. You can pick and choose which podcast you want to listen to - or not. Each podcast will be clearly labeled as to the topic, hosts and program name.

Chuck and Tom are indeed self admitted novices and want to bring that perspective to a different audience that may not be as experienced as the experts. Additionally they will cover lots of topics in the news about drones in a fun and entertaining way. If they are not your particular flavor of brandy you can of course skip those programs.

Regarding Joe here is our official statement on this at the link below:

http://www.multirotorpodcast.com/podcast-format-changes/

Respectfully,

The DroneVibes Team

Petr Hejl

Staff Member
Hi @Thomas , thank you for your feedback, we asked for it and really appreciate any input that helps us understand what you guys think about the show and how to make it even better . As the drone tech became more affordable and easier to master over time, we are trying to evolve the Podcast and the site to help us reflect this evolution of our potential audience and make it a bit more interactive experience. Just like anything else, it does take some experimenting, which we're not afraid do to. I don't think that you can ever run out of things to talk about in this industry, and at least for my part I can promise to keep contributing content that is relevant, new, and can be enjoyed by anyone from complete beginners to more experienced drone enthusiasts and professionals alike. I hope you remain a listener and help us make this show better by sharing your honest feedback. Cheers!

Thomas

Petr,
I really appreciate your personal feedback. I for one, have absolutely looked forward to my weekly instalment of the podcast. I apologise for my what could be construed as rude comments posted previously. However, my only experience with this site has been via the podcast's up until now. (This great new website, looks great, and your openness to allow us to contribute is outstanding.) And up until now, I have found the podcast to be rather informative. I personally think that Joe was about the only reason I continued to listen. He had seemed to have the knowledge and expertise I was looking for. Eric, while fun to listen too, seemed a bit too blasé about the details. Joe was the show.

From a listeners point of view, I think the Tom and Chuck show, is a waste of time. They aren't experienced, they have nothing to offer, other than filling time. I for one, couldn't care less about their banter. To be honest, they are boring. While they may be enthusiastic, they have nothing to offer us folks who really just want to immerse ourselves and learn as much as we can. You have no idea how great your podcast could be, if only. Newbies aren't the answer, let me just say that.

I have promoted this podcast to many of my "drone" friends in the past, but feel that in it's current format, I would be embarrassed to do so.

I completely understand the evolution and trying new things. But what you had before was working, well from a listeners point of view it was. Yes Erik and Joe seemed to argue at times, but the info was great. Keep doing that I say, it was good. It got much better over time. I enjoyed the earlier episodes, where talk was about new stuff, like the Gaui MRT frames, the Sony Camera, etc... then it seemed to become the DJI Inspire forum.

In closing, I apologise for my candid remarks. I can see what you are trying to achieve and I wish you every success. If there is anything I can do to assist please let me know I'd be happy to do my part. Here in Australia we have little representation from experts, and after working within the Drone community for almost 3 years now, chiefly with DJI, GAUI, KDE, (Mostly from your recommendations) I feel that I could be of service somewhere along the way.

Cheers,

Thomas

Talon Six

I have to echo some of the sentiment that Thomas shared. Tom and Chuck - funny, but they don't do it for me either.

Like Thomas, I learned a ton from listening to the down-in-the-weeds descriptions of photography and the mechanics of multirotor design. Episode #34 was hands down one of the best episodes ever as it really got into the application of drones and how to get amazing shots. Likewise Erick's series on business considerations has helped me a lot as I prepare to get started in the business later this year. I was disappointed to hear that Joe left the series, and I was downright skeptical about the podcast's future after episodes #64 and #65.

That being said, I thought episode #66 was back on target. Great discussion on the "bandaids" being applied by manufacturers that have made flying easier. Nice work and keep it up with this type of content!

T6

Last edited:

nathan

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for the feedback guys-- The intention is not to replace one podcast with the other, just to offer a second option. In fact, Erick will not only be doing his typical podcast each week, he will be upping the production of the DroneVibes w/ Erick Royer podcast to 2 podcast's each week. So under the new DroneVibes Podcast, you will get 2x the content you love!

Gator

To add my 2 cents, I could really relate to Joe. I will certainly miss hearing him on the Podcast. Tom and Chuck are a waste of my time.

I have been a faithful listener since day 1. I will continue to listen. I enjoy Petrs take on things and Eric has his moments.

Good luck with all you are attempting to achieve.

Regards,

Mike (Gator) Ruel.

Todd Pals

Dang, I really miss Joe's insight as well. I'll keep listening and I understand adding more content that we can listen to as we choose. Keep up the good work.

I understand if you can't/don't want to offer any info, but do you know if Joe will have any content anywhere?

Bevin Lealand

Well no Joe Papa well that's a big fat fail guys your going backwards.
And Tom and Chuck show what a joke. Don't fix what's not broken.

droneadmin

Administrator
Staff member
Chuck and Tom show was cancelled. I posted this two or three posts above here.

Erick is still doing his show with Petr now who is amazing

Joe I believe is planning on doing his own show but we have no further information on it yet. When he gives me info on it I will post it here. Joe is not affiliated in any way with DroneVibes

As far as fixing what isn't broke the podcast was broken and Erick and Joe had no choice but to part ways.

Mike

Since the show was changed I have dropped out as an avid listener. Sorry to say but now it seems like Erick is the problem, he doesn't have any experience with any of the new drones out there and realizes on other people to do it for him. I haven't heard him say that he just got back from flying all weekend. I only hear about this stepcraft machine that he has a part of. Petr is great and gives some great insight on the new products. I personally won't be listening much longer and probably not coming back on this forum. I have a few other ones that I get most of my info from. Good luck fellas

John Locke

I have listened to very episode except one. I'm glad to hear Tom and Chuck was cancelled. The decision to play that garbage was third rate filler IMHO. When I heard there was going to be a second half in the next episode, I tuned out, the only episode I haven't listen to. BTW, I'd rather have a once a week 1hr show of quality content versus 2 shows a week of mediocre content. I think you may have bit off more than you have time to chew. The last show #72 was better, but it seems like you don't have much time to talk about more than one or two subjects. Also, I get annoyed with the spontaneous releases days of each show, no consistency. Why can't you commit to having the show released the same days every week?

There's so much to discuss in this industry, I can't believe you are lacking quality content. Although Joe was awesome, and I enjoyed Erick and Joe bantering in a civil way, I understand that sometimes guys need to part ways, it's just too bad it didn't work out. Peter is great, he brings knowledge of the DJI product that's unbiased, not to mention his in-depth photography background which I'm all ears for.

Shows evolve, I understand, but I feel like the others here that are concerned about the show quality going forward. I'm going to hang in there, but you guys need to fix the content and make sure it's worthy stuff. I too have promoted this podcast to many of my drone friends in the past, but I am now concerned.

Erick Royer

Since the show was changed I have dropped out as an avid listener. Sorry to say but now it seems like Erick is the problem, he doesn't have any experience with any of the new drones out there and realizes on other people to do it for him. I haven't heard him say that he just got back from flying all weekend. I only hear about this stepcraft machine that he has a part of. Petr is great and gives some great insight on the new products. I personally won't be listening much longer and probably not coming back on this forum. I have a few other ones that I get most of my info from. Good luck fellas

Mike, I am sorry that you feel that way. We all bring different things to the table in the podcast and the website. My personal background extends over 15 years professionally in the radio control industry and have flown just about anything that can fly for fun, work and competition. I started the Multirotor Pilot magazine (now called Drones) 2 years ago and that is how I met Joe. I was also the Executive Editor for Fly RC and RC Heli Pilot magazines for over 5 years. He and I flew many jobs together, as Petr and I. I was also the founder of Aerial Drone Worx, which I have since transferred ownership to Joe. I will never dispute Joe's technical knowledge, or his photography skills... he is very talented at both. We just simply had different visions.

My goal for this podcast (and the website) is to expand to reach all areas of drones, not just DJI products or the Inspire. We have been trying various things for content over the last 2 months and have taken all feedback into consideration and will continue to adjust the show to bring the content that everyone is asking for. I, for one, can not claim to know everything... but that is why I work with people like Petr and we bring in guests like Zak and Brian (and many more to come). My primary areas of expertise are related to content, business, marketing, beginner and intermediate topics, and building relationships to keep the podcast and community growing.

The podcast in the past was taking more of a higher end, professional direction, which, while good, only applied to 10% of the total listener base. Many of our listeners don't care about the Inspire (maybe because they cant afford it or do not have a need for it), many don't relate to flying "on set" at movie or TV production sets. So while we plan to have that kind of content, we are diversifying to appeal to everyone. This was one of the reasons for the two episodes per week plan.

Yes, in addition to DroneVibes, I also run Stepcraft USA. From time to time, I will do segments on CNC (in general) because for those listeners that like DIY stuff, it is a good fit. But I promise not to make it a regular "diet" as I don't want to take away from true content.

I hope you will consider to remain a listener, and I appreciate that you took the time to give some feedback. All comments, good or bad, are taken constructively and are used to continue the betterment of this podcast and website. Thank you...

Erick Royer

I have listened to very episode except one. I'm glad to hear Tom and Chuck was cancelled. The decision to play that garbage was third rate filler IMHO. When I heard there was going to be a second half in the next episode, I tuned out, the only episode I haven't listen to. BTW, I'd rather have a once a week 1hr show of quality content versus 2 shows a week of mediocre content. I think you may have bit off more than you have time to chew. The last show #72 was better, but it seems like you don't have much time to talk about more than one or two subjects. Also, I get annoyed with the spontaneous releases days of each show, no consistency. Why can't you commit to having the show released the same days every week?

There's so much to discuss in this industry, I can't believe you are lacking quality content. Although Joe was awesome, and I enjoyed Erick and Joe bantering in a civil way, I understand that sometimes guys need to part ways, it's just too bad it didn't work out. Peter is great, he brings knowledge of the DJI product that's unbiased, not to mention his in-depth photography background which I'm all ears for.

Shows evolve, I understand, but I feel like the others here that are concerned about the show quality going forward. I'm going to hang in there, but you guys need to fix the content and make sure it's worthy stuff. I too have promoted this podcast to many of my drone friends in the past, but I am now concerned.

Hi John, Thank you for your comments. With regard to the inconsistency of the show, I see your point and we are doing our best to release shows on Monday nights and Thursday nights. But in cases like this week, we had to work around scheduling interviews, so i am sorry about the timing. Promise we will work on keeping them to a schedule.

Our goal is not to have two shows that are mediocre. We went to the two show plan so we can cover different content to appeal to a wider audience. For instance maybe the Monday show is about drones and business but Thursday might be about beginners. Just like with a magazine, we want to have it so you can listen to the content that most appeals to you or skip some if it does not.

On that note... What type of content would you like to see more of from us? We do this show for you, our listeners and we do our best to respond and provide content to all requests. Your feedback and suggestions would be very much appreciated. Thank you again for taking the time to comment. I promise you that we will not let you down