Where's Papa

John Locke

Hi John, Thank you for your comments. With regard to the inconsistency of the show, I see your point and we are doing our best to release shows on Monday nights and Thursday nights. But in cases like this week, we had to work around scheduling interviews, so i am sorry about the timing. Promise we will work on keeping them to a schedule.

Our goal is not to have two shows that are mediocre. We went to the two show plan so we can cover different content to appeal to a wider audience. For instance maybe the Monday show is about drones and business but Thursday might be about beginners. Just like with a magazine, we want to have it so you can listen to the content that most appeals to you or skip some if it does not.

On that note... What type of content would you like to see more of from us? We do this show for you, our listeners and we do our best to respond and provide content to all requests. Your feedback and suggestions would be very much appreciated. Thank you again for taking the time to comment. I promise you that we will not let you down

I realize this show has so many subjects to cover, and catering to everyone is practically impossible. Me personally, here's what I'm hungry for:

1. Product reviews of photo/video gimbaled drone products, such as Phantom, Inspire, Solo, Blade, Q500, H, etc. The pro-sumer type products that are rapidly evolving is my sweetspot. Stick to the major manufacturers, UNLESS.... something revolutionary is released from others that is worth discussing. I like to hear NON BIASed reports that are not afraid to tell the bad stuff along with the good stuff. This is how the manufacturers learn from their mistakes. For instanced, although DJI's P4 is way ahead of the pack on technology, they have taken 3 steps backward on the distance capability of this latest Lightbridge implementation in P4. DJI needs to hear this from the masses. They keep reducing the transmission power of the Lightbridge from the craft to ground with each model release. This impairs the true value of Lightbridge in it's original implementation, often used for search and rescue, bridge/building inspections, crop surveys, mapping, etc where distance is key.
2. Race Drones. I've enjoyed your reviews in this area. Even though I'm not a race drone owner yet, I'm going to buy one this year, but still out to jury on what's going to be my first racer. The Graupner race drone you reviewed sounded nice, but later I learned the transmitter isn't as universally compatible with other craft like the Spektrum or Futaba transmitters. So I'm still out to jury.
3. Photography tricks and tips. I feel Peter is a great addition to the show, it's his area of expertise, along with his DJI knowledge. In the show links, please remember to put links to the software products mentioned for editing, etc. I watched his video, but all the steps get a bit lengthy and it wasn't clear what product did what step, such as jitter reduction, zoom motion effect, etc. Great stuff, but the details are helpful. You might as well get some affiliate markers attached to those links too.
4. Marketing is good too for most people. I like hearing you spread the information, echoing what my beliefs are since I'm an SEO/SEM guy myself. The stuff on web marketing was good stuff, so anything in that realm is helpful to people for many things other than just commercial drone entrepreneurs.
5. Monthly FAA update. What's going on the the new 107 certification plan, how will it work, how much will it cost, etc. I know this is unknown at this time, but I'm hoping you have connections to get the inside scoop on how that's all going to work for a commercial certification to do drone work, WITHOUT a pilot license. I'm also curious how many people you know doing commercial work with a 333 exemption but DO NOT have a pilot license. You don't have to name names, but I feel there are thousands out there building their business without a pilot license on the hope they won't get caught, and when the 107 process is in place, they'll go through that process to get legal at that time. But until then, they are working underground so to speak, getting their name and brand well known, since many customer are unaware of the current rules.
6. Phantom3 and 4 ND filters, from Peter. Please talk about this more. I think I know which filters to use most of the time, but isn't there a lightmeter that can tell me what to use, without having to install the filter, go up and test and hope it's the right one? That process wastes my battery. I realize should have an exposure that's twice the FPS, right? But that takes testing to figure it out. What about using a photographers light meter, would that work?
7. Flight areas are one of the tasks that consume lots of my time. Finding news flight spots that are away from people, preferably rural, pretty, and convenient to fly. I think this would be helpful to all, just how can you find good flight spots. Over time I've developed a process, but there are key things to know about Google maps to do this. Also, how to share your flight locations with friends, so they know the exact launch spot you had a good time, or simply plan a meet-up with others. Again, Google maps provides a great tool for that. It's also good for those that simply want to document each flight location and make some notes about the site. My Maps, within Google maps.
Erick, I know you're not a DJI fan, but many of us love the Phantom, and Inspire. There is plenty to talk about with DJI's go app, it's changing all the time. I know you have touched on some of these changes in the past, and I like that discussion, but not all has been covered. If you frequent phantompilots.com and inspirepilots.com you can get a good feel for what's happening, controversial, and what needs to be shared in your podcast. No, I'm not suggesting plagiarizing, only keeping a ear to the ground on the DJI market to keep your listeners informed.
9. I'm also interested in the OSMO type products which is kinda related to drone photography for those doing real-estate shoots, weddings or other ground based shoots where gimbal stabilization is important. Things are changing with that product also. Even though it's not directly related to drones, it's synergistic with the market, kinda like your Stepcraft product.
10 Editing. The last episode 72 was good, about the Premier versus FCP differences. 15mis versus 3min is huge. That little tidbit sways me alot, and I'm sure others. Those little jewels of information is what makes a podcast so valuable. That's the kind of stuff is awesome, epiphanies that I will remember.
11. Why can't GoPro deliver a camera like Yuneec and DJI that provides full 4K video without fisheye? Yuneec's FOV is 134 degrees, DJI's is 94 degrees, both without fisheye. I thought GoPro was the expert in this area of sports cams. I see others offering lens kits to remove the fisheye, but those kits can cost up to $200, and I have to do the work to swap out the lens. You rarely mention this problem with GoPro, you slide right by this issue that plagues Solo setups. I bet Karma will have the same problem. It's this kind of valuable information that's important to me, and I bet others too.

By the way, I'm sorry I was so tough on you guys, I didn't have my filter engaged yesterday. Keep at it guys, I'm looking forward to the growth of DroneVibes.

Erick, I got a great big smile on my face when you talked about your son hammering the entrepreneurial candidates as a judge, with tough questions. What a great story. I can only imagine how you felt hearing the hammer drop on those kids, delivered by your 14yr old. Classic!

Last edited:

Talon Six

+1 to everything John just said.

I'd also like to hear more on the Solo. It's been out for what, a year now? No reviews on MRP of DV yet. With 3DR now partnering with Sony and Chris Anderson hinting at deeper integration into the commercial inspection market, the Solo may be rapidly catching up to be a professional market leader for non-AP applications.

Also given the near universal use of the Taranis, maybe you guys should spend some time talking about it or getting someone to phone in and talk about it?

Last edited:

Petr Hejl

Staff Member
@John Locke @Talon Six , thank you for the "inspiration", I'll be happy to cover most of these on the Podcast, and find "experts" to interview about the subjects I'm not too familiar with. Please, keep the questions coming, this is exactly want we created the forum for. Cheers!

Hi Erick, Petr and indeed Joe,

I started listening to the podcast a few months ago. Prior to that, I had never really listened to any podcasts, despite owning an iPhone and iPad for the best part of seven years. Unfortunately, I only had down to (I think) episode #026 available, so that's where I started. I have listened right the way through, hoping to catch up eventually and I think I'm down to two episodes now. I've mostly refrained from getting involved in discussions here because I wanted to get to catch up first. Now I'm pretty much there so here I come!

"I was also the founder of Aerial Drone Worx, which I have since transferred ownership to Joe. I will never dispute Joe's technical knowledge, or his photography skills... he is very talented at both. We just simply had different visions."

Sorry, I read this, like I have so often in the past with bands I've been involved with as, "Joe wanted to change everything or Joe didn't want to change anything, so we got rid." I may well be wrong and I guess us listeners will never know. Despite this, I'd like to see Joe come back from time to time. Perhaps he could be a guest in the future, on the odd episode? And just to be completely fair, I think Petr is doing a great job too. He brings a bit more photography to the podcast than I'm interested in, because I'm a video guy, but I guess it's partly relevant to my own needs. So I hope Petr contributes as he always does, in the future (and it is of course good to see Europe represented in the podcast).

"The podcast in the past was taking more of a higher end, professional direction, which, while good, only applied to 10% of the total listener base."

I can see why this is a problem for the podcast, assuming the goal of the podcast is to get as many listeners as possible, which increases ad revenue opportunities and makes it more popular. There's nothing wrong with that. However, I think you've missed a trick and it's this:

1. People who are passionate about drones (hobbyists) are more likely to sit through the parts of the podcast they're not interested in and maybe listen with awe to the high end stuff, just out of interest. I know I myself read many articles about new video cameras I couldn't possibly afford.

2. People who are trying to build and run a business (like myself), simply don't have time to sift 80 percent of the content relating to drone racing, computer controlled milling, cutting and 3D printing etc.

So if you're going to shift the podcast content to a more general coverage of all things drone related and provide less content on business, video and the pro end of the market, then it stands to reason you'll lose the pro audience. Wouldn't you agree? I'm not here to tell you that you are right or wrong to change directions. There is a valid reason to do either. I'd also agree that it's perfectly acceptable to want to grow an audience and make more revenue out of your DroneVibes platform. Probably if it was me, I'd do the same. But then, I'm not the guy that set up a podcast giving out great professional advice and then switched content.

Don't let my criticisms put you off. I don't really mean them to be criticisms. They're not, because what you do is what you think is right for the podcast. I'm also not doing "that internet thing" where I huff and puff and tell you I'm leaving and I'm never going to listen again. On the contrary, I'll continue to listen. But if I do stop listening at some point, it'll likely be that I simply don't have the time to sift for the good bits I'm interested in. And just to confuse things even more, I did actually enjoy the features on Stepcraft because they're genuinely interesting.

"Many of our listeners don't care about the Inspire (maybe because they cant afford it or do not have a need for it), many don't relate to flying "on set" at movie or TV production sets. So while we plan to have that kind of content, we are diversifying to appeal to everyone. This was one of the reasons for the two episodes per week plan."

As I've already stated, I want pro content. I want to know what's coming to market. I'm amazed you've stuck with the legalities in the US system and I've yet to hear anything about the CAA / UK system - I'm sure you have listeners in the UK and from what you've told us about the US system, the FAA could probably learn a thing or two about drone legislation from the CAA. So look it up and maybe get a EuroUSC guest to talk about that? I'm sure they'd welcome a platform to tell the UK listeners how to truly stay safe. For the record, I already hold a BNUC qualification and the required Permission for Aerial Work from the CAA. So I know there is potentially a lot of content for you there to spread around the podcast.

"But in cases like this week, we had to work around scheduling interviews, so i am sorry about the timing. Promise we will work on keeping them to a schedule."

Makes sense. It's a podcast, designed to be consumed at ones leisure, not a radio show.

"What type of content would you like to see more of from us?"

I'm looking at upgrading to the Inspire at some point so I'd be mostly interested in the discussions about the new X5 camera and also potential replacement / competing platforms. I also posted elsewhere in the forum earlier today about something new I found that I'd quite like to hear a discussion about:

www.cvp.com

This new DJI M600 looks interesting....

"3. Photography tricks and tips. I feel Peter is a great addition to the show, it's his area of expertise, along with his DJI knowledge. In the show links, please remember to put links to the software products mentioned for editing, etc."

I agree very much with this post from another user. I also think if you want to improve somewhere easily, you should look at the show notes. I remember going to the show notes for a past episode (cannot remember which) and there was nothing of note in there except for a link to the DJI website. I don't think anyone needs to be reminded how to find that little gem. :)

"4. Marketing is good too for most people. I like hearing you spread the information, echoing what my beliefs are since I'm an SEO/SEM guy myself. The stuff on web marketing was good stuff,"

I agree here too. The hardest part of any business (and arguably the most important part) is marketing. If you can't get word out to your potential customers, then it doesn't matter how impressive your machines are or indeed how talented your fingers are.

"5. Monthly FAA update."

It's interesting hearing about what the FAA is up to because they are a well respected national aviation authority and the US has lead the way in so many things over the last hundred years or so. But just remember that the US isn't the centre of the universe as far as your audience is concerned.

"6. Phantom3 and 4 ND filters, from Peter."

Not so much ND filters specifically, but if a product is mentioned in the podcast, it would be very useful to see good links to buy such a product in the show notes. I know you mention things like SmartPassiveIncome.com but that's not hard to find. A link to a specific ND filter on Amazon on the other hand, might be very useful to listeners.

One final thing that I am dying to hear on the podcast (that doesn't seem to have been mentioned at all since I came across it) is the new Blackmagic Design camera. Specifically this one:

www.blackmagicdesign.com

I'm not convinced that this is the game changing product it could have been (no 4K when everyone is touting 4K?!?!) but if ever there was a camera designed to be talked about on DroneVibes, it would surely be this one? I'd love to hear some real world reviews about this camera. Perhaps BMD would be happy to at least lend you one for review? After all, they're shooting for your market! S-Bus is the giveaway....

Feel free to take my views and do what you wish with them. I wasn't intending to offend and I look forward to your podcast releases all the time. I've also stacked Patrick Flynn on my iPhone for the car as well, so from a none podcast listener that's now converted, you have competition, at least for the airwaves in my car. :)

Keep up the great work. I'll be sure to stop by regularly when time permits and if there's anything I can help with, just give me a shout.

Kind regards, A.
www.carillonvideo.co.uk
www.lynxvideo.co.uk
www.mama-genesis.co.uk

Last edited:

droneadmin

Administrator
Staff member
Feel free to take my views and do what you wish with them. I wasn't intending to offend and I look forward to your podcast releases all the time. I've also stacked Patrick Flynn on my iPhone for the car as well, so from a none podcast listener that's now converted, you have competition, at least for the airwaves in my car. :)

Keep up the great work. I'll be sure to stop by regularly when time permits and if there's anything I can help with, just give me a shout.

Kind regards, A.
www.carillonvideo.co.uk
www.lynxvideo.co.uk
www.mama-genesis.co.uk

Andrew,

Hi and thank you for the feedback and comments. They are taken in the positive spirit as intended and we do appreciate the time you took to give us this feedback. Erick and Petr I am sure will read your post and reply.

We may also take you up on your offer to help so thank you for putting that out there.

Best Regards,

Marc

Petr Hejl

Staff Member
@Andrew Prince thank you so much for taking time to write this feedback, it is really helpful, and very constructive.
I would love to have someone for an interview about the CAA rules and the drone rules and regulations in the UK, if you'd be up for it, please, send me a message here or FB. You are correct, we should not be too US-centric, however, I can only responsibly talk about what I know and do (this is why I reach out to my network for specific subjects like drone laws, racing, etc.)

As far as having to "sift through the content" is concerned, this is a very important point. We are still looking about the best format to deliver drone related content. While a few years ago one podcast could pretty much cover it all, there are many different parts of this industry now. It has become tricky to have an all-encompassing podcast (kinda like a magazine) while still bringing relevant content to our listeners. We are always trying to evolve, and as a part of these efforts, we are debating the idea of perhaps separating the content into more different "shows" within DV podcast and platform. These separate shows could be more focused on FPV racing, CNC, photography, legal, with the main podcast just touching on these and focusing on news. I would like to hear your opinion on this one.

I will keep reminding Erick to put links in show notes, feel free to reach out on here or send us a message on DV Facebook page (I monitor that one) if any specific links are missing.

Lastly, I never get offended by any feedback (have been trained that way in my previous career), it helps us do better or at least address any concerns our listeners may have.

Thank you again for taking your time to write all this, good luck in your drone endeavors, please, don't forget to let me know if you'd be willing to help us with a short interview.

Cheers!

@Andrew Prince thank you so much for taking time to write this feedback, it is really helpful, and very constructive.

No problem at all. It's a community. One has to give back to their community no? It just took me rather a long time to catch up because I didn't want to miss anything. :)

I would love to have someone for an interview about the CAA rules and the drone rules and regulations in the UK, if you'd be up for it, please, send me a message here or FB.

I wouldn't have a problem with doing an interview on Skype or something. I'll also gladly come to the US, if you're paying my airfare. :) But I would actually strongly suggest that I'm not the right person for such a subject. It would make a lot more sense to get someone from EuroUSC to do the interview or maybe the other training company that does CAA certified training.

As far as having to "sift through the content" is concerned, this is a very important point. We are still looking about the best format to deliver drone related content. While a few years ago one podcast could pretty much cover it all, there are many different parts of this industry now. It has become tricky to have an all-encompassing podcast (kinda like a magazine) while still bringing relevant content to our listeners.

Maybe you're now at the stage where it's becoming more and more clear that some topics are stronger on their own? I tend to agree that drone racing is developing rapidly and may well deserve a podcast of its own. It's of mild interest to me, because it's drones. But it's not something I'd seek out and listen to regularly.

We are always trying to evolve, and as a part of these efforts, we are debating the idea of perhaps separating the content into more different "shows" within DV podcast and platform. These separate shows could be more focused on FPV racing, CNC, photography, legal, with the main podcast just touching on these and focusing on news. I would like to hear your opinion on this one.

Ah I see you actually beat me to it. :) I don't know when the right time is to split the show into component podcasts covering each of the differing areas of the drone industry. I'll leave that one up to you. However, I do know a bit about marketing and I know that people will pretty much always pick the specialist over the generalist. It's complete BS to suggest that general use paracetamol is less effective than the same dose of "headache specific" paracetamol, yet the drug companies use such tactics in their marketing all the time, because they know that more people will buy the headache specific tablets, even though they're the same as the general purpose tablets - same dose, same drug. Bizarre, but true.

Thank you again for taking your time to write all this, good luck in your drone endeavors, please, don't forget to let me know if you'd be willing to help us with a short interview.

No problem. Glad to have helped and it makes a refreshing change to know that you're listening and you're here to chat to us about our drone interests. Good luck with the podcast. :)

Regards, A.

Luke

Been watching this thread hoping for a Papa update. Glad he didn't totally fall off the grid!

Found him all over the place – looks like he was just hibernating! Lol!

His Instagram account (@dronelifepodcast) shows that he was even a speaker at NAB last week... And he posted pics of the new DJI M600 and A3 Pro up close and personal! So freakin rad! There's video up on a new YouTube channel, too... Dude interviewed THE Colin Guinn from 3DR. So jealous.

Here are the links I came across:
Podcast: https://bit.ly/dronelifepodcast
YouTube:
Twitter: @dronelife_io
Instagram: @dronelifepodcast
Facebook: found under "dronelife.io"

WinTech

Luke,

I am glad you found Joe Papa and posted where to find "Waldo". In addition to the Facebook page you mentioned, I found him on Facebook at "The Original Multirotor Podcast by Joe Papa".

Joe is back, and better than before. The content Joe provided for the Multirotor Podcast was invaluable for both the hobbyist and professional. Now, this new venue at Dronelife, looks to present unbiased professional content (no product sponsors to influence the verbiage or content) for both the podcast and website. The podcast Co-Host, John Kopec, adds to the knowledge and professionalism, with a lighthearted entertaining character. John's character is a great addition to this new podcast. The first four episodes are great out of the gate...I can't wait for more. Thanks Joe!

NTTD

1. Product reviews of photo/video gimbaled drone products, such as Phantom, Inspire, Solo, Blade, Q500, H, etc. The pro-sumer type products that are rapidly evolving is my sweetspot.
+1 on this
I'd also like to hear about the "entry level" drones in this class; Cheerson CX-20/HK Quanum Nova (and pro), XK X380, others?
Don't want this to become "The DJI show".

2. Race Drones.
Oh yeah.

3. Photography tricks and tips. I feel Peter is a great addition to the show, it's his area of expertise...
6. Phantom3 and 4 ND filters, from [Petr].
10 Editing.
+1000 on this, love Petr's input.
Just more photography and videography hardware info in general (could be applicable to any drone brand), many people don't know about ND filters, or any filters for that matter.
Would like to hear more about using Adobe products for both pics and video, I'm PC based.

5. Monthly FAA update.
Yes! You guys seem to have your finger on the pulse of FAA developments, keep it coming.

8. Erick, I know you're not a DJI fan, but many of us love the Phantom, and Inspire.
Who doesn't like DJI, it's just that they're not the only horse in the race.
I love Peter's quote about "Remember Motorola", just because DJI is the first really big company on top doesn't mean they'll stay that way. Think Yahoo, Blackberry etc.

One final thing that I am dying to hear on the podcast (that doesn't seem to have been mentioned at all since I came across it) is the new Blackmagic Design camera. Specifically this one:
www.blackmagicdesign.com

I am interested in this one as well, could potentially be a great option with the right lenses.

I love the podcast and appreciate the growing pains.

As this grows you guys will likely be able to have multiple streams of content (podcasts, articles) that satisfy the diverse desires of your community. You could have content for the pros and aspiring pros, stuff for the racers, content for beginners etc.

I'm happy I found you guys and look forward to the future!

-Mike

Petr Hejl

Staff Member
@NTTD , thank you for your feedback, it's really appreciated. You are correct, we are trying to include different shows and content within our network, beginning with FPV racing oriented segments (look for announcement in next Drone Vibes Podcast), and hopefully expanding to the drone law next. Cheers!

NTTD

Here's my take on the recent change:

I am glad for the change, this benefits me directly. One podcast with two hosts has become two podcasts hosted by 4 people, awesome! More information, more points of view, what's not to like? I'd much rather have host's bringing exactly what content they want rather than being shackled to a particular podcast and having to compromise themselves. They need to keep the passion going, being able to bring their own particular spin will help to keep that happen.
Joe still does a podcast on his channel, with his particular focus on drones. Erick and Petr do their podcast on this channel with their own focus on drones. With the addition of Quad Talk that's now three podcasts with 6 host's points of view. The best part is that I didn't have to blindly search for this content, it all presented itself starting from this one initial podcast.
This is all good for the industry, more content, more information. It's quite simple, listen to the content that interests you, don't listen to that which does not interest you.
Personally I listen to all of them, I cannot get enough on all the different facets of drones. More please!

Thanks to all; Erick, Joe, Petr, VonQuad and KaNoodle for sharing your knowledge and passion for mutirotors.

droneadmin

Administrator
Staff member
Here's my take on the recent change:

I am glad for the change, this benefits me directly. One podcast with two hosts has become two podcasts hosted by 4 people, awesome! More information, more points of view, what's not to like? I'd much rather have host's bringing exactly what content they want rather than being shackled to a particular podcast and having to compromise themselves. They need to keep the passion going, being able to bring their own particular spin will help to keep that happen.
Joe still does a podcast on his channel, with his particular focus on drones. Erick and Petr do their podcast on this channel with their own focus on drones. With the addition of Quad Talk that's now three podcasts with 6 host's points of view. The best part is that I didn't have to blindly search for this content, it all presented itself starting from this one initial podcast.
This is all good for the industry, more content, more information. It's quite simple, listen to the content that interests you, don't listen to that which does not interest you.
Personally I listen to all of them, I cannot get enough on all the different facets of drones. More please!

Thanks to all; Erick, Joe, Petr, VonQuad and KaNoodle for sharing your knowledge and passion for mutirotors.

Well said and those are my sentiments as well. There are plenty of topics for everyone to talk about and add their own personality to. There are more options for listeners to choose from. People can enjoy one, two, three or dozens of podcasts that they find interesting or useful.

We are also one of many online communities striving to provide relevant information and help on drones for professionals, consumers and even for those just curious about drones. Many of us on the team here have decades of experience in radio control and much of that translates to drones. Others on the team have direct experience with both pro and consumer level drones along with advanced photography and videography. It is our hope that we can share information and quickly assist those in need of information or help.

We have some big news coming to the site here which we will be sharing very soon. We have acquired another drone community and will be combining the sites here on DroneVibes. If you wake up and see an enormous jump in post counts on the site and activity you will know why! We will provide more info after the migration is completed.