Where'd all the regulars go? Old Man?

violetwolf

Wow. I wonder if I'm the only one who gets scared when he sees this stuff. Lol

The thought of "automated everything" scares the hell outta me! That Tesla car on autopilot decapitating it's driver by failing to notice a semi trailer across the road pops to mind...

Military drones taking out civilians accidentally...

"Hey let's expand this technology to EVERTHING" ... Makes sense to me 0_0

What could possibly go wrong!

Last edited:

Old Man

If a system is not armed, which is what I believe should be the way, and maintain human oversight at all times, >12 years of practical history indicates not all that much goes wrong. Remove human errors in maintenance and extensive vetting of software and "not all that much" becomes much, much less. The odds of getting in a car accident on the way to the grocery store are higher.

In the Tesla event the driver removed himself from active observation, electing to play video games. Similar has occurred during autonomous flight where the person tasked with oversight elected to turn off audible alarms and read a book. An aircraft that could have been easily guided to a safe landing was allowed to descend unobserved to an altitude where little time was left to arrange a good landing. A fault occurred in the system for sure, but that fault could have been offset to take advantage high glide ratios to permit a better outcome. That could lead into a discussion of why multirotors are lousy for BLOS ops but such can be saved for another day.

The better autonomous systems are amazingly good. It usually requires a person at some stage to make them go bad. Training is a key element to success.

Last edited:

MadMonkey

Bane of G10
I'd like to see DV become a more professional-centric place as well. Would be nice to bounce around ideas.

I haven't done any pay work for a while, but with licensing coming up soon I'll be back to it hopefully. We're shifting gears a little and selling our Skyjib, so there's work to do (hey, anybody want it? :D).

Similar has occurred during autonomous flight where the person tasked with oversight elected to turn off audible alarms and read a book.

I may or may not have read/played games while flying UAVs overseas, but turning off alarms is beyond stupid...

Old Man

Yours was also a more labor intensive unit, which has a good side. Ours can lull people into complacency. I absolutely agree with you.