Where to begin with the end goal of high-performance FPV?

Hey Everyone,

I wanted to put down a couple questions prior to heading out to do some flying with the 180QX (plus I've got batteries on the chargers, 4 batts and 2 chargers isn't fast enough for my liking). I've been doing a lot of reading (specifically the F450 group build thread, and lots in the FPV forum) as well as watching a bunch of youtube videos. I feel like I've got a fairly good handle on the basics... What FCs are available, different FPV systems, VTx's, Rx's, antennas, goggles, etc. But I'd like to pick your brains on a few more subjective matters... mainly your collective experience.

I've determined that my end-goal is aggressive FPV... it's very appealing to me. The Hardware that a lot of guys seem to be using are based around the Lumenier QAV frames and CC3D FCs.

So I suppose my general question, for those of you that do this type of flying, based on your learning experience what direction should I go with my first build? There are a few sub-questions:

1. Is it better to focus on learning to fly by site before attempting FPV, or is it reasonable to go FPV right out of the gate?
  2. Would it be better to go with a more tame build the first time around, say, a DJI F450 with a Naza-M V2 with GPS, or could one learn reasonably well with something like a QAV400 + CC3D? What would be some of the benefits and drawbacks of either direction?
Thanks in advance for sharing your experience, this forum is very helpful!

Cheers,
Steve

P.S. Someday...

Last edited by a moderator:

genesc

Good question SG. I would like to see some feedback posts on your questions. Personally I am very new at quads and still in the crawling stage. I have lots of questions about FPV as well. I want to eventually fly FPV and have already bought the basic Goggle set up which are the Atitude Goggles with transmitter ect. But it will be a while before I open that box. What I have learned so far is there are two basic ways to go. Goggles and or a monitor. I want to go the Goggles route.

I see from the video you put up that the guy flying that quad is a very advanced flyer. For me it will be a while before I will ever put my Goggles on and fly...:) Let alone ever fly that good.

Looking forward to the replies you get from the pros on the forum.
Gene

Avenger

I've just started flying my F550 and up to now I've flown by sight alone. The reason for this is to get so used to the controls and switches on my Spektrum DX 7s that I never need to look down at it and Manouvers are done instinctively. It's motor skill Aquisition and the only way to reach expert levels is repetition, repetition, repetition.

As as soon as I feel comfortable and competent Ill start wearing the fat Shark visor and flying FPV.

That's my plan and I'm almost there with the familiarity.

I've just started flying my F550 and up to now I've flown by sight alone. The reason for this is to get so used to the controls and switches on my Spektrum DX 7s that I never need to look down at it and Manouvers are done instinctively. It's motor skill Aquisition and the only way to reach expert levels is repetition, repetition, repetition.

As as soon as I feel comfortable and competent Ill start wearing the fat Shark visor and flying FPV.

That's my plan and I'm almost there with the familiarity.

Thanks for the input! I've been flying fixed-pitch, single-rotor Helis for about a year by LOS. One interesting difference, It's much easier to determine the orientation of a heli than it is a quad. In any case, I'm fairly comfortable with orientation and such. I'm very familiar with the stability-mode and throttle-cut switches on my DX6i (ha!), although I'll might upgrade Transmitters with the Quad build. I do like the Spektrum gear, so I'll probably stick with them.

Last edited by a moderator: