What to get...

Idahno

I've recently been looking into the world of multicopters, especially towards video production. I've been doing a lot of research, looking into possibilities and alternatives and honestly I'm a little overwhelmed. I'm hoping you guys could shine a little light on what I need/want.

First, some background. I've always loved Rc things, electronics, etc. I've flown a few small Rc helis to a decent degree of mastery so I'm not a total newb in that aspect and I also have some background in electronics and programming.

I'm looking for my first aerial video platform to do commercial video production, but due to money and convenience I understand I need to start small. My aim is to gradually grow and begin flying heavier cameras and offering better quality video. Right now I'm considering either a Dji Phantom or a F450 with Zenmuse gimbal and video downlink, using a GoPro Hero3 Black. I'm a little inclined towards the Phantom because it's "all there" and might help to save me time and headaches at first, but I might be able to put better components on the F450 for the same price. Basically I'm looking to produce the highest quality footage here as to jump as soon as money allows to more professional equipment. Are there other options that might serve me better?

I would be grateful with any insight!

PeteDee

Mr take no prisoners!
Forget about the commercial side of things, just learn how to build and fly first, start with a cheap 450 quad and get flying.

At some time in the future I promise you will have a revelation and know exactly what you want to do.

Cheers

Pete

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
I agree with Pete. If you have hopes of moving to a more complicated (and expensive!) system later, best to start learning now. Building your own MR will begin to develop your knowledge base which will give you better understanding of the process, various components, and the relationships between all the moving parts.

I truly believe more sophisticated MRs benefit from beginning with a ground up build. Helps you see what you like and don't like, what works and doesn't before spending the big bucks.

Just my 2c

Idahno

Thanks for your answers! Building my own sounds good...
I think I'll go along the ride with the f450 group build that's here in the beginners forum! I'm still in the research phase and can't think of any other question that's not out there in the forums, but if anybody still has some extra advice, something I should check out or whatever, it'd be greatly appreciated!

Dan