What should I build next DJI 550 or Tarot 680 or something else

multiman

Hello everyone
I have been flying an old Gaui 330X all summer and want to build some thing bigger more visable and longer flight times
I dont plan of any heavy lifting just GoPro and FPV gear once in a while.
My Idea was just bigger for visual reasons when flying line of sight.
Here are a few ideas I had:

DJI 550 with E300 system $269
Tarot Pro 680 with E600 $700
Or feel free to recommend different motors etc for the above.

That being said I have also read the a larger Quads have the adantage of longer flight times so maybe thats the way to go?

I have 6 pairs (2 of each matching) of 3S batteries from 2200 up to 5800 most are still new.
That being said would running the batteries in series for the Tarot 680 Pro with E600 be the way to go or stick with the smaller DJI 550 with E300and run 3S.
I dont really want to buy a bunch of new batteries as I had mention all but 4 of the above 3S lipos are still new.

The more comments /Ideas/suggestions the better.
Thank You.

Last edited by a moderator:

PeteDee

Mr take no prisoners!
Well depending on how much cash you have the TBS Discovery is a great choice for doing what you say, on 6S with an arm extension kit, a 3S setup will always lack performance.

Personally I would not recommend the bigger ones, a 450 size quad will do what you want on 3S, because you only have 3S packs and do not want to buy more batteries you are quite limited.

Hi multiman, Tbs discovery although very good for fpv it is very limited for room / space very little room for battries etc.
Depending on what flight times and AUW you plan to have will determine whats needed.

The DJI F550 is great as long as you do not load it up with landing gear, gimbal & camera, fpv gear etc. you very quickly get to the point where weight will limit performance and flight time (mine ended up with 8 minutes max flight time and hover at 70% throttle using 4S 6amp).

You can spend a lot of money upgrading the F550 with longer arms, bigger motors and props etc. you may as well buy something better in the first place.

Because of budget constraints I decided to buy a Tarot 680 Pro ($125 for base) with extended arms to take it to 800mm so I could fit 15" props. Transferred everything from my F550 Naza2 iOSD gimbal GoPro fpv etc. The Tarot AUW with 2 x 5.8amp 6S battries is 4.7kg draws about 30 amps on hover.

Not in the least suggesting you do the same there are far better craft in the market place, depends on your budget, but do not bother to waste your money on a standard basic F550 you will find its not satisfactory for weights approaching 3kg or more with the standard kit.

Regards - bruce

P.S. 3S waste of time on heavier craft, connect yours in series to get 6S

Last edited by a moderator: