What lens for Black Magic Production 4k?

Pumpkinguy

What's your go-to lens for aerials? Maybe you have a couple preferred lenses. Please share any experience with this camera as well if you like. Thanks.

RobertoMFS

Interesting question, Im at The end of building a gimbal for BM 4k.
I don't have the lens yet, but I think that can be a 25mm and 35mm.
I like the zeiss compact prime, but are totally manual, so you need a follow focus.
If you use a canon, you can set the focus via i-link interface, and make one time auto too.
The same on the iris.
I think that I test it with an old and cheap zoom lens from a friend 28-70mm, and decide which it's the best.
Regards.
Rob.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Pumpkinguy

Maybe this question it's interesting only for you and me...
Regards

I think this site has a higher ratio of experienced, professional guys to noobies then other sites. The guys here tend to be older and more mature but I think they tend to lurk more and post less. Just the vibes I get, I could be way off.

eskil23

Wikipedia Photographer
Interesting question, Im at The end of building a gimbal for BM 4k.
I don't have the lens yet, but I think that can be a 25mm and 35mm.
I like the zeiss compact prime, but are totally manual, so you need a follow focus.
If you use a canon, you can set the focus via i-link interface, and make one time auto too.
The same on the iris.
I think that I test it with an old and cheap zoom lens from a friend 28-70mm, and decide which it's the best.
Regards.
Rob.

For aerial work autofocus (or follow focus) is not strictly necessary for wide angles because nothing is going to be really close. You can use a manual lens, stop it down to the hyperfocal distance you need, set the focus to that distance and go. Wide angle lenses have pretty good DoF already wide open.

Regarding the zoom lens, how are you going to zoom it? If you are going to set up some kind of remote controlled motor zoom, you can just as easily use it for femote focusing.

RobertoMFS

About the follow focus maybe you are right, but with the crop factor of the camera the wide lens aren't to wide, so an 35mm looks like an 60mm.

About the zoom it's only to test at 28,35,etc and decide what lens buy, not for zooming in the air.

Regards
Rob.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

SleepyC

www.AirHeadMedia.com
I have a BMCC 2.5 and a 4K, using them for aerials is not the best. I'd grab a GH4 instead. The BMCC require so much post and the weight is obscene for aerials. Now don't get me wrong, I LOVE the BMCC for shooting cinema type shots on the ground, but did not dig the look from the air. Especially if you are doing anything but flying straight at something. Panning = awful.

The GH4 can have great OOTC color for clients who don't want to do a lot of color grading.

If you are hung ho for flying the BBCC 4K a great lens (if you went with the EF mount) is the Rokinon/Samyang Cine Lens 14mm Ultra Wide-Angle f/3.1 for Canon EF Mount.

For under $500 the lens is very sharp.

Also, what I am finding is if a client REALLY wants to shoot 4K they are going to want to fly a RED. I have offered the BMCC 4K several times only to be told "NO - RED PLEASE".

So if you are looking for the BM look, why not fly the BMPCC? I fly one on a Zenmuse and it's beautiful.

Just some observations.. :D

ovdt

BMCC4K produces very good results under controlled situations. Especiallay f you are on a set where the A camera is Alexa, BMCC 4K will be the choice for DP when they need to match the colors. Even 10-bit 4:2:2 prores is very very good for color grading. For more, it offers RAW which is much better for grading.

I use Zeiss Distagon series, 18mm-21mm-25mm. And also I use Canon 24mm EF f.28 lens, which produces good results. Zeiss is expensive but you can go with Rokinon route. I use their m4/3 lenses and very happy with results.

SleepyC

www.AirHeadMedia.com
BMCC4K produces very good results under controlled situations. Especiallay f you are on a set where the A camera is Alexa, BMCC 4K will be the choice for DP when they need to match the colors. Even 10-bit 4:2:2 prores is very very good for color grading. For more, it offers RAW which is much better for grading.

I use Zeiss Distagon series, 18mm-21mm-25mm. And also I use Canon 24mm EF f.28 lens, which produces good results. Zeiss is expensive but you can go with Rokinon route. I use their m4/3 lenses and very happy with results.

I agree, but I have never had success with any DP or director letting me use the BMCC.

Pumpkinguy

I'm revisiting this thread because it's time to buy a camera. I am listening to you guys and taking the information under advisement. I need a camera real soon. Choices.

SleepyC

www.AirHeadMedia.com
@Pumpkinguy

Here is what I Suggest...

Get a GH4. For 90% of jobs the footage from a GH4 will more than suffice. Real Estate, local commercials, local anything. And if you get lucky and start working with larger production companies (ie. Movies, TV commercials, or productions) they very well may have very specific equipment requirements (cam and lens). SO more important than a camera is a gimbal that can accept different cameras and lens. And a gimbal that can take a cam up to 10lbs would be ideal. Also easy to tune.

Personally I'd get a GH4, and find a good camera rental house close by, get your liability insurance set up and rent rent rent. (Also note 99% of all liability insurance will not cover cameras flying, so make sure you know a guy with a HIGH box truck, so if you have a problem... "Hey Oooo it fell off the truck! ;) FAGETABOUTIT )

Pumpkinguy

Ya. The gimbal is weighing on me. If I get the H6 I limit myself. If I get the H14 it will cut into flight time and I will likely have to add ballast with a really light camera. Difference in price is $1000 which means nothing to me

I'd have a hard time with the truck story. Lol. I make a point of being honest.

SleepyC

www.AirHeadMedia.com
Honestly I'd go with the 14. I am limited by my M5. I am really considering an M10 or an H14... when the "can you fly a RED with a Cine lens" comes up.. with the M10 or H14 the answer would be YES... YES I CAN...

Pumpkinguy

Honestly I'd go with the 14. I am limited by my M5. I am really considering an M10 or an H14... when the "can you fly a RED with a Cine lens" comes up.. with the M10 or H14 the answer would be YES... YES I CAN...

The m10 is long since been discontinued. The 14 is only $3000 for the Eco fly. I will also need the Gremsy landing gear and I will probably buy their vibration mount unless I can find something better that mounts on my 12mm rails.