What kind/brand are you using?

SDB777

I know someone here has a 'this-is-the-only-type-of-double-stick' I'll ever even think about using!!

Curiosity is making me wonder. Which is the super sticky stuff you can't live without?

Received some with the quad, but I'm in very short supply of the stuff. It is wicked sticky and holds...WOWSER! Problem, I have looked in the local 'big box stores that like selling everything hardware'....but I haven't found anything even close to it. The remaining part of the roll has 'clear tape', 'red removable film', and it's on a 'white cardboard roll'. Anyone know the brand?

Scott (what's your brand) B

gtranquilla

RadioActive
I buy large rolls of this material at a local Industrial fastener store called Calgary Fasteners and Tools. It is a 12 inch diameter roll and the gray double sided sticky tape with a layer or red vinyl separator to prevent it all from sticking together. Is is about 1/2 inch wide and it is cheap. The last roll I bought several years ago and I still have most of it left.

I try to use it sparingly onf MR FCs so that there is a chance I can remove the FC without damage to the housing or getting blisters from all the hard work...... Must also use a razor knife to try to cut thru it then use a small screw driver to pry off the housing....... hard work!!!

I know someone here has a 'this-is-the-only-type-of-double-stick' I'll ever even think about using!!

Curiosity is making me wonder. Which is the super sticky stuff you can't live without?

Received some with the quad, but I'm in very short supply of the stuff. It is wicked sticky and holds...WOWSER! Problem, I have looked in the local 'big box stores that like selling everything hardware'....but I haven't found anything even close to it. The remaining part of the roll has 'clear tape', 'red removable film', and it's on a 'white cardboard roll'. Anyone know the brand?

Scott (what's your brand) B

R_Lefebvre

Arducopter Developer
You're probably referring to a 3M brand VHB tape. I use it for everything. It will often break things trying to remove it. I actually use it in some structural applications.

One easy source is a professional Auto-Body supply place. They sell it as trim tape. Just be sure to get genuine 3M branded stuff, there are plenty of clones, and they probably suck. I bought an alternative brand, and I end up only using it when I specifically want something to come off easy.

Ronan

The 3M tale category number is 4011, outdoor heavy duty double sided tape.

http://products3.3m.com/catalog/au/...office_3_0/command_AbcPageHandler/output_html

That is NOT VHB! Do not use this with FC or IMU! Warning to anyone thinking it's the same as what is recommended by DJI! Also this one will come loose when the sun heats it up, i'v actually had my AVL58 fall off because of it, even though it's VERY hard to take off normally!

Also if using that, give it 24h to cure, unlike VHB which is around 10-12 hours.

PeteDee

Mr take no prisoners!
Everyone in the entire MR world uses and swears by this stuff except you apparently, in three years on using it I have never had any fail even in very hot conditions.

Ronan

Everyone in the entire MR world uses and swears by this stuff except you apparently, in three years on using it I have never had any fail even in very hot conditions.

Not that stuff. A huge conversation about it on the other forum a few days ago where i mentioned that stuff and got eaten alive for using it.

Switched everything to the proper VHB tape.

Hexacrafter

Manufacturer
We..... and nearly all our clients use:
http://www.amazon.com/Scotch-414-DC-Extreme-Mounting/dp/B009NP1JQC
This stuff is foolproof... 4 years and 100's of aircraft... never a failure.
Beware.... their are other 3M mounting tapes that look similar, but are not the same...i.e. the 5# version... not so good.
Clean both surfaces with rubbing alcohol to remove any oils....
You have to be very careful and use an exacto knife to cut & pry off...... otherwise this stuff is not letting loose.

SDB777

Thank you!

Links are always awesome. Especially for us new guys!!!

Scott (wonder if it'll hold my dog to the wall) B

SJBrit

We..... and nearly all our clients use:
http://www.amazon.com/Scotch-414-DC-Extreme-Mounting/dp/B009NP1JQC
This stuff is foolproof... 4 years and 100's of aircraft... never a failure.
Beware.... their are other 3M mounting tapes that look similar, but are not the same...i.e. the 5# version... not so good.
Clean both surfaces with rubbing alcohol to remove any oils....
You have to be very careful and use an exacto knife to cut & pry off...... otherwise this stuff is not letting loose.

That's what I use - it's VERY tough and cushions nicely. And +1 on the exacto - you can rip a plastic housing apart if you just to pry a component loose.