Mikrokopter What is my next step??

MikroJ

Hello I have a JR X 9503 arriving shortly (1-2 days) and would like any recommendations on what is the next step...

Where I'm at = Droidworx adx 3 - navi, compass, gps, diversity board installed.

- It has been flown before with a different controller (11ch JR) and on the other side of the world...!!

I have had it hooked up to MK tools and all green except for FC (missing signal - so I'm assuming its because of the missing Tx / Rx)

My concern is - Does it need to be re-calibrated and what would need to be done ? ie compass and / or FC?
If anyone could post a link to any info about calibrating, I have seen the "New" way but is that only for the new firmware .84?

The other query is the diversity board - Do I bind the sat with the receiver, then the board? any Links or info to help me out please ?? :confused:

If you can think of something else you would do please let me know what I may have missed or highly recommend

Thanks , Jim :cool:

MikroJ

Okay looks like part of my question was answered thanks to RTRyder, with one of my previous threads......
On the diversity board if you use the standard Spektrum satellites and your TX has more than 7 channels you should bind at least one of them to the TX using the standard receiver that comes with the radio first and then just connect the rest to the diversity board then do the diversity board binding procedure. The default on the satellites is 7 channels but if you bind one with an 8 or 11 channel RX then it will know that the TX has that many channels and you'll get them all using the diversity board.

Cheers for that just gotta work out the binding process of the board.... I going to try - hold button on board plug in battery of MK , then turn on TX with bind held in....

Buzzed

Jim don't be surprised if it takes some time to get your 1st GPS lock. If the MK came from the other side of the world the GPS will need to build a new map of the satellite positions for your specific area. You'll really like your new JRX-9503.

MikroJ

Hi buzzed, It didn't take long after I went ontop of a big open hill, and ever since then it only takes around 1 min to get 3d lock. Do you know If I would need to recalibrate the MK, I mean the level calibrate not just throttle up l:)eft one ? - Just checked tracking of controller could be here tomorrow !!!!!!!!!

one day before my 2 week holiday over in veitnam!! ;)

50 cent beers here I come !!:cool:

Buzzed

If it were me and I had just purchased a used MK I think it would be prudent doing all the calibrations myself for the 1st time so you know they are right.

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
Changing the RX will not have any effect on the previous calibrations, so assuming they were done correctly to begin with, all you need to do is connect and bind the new RX and then make sure the settings are right in the TX. Make sure to connect to the flight controller board with MKtool and verify that you have the correct RX type selected and that each channel K value goes from -125 to +125. If you want to be absolutely certain everything is right then you should do all of the calibration procedures again once you have the new radio setup and are ready to start flying. If you need help doing any of these steps, let us know once you have everything setup, there are many of us here than can assist.

Ken

MikroJ

so to recalibrate should i take landing gear off, level off a bucket and spin the Mk round etc.... can someone please suggest tips and tricks. Im using .82 firmware. I have read somewhere how to do it , just gotta do search again.... cheers.

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
so to recalibrate should i take landing gear off, level off a bucket and spin the Mk round etc.... can someone please suggest tips and tricks. Im using .82 firmware. I have read somewhere how to do it , just gotta do search again.... cheers.

You don't need to take the landing gear off to recalibrate. To do the accelerometer calibration I leave the landing gear on and just sit the whole MK down into a cardboard box so that arms rest on the top edge. The important thing is that the flight controller and each arm be as level as possible and the arms should be parallel to the flight controller, it won't help to have the board perfectly level if one or two of the arms are skewed. After making sure the F/C and MK itself are level move the throttle stick up and to the right, you only need to do this once after a build or after reassembling the MK from crash damage/repairs.

To calibrate the compass its not critical that the MK be perfectly level, I use the floor of the basement and put the MK on a piece of cardboard so it will rotate easily on the floor, heres a chart with the steps for compass calibration...

CompCal.jpg

Ken

MikroJ

Great thanks for the info, your chart was very handy.........So i have had success flying so far and really am enjoying the way it handles. Everything seems to be working well, GPS hold is probably the next step in tunning........but first thing is to fly smoothly etc for videos, then some tweaking ..........thanks for your input....

Buzzed

If you don't want to use a cardboard box for the level calibration it's pretty easy to make one of these from some scraps of wood. Mine hangs on the wall in the workroom when not in use.

Guess you could turn it upside down for a Heli Pad to practice landings too.

Attachments

• initial_calibration.jpg
    initial_calibration.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 272