What Flight Controller for 20lb x8

jfro

Aerial Fun
I've some experience with Hoverfly, Naza V2, xAircraft, & Pixhawk. Hoverfly and xAircraft on the x8, the others on quads.

Looking for opinions from those whom fly or have tried a low kv x8 system (say 18 or more lbs) and what your thoughts are on flight controllers.

I'm not overjoyed with the handling of my xAircraft SuperX on my new x8. I can live with it, but I got to believe there's something better. The Hoverfly was nice and smooth, but I'd like some of the extra features the other FC's have. I don't have the skills for the Hoverfly's manual mode to fly with the confidence that I feel with the other FC's.

I read about the issues with the DJI A2 and it appears it has some teething problems. It's also a tad expensive for my budget.

It's confusing out there. Is the x8 just a monster to tame?

jfro

Aerial Fun
Got a couple quick flights in tonight before rain started. Pretty calm and x8 flew like butter and new 32bit alexmos performed pretty good considering it's on the 3rd try on it and I did nothing to it since last flight. It's a Jekyll and Hyde situation.

I guess my issues are more with the 10-20mph windy days. Called my dealer today and asked them to rely on to the xAircraft folks to please work on the x8 configuration, hopefully in the wind. Maybe see some improvement in next firmware release.

jfro

Aerial Fun
I've considered trying a DJI WKM, but it just seems like I'd be going backwards to older technology. It may come to me trying one, but for now, I have the luxury of waiting this out.

I use the WKM on my x8 which is about 25lbs. Works well for me but I'd like to try the MK set up.
What issues do you have with WMK, what makes you want to change?

Im on Super X with a 20lb x8. Its amazing when there is no wind and your doing slow movements. As soon as its windy or you start moving fast you have to lower your gains down to stop it vibrating. It really is annoying. Im considering MK or maybe WMK. But does any one know how much work is involved in tuning MK? Ive got no idea.

jfro

Aerial Fun
What issues do you have with WMK, what makes you want to change?

Im on Super X with a 20lb x8. Its amazing when there is no wind and your doing slow movements. As soon as its windy or you start moving fast you have to lower your gains down to stop it vibrating. It really is annoying. Im considering MK or maybe WMK. But does any one know how much work is involved in tuning MK? Ive got no idea.

It is amazing when there is no wind. How do we get to the coders at xAircraft to give us some more settings/ adjustments for the wind or fast flight?
I gotta believe it can tuned in their software if they would put some effort into it.

maxwelltub

I don't really have any issue with the WKM. I hear the throttle response is nicer on the MK boards as well as better wind performance. Also I don't really use gps or position hold.

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
jfro

here's a vid i made over two years ago of a coaxial quad with Mikrokopter in the wind using the standard beginner settings. the winds were 22 gusting to 30 kts.

Last edited by a moderator:

Do you have any videos of your machine flying where you can see it? What are your thoughts on MK? Would you recommend it?

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
Do you have any videos of your machine flying where you can see it? What are your thoughts on MK? Would you recommend it?

Ryan,

MK is a mature system at this point but there can still be a lot of frustration. Give it the time though and it will work very well and provide a lot of features in addition to rock solid flying qualities.

Flight mode is more like autolevel but you can tune that out if you want to make it more like a manual or attitude mode.

I"m starting a new 6S powered Mikrokopter XY8 tonight and may post a build thread, I haven't decided yet as I'm really up against a deadline and won't have a lot of time to spare for making videos and logging progress. You'll see it in the build threads area if i go ahead with it.

On your new build your running A2(obviously not the one your talking about).I don't know much about A2, but it sounds like it has issues? Whats the main advantage over WKM? Why did you use A2 over MK?
Are there any known issues with MK 2.5? Il be flying it commercially so i want something that works, and is very reliable. So if it requires some tuning thats fine, but if its never ending then maybe WKM is a better option.

jfro

Aerial Fun
Just an update. Had some gusty winds yesterday and before dinner. Swapped flight controllers between 650mm Quad w/ 3520 KDE motors and X8 with Avroto 3515.

1st took the SuperX off my X8 and put it on my 650 quad that was flying beautifully with a Naza V2 GPS w/ KDE 3520's carrying gopro, gh2, & gh3. I flew a quick 8 minute flight with some gusty winds and video from GH2 was fine.

I then put the Naza on my X8 with and flew (without Gimbal/camera setup) so it was probably in the 14lb range. I flew it around in the gusts for 5-6 minutes and felt it handled better. Lost daylight, so didn't get a chance to fly with daylight.

Forecast is for pretty calm winds for next few days. I'll get a short test flight in tonight with camera & gimbal. Then I'll have to wait for a windy day to give it a real workout.

I'm questioning if it's wise to use the Naza on my most expensive and heaviest MR. I hadn't it tired it before because
1. Tthe occasional fly away issues we hear about with DJI (not sure if it's setup error or Flight Controller error/bug).
2. I've read some peeps say that the Naza is for lighter MR's and one should go with the higher end A2 or Wookong for heavier rigs.

If I can get steady video in 15-18mph winds with the Naza v2 and feel that I have safe & satisfactory control over the flight, I will probably leave it on and give it a try.

Be curious to hear opinions on this idea of using the Naza on an 18-20lb X8 and moderately expensive camera gear.

Naza is fine, the FC doesn't know or care about your AUW. Just stay away from GPS mode and make sure your esc, motors, props, power distro are in working order. Also the moment you see any unusual behavior land ASAP.

jfro

Aerial Fun
Naza is fine, the FC doesn't know or care about your AUW. Just stay away from GPS mode and make sure your esc, motors, props, power distro are in working order. Also the moment you see any unusual behavior land ASAP.

I'm going to give it a try for a while. GPS mode is not something I use alot, just mostly a fail safe for if/when I lose orientation of need a quick stop/ hold position. I did some IOC flying over water this weekend which seemed to work ok. I've used GPS sparing on the quad but always with no issues. Haven't tried return to home and probably won't now that it's on a more expensive MR, but it is programmed on my radio. I've never had any unusual behavior that I can remember. I've flown the Naza v2 on a 450 & 550 quad with high kv motors and lately on the heavier quad with low KV motors at 650mm. Nothing unusual so far. I'm careful where I fly, so stay away from power sources etc.

I think part of my reservations to using the Quad on an X8 is when checking X8 on Vimeo or Youtube, one does not find alot of video to watch. There are a few, but not many indicating that it's not a popular configuration. So is this because it doesn't work well or the marketing to upsell to more expensive Flight Controllers is that good.

Other reservation is the flyaways. The DJI flyaways are a bit mystifying to me. I can't decide how many are setup issues, start up issues or what. I never take off without getting the string of green lights inidcating home posiiton being recorded. If I get home position greed led's before I am down to 1 red flash, I wait it out or move the MR until I'm down to 1 or 0 red flashes and a new string of green flashes showing home position. Sometimes in my back yard (trees, houses cloudy days, etc.) it can take 1-3 minutes to get a home position and sometimes it will happen before I get 1 or 0 red flashes. If I wait, usually within another 30-90 seconds, it finds some more satellites and shows 0 red flashes and re-shows the green flashes indicating home position.