What do you want from your Flight Control company??

DKTek

Yeah Bart, I'm there with you.

My MK red boards are far more reliable than the black ones. My Jib has crashed twice now due to the Black MK boards. The first crash, the pitch gyro failed and the Jib did a forward flip and crashed. It landed on it's feet but was enough force to collapse the retracts, bounce back up and land on the roll cage, which did it's job very well. It was nasty to watch but amazingly, didn't do much damage at all. That DW airframe is tough. Fortunately the AV200 wasn't on it at that time. We replaced the FC 2.1 ME with another, out of the box new, and flew it a little over an hour.

During that time, I never used Pos/Alt hold. Unfortunately, when I decided to try it, it was during a full up test with everything going....camera, video link, monitors, etc.. I was smart enough to fly over a friends yard which has 3 inchs of cushy grass. Just after takeoff, I climbed between 6 and 8 ft and flipped the Alt hold on. As it drifted slightly sideways, I flipped Pos Hold and the Jib suddenly climbed then lost power. During that time, the motors screeched as if they lost timing. It came down flat and the retracts again took the force and bent. The gimbal hit and collapsed the roll arms but the camera was fine and kept recording during the event. Again, the Jib is untouched.

I need to replace the retracts legs. I see that they are making extended legs for more cam clearance so that's perfect timing. Also, the AV200 has a crash kit, http://shop.quadrocopter.us/AV-200-Repair-Kit_p_503.html is now available....geesh, how many crashes did it take to decide on a crash kit?

I'm considering on using my old Okto red stack as it's up to date and has never failed me with a lot of FPV flying logged.

I may change to either the DJI system or the micropilot triple redundant systems, http://www.micropilot.com/news-2011-may-17.htm .

dfxxx

And what would we be willing to pay for such a full-featured and robust flight control system?

$1000ish is where things are at now. $2k, $5k, $10k? I'm pretty impressed for how much we get for $1000 considering what it's actually doing!

Or are you saying you want all of that for $200?

wbrown

I agree with dfxxx - What you can get for $1000 is amazing. The DJI wkm has been great for me. Set up fine tuning could be easier but anyone with patience can easily get the wkm tuned to their liking. The Camera gimbal stabilization does the rest. Which is, personally where I prefer to focus my attention.

Dewster

And what would we be willing to pay for such a full-featured and robust flight control system?

$1000ish is where things are at now. $2k, $5k, $10k? I'm pretty impressed for how much we get for $1000 considering what it's actually doing!

Or are you saying you want all of that for $200?

I second that. There are companies that charge 40,000 for what you can assemble for $3000. That includes craft, radio, camera, gimbal etc. The features are simply amazing!

dfxxx

I, for one, would welcome a more robust Octo board. The fact that a $0.01 servo connector could vibrate lose and destroy my high end camera platform and camera/lens doesn't give confidence in anything other than your own building skills.

I have taken measures to prevent it of course. But no pro-level positive locking connectors on stuff marketed as "pro"?

Is somebody making a $40k FC system? Because I'd love to see what's involved with that. Or is that one of these complete RTF rigs?

Either way, I think there is a distinction between hobby level and pro.

DKTek

I, for one, would welcome a more robust Octo board. The fact that a $0.01 servo connector could vibrate lose and destroy my high end camera platform and camera/lens doesn't give confidence in anything other than your own building skills.

I have taken measures to prevent it of course. But no pro-level positive locking connectors on stuff marketed as "pro"?

Is somebody making a $40k FC system? Because I'd love to see what's involved with that. Or is that one of these complete RTF rigs?

Either way, I think there is a distinction between hobby level and pro.

http://store.micropilot.com/product-p/a-2128-heli.htm This is a pro unit for $6000 and it's available as a triple redundant system for $18,000....less than half of your $40K!