What can $1,000 get me

Exco

What I needed is something that is going to be able to hold a DSLR in the future. I need this for photography and videography.

Will something like this http://www.wowhobbies.com/turboacex8...ytxbat-16.aspx work for what I need?

Basically a solid base that I can later add a gimbal, fpv.. etc

I have a $1,000 budget to spend so my question is am I better off with something like the link I gave above or build it from scratch. Will need a TX also.

I think if you have all the required knowledge and can crunch the numbers ordering your motors and all from somewhere like hobbyking and a Tarot frame would be the way to go. Are you new to the hobby? If so I would recommend something like a DJIF550 or getting a RCtimer S800 clone. Well worth the money.

SleepyC

www.AirHeadMedia.com
You really will not be able to support a DSLR platform with a $1000.

A decent DSLR gimbal is going to be around $500 - $1000.

Then the motors and ESC’s able to lift a DSLR alone will be another $450 at the very minimum to a respectable $1600 for some good motors and ESC’s.
Then a good frame is anywhere from $300 - $2000 depending on what you want.

Hope that gives you a little perspective.

Exco

So basically for a bare bone's flying multicopter that can support a DSLR in the "future" I will have to spend over 1k?

SleepyC

www.AirHeadMedia.com
So basically for a bare bone's flying multicopter that can support a DSLR in the "future" I will have to spend over 1k?

I would say realistically, to support a DSLR and get usable footage you are looking at minimum (using gear that would not be considered commercial) of around $2750 and more realistically $3500- $4000.

Exco

Thanks for the info. Looks like I will have to stick to just a GoPro for awhile then.

Any suggestions for a solid stable setup for a GoPro.

SleepyC

www.AirHeadMedia.com
I think the best bang for the buck is to build your own.
I built this lil guy, a quadframesus Heavylift quad frame with nice T-motors, and ESC’s a Tarot 2-D gimbal and SuperX flight control and it was around $1000
75 flights, many commercial not even a hiccup. 4S 6000mah packs will get me 12+minutes of flight time on 12/38 SF props.
View attachment 14907View attachment 14908

Attachments

• 962822_10201766727880208_1261835671_n.jpg
    962822_10201766727880208_1261835671_n.jpg
    141.7 KB · Views: 208
  • 1238050_10201943073688743_948631773_n.jpg
    1238050_10201943073688743_948631773_n.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 237

Thanks for the info. Looks like I will have to stick to just a GoPro for awhile then.

Any suggestions for a solid stable setup for a GoPro.

Hi! If you can up your budget to $1500 I think you could do it! You would have to go with a NAZA instead of WKM or A2 but it would still work. If you can wait I would though. In order to do serious filming I would have a 3 axis gimbal and retractable landing gear. That by far is the best way to go in my opinion. You could run like a sony nex3 or 5 on a 550 though. If you are going to go that route I recommend an all stock DJI bundle. would be a good investment for your gopro too. look here: http://rc-drones.com/dji-promotions.php $799 w/ zenmuse

SleepyC

www.AirHeadMedia.com
SleepyC if you was to build one again would you still build a quad or go with something different

Depends on what it is for.
For a gopro rig, Quad. efficient easy to transport, lower cost... perfect rig for that application.

For a NEX5 or GH3 smaller mirror less cam, A Hex.

For a 5D or RED Octo....

Breezemont

Looks like I will have to stick to just a GoPro for awhile then.
Don't buy into that nonsense, do the math yourself.
Figure out your payload weight, then work backwards from there.
A rule of thumb ideal AUW would be half battery weight and half the rest, including payload.
My advice would be to stay away from DJI. You can get an APM 2.5 with the same capabilities for a couple hundred bucks that works really well.
Mike Evans (Power on RCG) built a $30 wood frame DSLR lifting tricopter a few years ago that performed just fine.

You could build something like that for LESS than $1000.

Last edited by a moderator:

Exco

Thanks for all the feedback guys.

I made this thread because I have no clue about mulitcopters. So I was looking to you all for guidance from you experiences.

Help me build the best copter possible for the budget of $1k

sixshooterstang

Bird's Eyes Aerial Media
If you are starting out I would suggest you invest in a beginner helicopter and try that out before you stick your DSLR into the ground first flight.

PeteDee

Mr take no prisoners!
I think the best bang for the buck is to build your own.
I built this lil guy, a quadframesus Heavylift quad frame with nice T-motors, and ESC’s a Tarot 2-D gimbal and SuperX flight control and it was around $1000
75 flights, many commercial not even a hiccup. 4S 6000mah packs will get me 12+minutes of flight time on 12/38 SF props.
View attachment 18666View attachment 18667

What DSLR did it lift with what gimbal?