What "C" rating on batts for multi rotor copters?

LL-Cool-T

I'm wondering what "c" rating is best for mulit rotors...I fly helis and higher c ratings are desired for more "punch"...but what about multi rotor stuff? I currently have a quad F450 and Im using my trex450 batts...Id like to get some different batteries and would like to know whats the best c rating...thank you.

Lou

gtranquilla

RadioActive
I am still trying to determine that myself for my DJI F550 and RCT800 etc. I use eCalc for Multirotors and it will show you how the different C ratings affect flight weight and time etc.
Obviously the higher "C" rating batteries are not only much more expensive but also weigh more and MultiRotor weight is always a high priority issue. S

o far I have been using 35C to 45C rated batteries, often in parallel. Keep in mind that your full throttle speed is limited when flying in attitude or GPS mode such that you are limited to 6 m/sec up..... so there are no real issues there.
But when you switch to manual, you can put your MR out of sight in about 3 to 4 seconds!!!!!! One thing I notice with the DJI NAZA and WKM controllers is that the battery voltage 1st level protection will activate the red LED for as long as you are pushing your throttle toward full using the 35C batteries...... due to high current draw by all 6 motors.

I'm wondering what "c" rating is best for mulit rotors...I fly helis and higher c ratings are desired for more "punch"...but what about multi rotor stuff? I currently have a quad F450 and Im using my trex450 batts...Id like to get some different batteries and would like to know whats the best c rating...thank you.

Lou

ChrisViperM

It got nothing specifically to do with Single-rotor helis, Multirotors, RC-cars or whatever....the C-rating is just used as a formular to tell you how much Amps you can draw from a Lipo with a given capacity....If you have a 6000 mAh Lipo and your C-rating is 20, than you can draw 6000mAh x 20 = 12000mAh = 120 Amp
So the C-rating you would need entirely depends on the Motor/ESC you use....

Chris

gtranquilla

RadioActive
I think that would be 120 amps in a one hour period sinc you are multiplying mah x C rating.....
Maximum instantaneous amps is the issue to keep an eye on as well since the motors need enough amps to keep up with the AUW torque requirements.

It got nothing specifically to do with Single-rotor helis, Multirotors, RC-cars or whatever....the C-rating is just used as a formular to tell you how much Amps you can draw from a Lipo with a given capacity....If you have a 6000 mAh Lipo and your C-rating is 20, than you can draw 6000mAh x 20 = 12000mAh = 120 Amp
So the C-rating you would need entirely depends on the Motor/ESC you use....

Chris