Want to make sure I don't ruin my batteries...

JG-rn

Just read a post where the user was using the same battery as me, hyperion 4s 45c 3300mah, and was getting 20 minute flight time with 8" props on the f450 frame. I'm using 9" graupners with t-motors , so I'm a little optimistic Ill get a solid 10 minute flight time before the voltage gets too low. I'm am gonna put some fpv gear on the f450, vTx and antenna, 35gram camera, 460mah battery....hopefully I'll still get 10 solid minutes.

JG-rn

Well I spent on hour on parallels (god it's slow) and I now have the Naza assistant software downloaded. Just got four deans connectors so I'll get these soldered up today.

janoots2

If parallels is running slow, use boot camp. Parallels was running way to slow on my old MacBook. Installed boot camp and works like a dream.

Your comp has to run both windows and osx at the same time to run parallels, and if your machine is older/slower it will continue to run that way. With boot camp, your machine only has to run windows.

tstrike

pendejo grande
I saw a win7 laptop for 250 bucks at walmart this last weekend, they call it bootcamp to get you ready for the hardships you'll endure. I don't know how savvy you are with soldering deans, do a search for Bartman's "soldering deans" vid. Just remember to have a male connector in while you solder the female to the battery, the plastic on the deans can get deformed from the heat, and let it cool completely before you detach. I like to mark the female with a sharpie cuzz I've soldered and heatshrinked a battery then realize I'd put the wrong sex connector on and had to redo one of my best deans soldering jobs EVER!

Last edited by a moderator:

JG-rn

If parallels is running slow, use boot camp. Parallels was running way to slow on my old MacBook. Installed boot camp and works like a dream.

Your comp has to run both windows and osx at the same time to run parallels, and if your machine is older/slower it will continue to run that way. With boot camp, your machine only has to run windows.

My MBP is three years old this month. Now that I have the naza assistant dl'd to parallels desktop I think I should be ok. Using windows IE is what runs ungodly slow on parallels. And then half the time it's stops responding and I have to force quite and then it freezes and I have to reboot....ugh.

I wold prefer to use bootcamp but I'd have to purchase a full windows home install again so I'm going to try and use this for now.

JG-rn

Cool beans! I don't know how savvy you are with soldering deans, do a search for Bartman's "soldering deans" vid. Just remember to have a male connector in while you solder the female to the battery, the plastic on the deans can get deformed from the heat, and let it cool completely before you detach. I like to mark the female with a sharpie cuzz I've soldered and heatshrinked a battery then realize I'd put the wrong sex connector on and had to redo one of my best deans soldering jobs EVER!

The problem is the only male connector I have for the deans is the power cord on my f450.

janoots2

If you just installed windows I think you get a couple days grace period before it actually registers on your machine. Once parallels ran so slow for me, I just uninstalled it and then installed boot camp.

I got my XP version off amazon for about $65, I think... Just make sure you buy the right bit for your processor.

Hopefully Dji will simply come out with an osx version. Shouldn't be that hard now that the app is supposedly being released (I would assume)...

janoots2

Speaking of deans...a while back I ordered some from amainhobbies and they were poor quality, even though they said deans right on the package. Learned you need to be careful and confirm what your actually ordering with connectors.

However, progressive rc carries the good quality deans (the ones included on the wookong and their spyder batteries with "XT" on them). Has anyone ordered traxxas connectors from progressive as well? Their price seems too good to be true as compared to amain?

Last edited by a moderator:

JG-rn

Managed to get 2 1/2 batteries done. Soldering iron crapped out on me on the middle of the third one. Also ruined a deans connector....it got distorted from the heat so I need to order a couple more. I originally ordered a pack of them from HK but the shipping notification said it can a keep to 45 days to receive the shipment LMAO! I ordered some connectors from rcdude.com but looks like I need to place another order.

I need to get another iron as well. Is this one good?

http://www.rcdude.com/servlet/the-1265/Soldering-Iron--dsh--60/Detail

janoots2

Those are the same deans I got from amain that I didn't like. Progressive RC's seem much better in my opinion - they hold better and the plastic is better.

JG-rn

If you just installed windows I think you get a couple days grace period before it actually registers on your machine. Once parallels ran so slow for me, I just uninstalled it and then installed boot camp.

I got my XP version off amazon for about $65, I think... Just make sure you buy the right bit for your processor.

Hopefully Dji will simply come out with an osx version. Shouldn't be that hard now that the app is supposedly being released (I would assume)...

Yeah, I installed windows 3 years ago when I first got my MBP. I don't have the cd any longer but it seems like windows is pretty cheap now so if I have to get bootcamp I'll get the XP

my MBP needs a new battery (can't keep a charge at all) and its been a little buggy lately. Was thinking of maybe getting a new MacBook Air but I wouldn't be ale to install windows right since there's no cd drive?

olof

Osprey
but I wouldn't be ale to install windows right since there's no cd drive?

You can just buy a disc image and download it on the WEB.

I think I payed $45 for a Windows 7 Pro install specifically for Bootcamp install. It runs great on my lat 2012 MBP w/o DVD or HD just SSD. Very fast, the install is much faster than on a new PC, most likely because of the SSD. But it is generally a very fast machine.

Merry X-mas one and all.

JG-rn

Question.

I just connected the battery to the f450 for the first time. When the deans connectors initially touch, there's a very slight pop between then male and female red connectors and then its fine. I'm not crossing the connections at all, just straight in. I've pulled them apart and replugged like 5 times and each time it does it. Slight little pop and then good to go.

This normal?

olof

Osprey
Question.

I just connected the battery to the f450 for the first time. When the deans connectors initially touch, there's a very slight pop between then male and female red connectors and then its fine. I'm not crossing the connections at all, just straight in. I've pulled them apart and replugged like 5 times and each time it does it. Slight little pop and then good to go.

This normal?

Yes this is completely normal. An inline switch would keep this from happening (you would not see the spark) but it is more weight and complexity.

drdrums

Question.

This normal?

As the previous poster said, yes it's perfectly normal - in fact, it's a sign that the ESCs are in good condition! The spark is caused by the ESCs' capacitors charging. I run 3S with my setup, and still get a small pop with the 30A ESCs.

12S setups make a really big pop!

You can get antispark devices, but really - it's not a big deal. Maybe you need to eventually replace the battery connectors due to pitting, but that takes a while.

JG-rn

Thanks guys!

One other question. How do you know when the naza initially obtains a gps lock of home coordinates? Is it when the led indicator light flashes only green or something else?