Want To Buy Multi-Rotor

Lindon

I joined the forum to help me make a decision on buying a multi-rotor helicopter and a camera. I'm an intermediate RCer with fixed wing and single rotor aircraft experience. I'm a bit leary of the stuff that sells for around $200 that has a camera. I don't think the pictures would be that good. Any suggestions for a quality multi-rotor that you can mount a GoPro type camera on would be appreciated. After joining the forum I've become a bit confused on making a selection.

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
Welcome Lindon. Nice to have you onboard. Make sure you take the time to put your location in your profile so we know where you're at.

The answer to your question involves a few things. Do you want to build the craft yourself? Or do you want to buy something RTF? Seems like you'd probably have a radio you could use - but how many channels does it have? Do you like to tinker, or rather have a flight controller that comes plug-n-play?

Lastly, how good are you looking to get this video?

Make sure you determine your goals first, and then feel free to ask away - plenty of great folks here with a ton of knowledge.

Scott

Lindon

For entry into this adventure, I want a RTF. I have a 6Ch Specktrum Dxi tx. I like to tinker, but I think a plug-n-play controller would be best for me. The Phantom 1 has caught my eye, but at $479 maybe I should try something less expensive for my 1st time?

Please clarify your "How good are you looking to get this video" question.

My goal is to buy a platform that is not a toy and use it with a Go Pro camera or equivalent.

{}{steve}{}

If you feel that $479 is too expensive then your probably going to be stuck building your own quad, but that isn't a very easy thing to do unless you are familiar with multi-rotor power systems and programming flight control boards. The phantom wouldn't be compatible with your Spektrum TX out of the box, but the Blade 350QX would. Flitetest sells some inexpensive frames and they have videos that help teach you too.

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
Bart beat me to it. If you were wanting to tinker - Bart's group build would be the ticket for an affordable, but capable machine.

If you are looking for a more bind n fly style - I would research the brands that are compatible with your Spektrum. I'm not sure that the DJI phantom work with spektrum. there are others on the market now that are competing with DJI like Blade that may work for you.

If you are looking to start cheap to learn, and it's probably smart to do so, try a small "toy" quad for well under $100 or a simulator, and then move to the camera craft later.

I asked about the quality of video you were looking to capture because many look to jump in feet first, buy their first quad with the intention of starting an aerial video business. While it's possible to get good video from a gopro on these MRs, it's not typically for broadcast (although of course there are exceptions). If you're looking to capture great memories, IMHO a gopro is hard to beat.