Want to build an F450 (first time). Parts?

bobspryn

Hey all!

Totally new to quadcopters, and want to build one out instead of buying to learn. An F450 frame seems to be the leading recommendation everywhere. Not exactly sure which other parts to grab though. Many of the build outs I've seen are older, so curious what a recent spec might look like. Not concerned with keeping it super cheap, in fact I'd prefer something a little nicer that I can tweak and upgrade.

I currently have nothing, aside from the microcopter I've been playing with. I'm a blank canvas! :) Really excited to start tinkering and flying. Btw, is there a go to online vendor for ordering parts?

Best,
Bob

RCJardin

Not so new and improving
Hey all!

Totally new to quadcopters, and want to build one out instead of buying to learn. An F450 frame seems to be the leading recommendation everywhere. Not exactly sure which other parts to grab though. Many of the build outs I've seen are older, so curious what a recent spec might look like. Not concerned with keeping it super cheap, in fact I'd prefer something a little nicer that I can tweak and upgrade.

I currently have nothing, aside from the microcopter I've been playing with. I'm a blank canvas! :) Really excited to start tinkering and flying. Btw, is there a go to online vendor for ordering parts?

Best,
Bob

If you look down the threads you will find the Group Build F450 thread. This will take you through the whole process, it's very good.

bobspryn

I saw that. Does look promising. Looks like it was originally 2014. Would all the parts still be available, or potentially newer suggestions? (I'll read through it.)

bobspryn

Yeah I think so. Grabbed the kit straight from DJI, the Taranis FrSky, and these batteries (ZIPPY Compact 3300mAh 4S 35C Lipo Pack). Although crap, looks like DJI just massively discounted their kits. Considering returning and re-buying! (Is their customer service good enough that I could call and convince them to give me the new price?)

I didn't get the model with the camera mount, figuring that there might be a different mount I'd prefer.

I got my battery charger, soldering iron, battery connectors, and a couple other misc things as well.

Sounds like about everything, get it in the air yet? Which kit?

Depending on return policy they might work with you on adjusting price especially if their policy allows you to currently return it. Suppose it doesn't hurt to ask.

If you are new to lipos as well, charge them in lipo safe bags, store them around 3.85-3.9 volts per cell, and don't run them too long. Extra 2-3 minutes of flight time could destroy a battery. Better off landing, swapping batteries and rotating them on a charger if needed. I have a small generator for that purpose.

bobspryn

Haven't started on it yet, waiting to see if my buddy or Dad is going to join me in building one together. I did get a lipo safe bag, but I didn't know about storing them at that voltage or running them too long. Thanks!

In theory, a 3300 mah pack will give you about 2600 mah or about 80%, going beyond that can damage a pack.

It will vary from pack to pack, I have a 1500 mah that I charged 1495 mah back in, resting voltage was 3.50ish. 3.70 volts per cell I believe is considered a good rest voltage for a full flight. I continue to use the pack and never so much as puffed or showed any signs of abuse, likely the cells are rated enough above 1500 mah that I did no damage but it is a bad way to find out. I had accidentally left my charger on storage mode when I charged the battery and plugged it into the drone without checking voltage. The timer I use puts me at about 3.85-3.90 volts (storage voltage) so that I don't have to always recharge afterwards. If I want a full flight I just reset timer in flight for a second count down. So I was lucky that I was only planning on flying half a pack when I started with half a pack or it would have fallen out of the sky.

Easiest way to do it, once you are up and flying - fly say four minutes and then recharge the battery. If you only used 1200 mah, the next flight you can double the timer and see how close you get to 2600 mah. The charger should tell you how much you put back in each time. Note, when learning to hover you will use less power, so as you start picking up speed you will need decrease your timer. Just keep an eye on the total input for a charge and you will be good to go.