Want Gopro drone that "follows" and can be flow. Does it Exist?

So have a Phantom 2, total rookie flyer. So seen the Lily, Airdog but want something I can fly also. I do a lot over water with rowers. For my stuff over water Lily looks great but questions on camera upgrade and lack of gimbal. Sort of trying to avoid owning two drones. Other options? Anything I am missing?

Thanks!

SleepyC

www.AirHeadMedia.com
Lily is a fake. Doesn't work yet. From what I have heard Airdog is the same.
The APM FC's and many other FC's offer follow me...

Thanks thats too bad. As for the Lily being able to be out rowing and just be able to chuck in the water and go was appealing, even its camera/gimbal limitations. Sorry sort of new to this APM FC? Something...Flight Control?

Appreciate the input

SamaraMedia

3DR's Pixhawk is supposed to be pretty nice too but from what I've read is a little more complex in setting up than your average NAZA or newbie FC.

Stacky

Lily is a fake. Doesn't work yet. From what I have heard Airdog is the same.
The APM FC's and many other FC's offer follow me...
Fake?, how do you know this. I saw another video of it being demonstrated which showed it working very well.

Last edited by a moderator:

SamaraMedia

Like so many products today, slick advertising and no real meat behind it. So many of these products today a slickly produced to make it looks easy as pie to operate only to find it's still in the development stage.

violetwolf

Meh, what's the odd facial laceration when its so easy and fun! /sarcasm

These types of drones should be illegal before hundreds get hurt and all "drones" are banned.

To the OP: Drones are not toys as the marketers would have you believe. They are dangerous and require study, skill and practice to operate safely. Practice a lot with your dji unit and study a lot.. Move up when you feel its safe to do so.

People can bleed out from contact with these machines before help can arrive

Stacky

Did you see the flight demo LAST week that was NOT produced by Lily in NYC where the CEO of the company almost killed the tester's face? It's "works....." but not like advertised.

http://www.theguardian.com/technolo...esting-the-selfie-drone-in-central-park-video
Yeah saw that video, also saw another one which was a live demo as well which went ok. The video on the guardian website doesnt mean anything is a fake. That just means that a live demo went badly. You do know what the word fake means dont you?

Last edited by a moderator:

Stacky

Meh, what's the odd facial laceration when its so easy and fun! /sarcasm

These types of drones should be illegal before hundreds get hurt and all "drones" are banned.

To the OP: Drones are not toys as the marketers would have you believe. They are dangerous and require study, skill and practice to operate safely. Practice a lot with your dji unit and study a lot.. Move up when you feel its safe to do so.

People can bleed out from contact with these machines before help can arrive

The trouble these days is people make overly emotive statements which really do the writer no favours.
Illegal before HUNDREDS are hurt and ALL drones are banned?.

Seriously???

SleepyC

www.AirHeadMedia.com
Yeah saw that video, also saw another one which was a live demo as well which went ok. The video on the guardian website doesnt mean anything is a fake. That just means that a live demo went badly. You do know what the word fake means dont you?

What I mean was the FOOTAGE that the "promo" shows is 100% fake. The lily has no gimbal, it's in no way going to give you stabilized footage going down a mountain. Have you ever filmed anything with a rig in cold weather? On a ski slope? A tiny quad with no gimbal is NOT going to get ANYWHERE near that footage... = FAKE.

It would be like showing you the acceleration of a Ferrari and then you buy into it, and they had you a bike.

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
take a look at the 3dr iris plus .

i second this recommendation, the Iris+ works great and comes with the add-on to enable your Android phone to double as your follow-me hub. the heli needs the Tarot 2D GoPro gimbal to be able to simultaneously follow you and shoot video but these heli's with the gimbal are very affordable on the internet at the moment.

keep in mind, with follow me there are a few limitations that any heli will have
*can't fly under or around trees or other obstacles. since they can't sense and avoid obstacles you'll have to make sure the heli's aren't flwon into obstacles while following you.
*battery life limits how far you can go with them
*limited maximum velocity means you can't jump in your car and do 80mph while expecting the heli to keep up
*the faster you try to go the more quickly the batteries will deplete

if you watch the 3DR demo video where Colin uses the Iris+ to follow him while he's paddle boarding then you'll see it works very well but if you just keep in mind the few limitations you'll likely have comparable results.

Thanks for the input! Here is another one to add to the mix, can launch from the water, they say 100% water proof but not ready for another 7-9mths.

Waterproof Drone

violetwolf

Ok how about this one? https://hexoplus.com

Any thoughts on the Solo https://store.3drobotics.com/t/solo VS. DJI Phantoms? I will stick with flying Gopros as they meet my needs, and budget. Trying to keep it around the $2500 mark.

I've not heard of the Hexo company. 3DR is a decent and large outfit that responds to email (DJI does not usually)

I shouldn't comment further as I don't have any experience with gopro size cameras. Although they can be a ***** to get to play nice with many gimbals due to the light weight. I'd look for users of the 3DR machine and get feedback. They use great flight controllers

violetwolf

The trouble these days is people make overly emotive statements which really do the writer no favours.
Illegal before HUNDREDS are hurt and ALL drones are banned?.

Seriously???
Yes I'm 100% serious. Citing several injuries our local city council has outright banned "drones" in ALL public spaces... In fact they're extending it to ALL R/C devices.

I'm a professional and can assure you not prone to exaggeration

fltundra

How about the first time someone throws it off a bridge, only to realize the battery wasn't charged.:)
cleardot.gif

cootertwo

All I'd like to know is how you plan on only owning ONE multirotor! I'm up to around 14 flying, and probably another 14 in kits, bits and pieces!
Ammo boxes full of lipo's, radios and props hanging on the wall. Not to mention my barn full of nitro stuff. Addictive? YES!
planes005.jpg