Vulcan Mantis test flights 2 + 3

Tomstoy2

I have to admit, it's an odd looking duck. However, as far as los flying goes, it's damn near impossible to loose orientation with it. Then there is the WKM. Owning one myself, I must say, as long as you take the time to understand the system and take the time to build a proper model, the WKM is just an excellent controller. The whole trick to it is to not get carried away with the upgraded firmware. Find one that works for you and stick with it. You got a beauty there. Can't wait to see a gimbal on her and the results from it!

I have to admit, it's an odd looking duck. However, as far as los flying goes, it's damn near impossible to loose orientation with it. Then there is the WKM. Owning one myself, I must say, as long as you take the time to understand the system and take the time to build a proper model, the WKM is just an excellent controller. The whole trick to it is to not get carried away with the upgraded firmware. Find one that works for you and stick with it. You got a beauty there. Can't wait to see a gimbal on her and the results from it!

cheers Tom, gimbal is coming today, got the camera ready to go so can't wait myself. Hopefully have some pics up later.

andrewrob

Been looking at the octo version of these, have you had any other conventional hex/octos before? Just wondering if there's a noticeable difference in the way it handles wind.

Thanks

Hi Andrew, yes had a conventional hex before, it was a homebuiltone with a wookong, it's actually quite windy in the vid with some strong gusts and it handled it brilliantly, I don't know how much that is to do with the cranked arm though.

I recently converted a Vulcan 900mm into a 'Mantis' and I have not noticed any significant difference in the way that it handles. It actually wonder if all arms were converted to the Mantis ones, would this increase the stability of the platform as the CofG would then be lower than the thrust plane? I think that the Mantis arms do help orientation close in, but as soon as you take the multi a little distance away this advantage disappears (at least for me). The only real advantage I think is that they take the arms out of shot with a forward facing camera when in fast forward flight. This is largely irrelevant if you are using a 360 gimbal as I am. I need to fly some more with mine before I decide whether to keep the Mantis configuration or not. Jury is out at the moment.

sybasurfa

I need to fly some more with mine before I decide whether to keep the Mantis configuration or not.

Hey Panda.. have you had much chance to fly lately? We too are thinking about converting to a Mantis Hex / S800 Retractable legs / Zenmuse hybrid.. just wondering how your finding it.. any vibrations in the footage?

Hi there. I have been having problems with gimbal vibes and jitters since I changed to Mantis arms. It is entirely possible that this has nothing at all to do with the arms, but for the time being I have taken them off as part of the process of elimination. I will let you know. Roll on a decent brushless conversion for the Cinestar gimbal !!!

sybasurfa

Thanks Panda.. tried to PM you but couldn't see anything in my sent items box so thought I should reply on here...

Just wanted to clarify.. Are you still running the vulkan hex rig.. just without the Z arm/s (Were you using 1 or 2?).. and the vibes are better like that?

Also.. I presume you are using the "VULCAN 200mm Gel Isolation Plate" but are you using the Zenmuse or another gimbal?

All help greatly appreciated :)