Virtualdub workflow help ?

CopterCam

Decided to run some GoPro HD footage (720P, 50fps) through Virtualub with the 'deselect' for rolling shutter. The source video was pretty OK but the output video showed a serious jitter while the camera was stationary whereas in FF/BF it was fine ? Deshaker was poor throughout ?

What is your workflow and settings for optimum results ? or any suggestions on another programme ? I'm using Windows 7, 64 bit.

Sid

Macsgrafs

Sid, have you put a ND filter over the lens of the gopro???? As you know the gopros have a fixed aperture & the shutter speed changes, so allowing less light through will slow it down & help with the rolling shutter. Try that first & then worry about the software after. I only use premiere which allows one to deinterlace the footage, have tried VD & couldnt get on with it, deshaker had the same results for me. I hate the idea of having to convert from H264 to another format before VD can use it, you've already lost quality with the H264 & then again in the conversion & then again in the output :(

Ross

CopterCam

Sid, have you put a ND filter over the lens of the gopro???? As you know the gopros have a fixed aperture & the shutter speed changes, so allowing less light through will slow it down & help with the rolling shutter. Try that first & then worry about the software after. I only use premiere which allows one to deinterlace the footage, have tried VD & couldnt get on with it, deshaker had the same results for me. I hate the idea of having to convert from H264 to another format before VD can use it, you've already lost quality with the H264 & then again in the conversion & then again in the output :(

Ross

Ross, Thanks ! The ND filter is an interesting idea for the GoPro HD. How is it mounted ? Do you have any photos and sources ?

Sid