Video Image Drops Out Intermittently On Nex 7

Giovanni59

I have been using a Sony Nex7 for years, first with a separate FPV camera sitting next to the camera and then I switched to transmitting the converted HDMI signal for more accurate composition. However lately the FPV video image drops out, first intermittently and then sometimes for the rest of the flight. IOSD signal still comes through all the time so I know my Immersion 600mw TX is working fine. So either the camera's HDMI signal is not getting out or the wires connecting the camera to the converter or it is the converter (I use those white box type) or the wire connecting the converter to the TX. I have replaced the wire from the camera with a new Freefly Hyperthin style Mini HDMI to reg HDMI and I still get the drop out. While on the bench I fiddle with all the connections and wires and do not get any drop out so it does not seem to be loose wires or connections. I would think if the converter was bad it would just go and not work intermittently. I do not power the converter, never had to although that is an issue with some other cameras but I was always under the impression that the Nex puts out enough power to the converter and it has always worked before. I let the system sit on the bench for almost an hour and all was fine but I know when I go up again I am going to get the image dropping out again. FYI it just goes black , it is not a transmission problem. I am getting a few more converters in and will try switching it out but still baffled why it is intermittent. Anyone have the same problems? Any suggestions on troubleshooting? Thanks

hjls3

had a similar issue arise - is the converter getting warm? that was my issue - got another converter and took it out of the white plastic box and mounted in a 3d printed case so it could breathe and havent had a problem since.

Giovanni59

I originally was using the board only, taken out of the plastic case but I had it done for me.
I am worried about trying it myself, I was told it can be tricky dismantling it and not messing up the solders.
I have an extra one so I will give it a try. The overheating makes sense. Thanks