Vibration dampening with F550 and aeroxcraft landing gear/gimbal

Recently I've been trying to dampen the vibrations going to my nex5n to get more clear shots. Went to the local hardware store and got some longer bolts for my landing gear mount, and a bunch of rubber grommets/washers. This is what I came up with so far.. Rubber inbetween the bolt head and upper frame, rubber inbetween the lower F550/upper landing gear, and rubber inbetween the bottom nut and landing gear. Haven't tested it much yet, hopefully today.

View attachment 9445

Attachments

• IMG_20130206_162207.jpg
    IMG_20130206_162207.jpg
    143.5 KB · Views: 258

mrbonk

I just built the F550 last night and it took me 2 hours to balance the motors. A couple of them were *way* out of balance, even with the stickers removed. They're silky smooth now, so it's definitely worth the time to do it. Ditto your props....if you don't already have one, get yourself a good quality prop balancer (Dubro for eg) and balance them, including the hubs. You'll be surprised how much less vibes you'll have then :)

mrbonk

Very patiently ;)
I found a seismometer app for the iPhone (called iSeismometer) and used that to analyse the vibes in the airframe, one motor at a time. I'm pretty sure there was a video kicking around on the interwebs at the time, showing a guy using it.

Anyway, I disconnected all but one motor, then took the prop and adaptor off and ran it. I got a piece of tape (I cut small squares of canopy tape) and moved it around on the motor can until I got the least vibes possible, then repeated the process with the prop/adaptor mounted. I also used the Dubro prop balancer to balance the prop *and* adaptor beforehand. Sometimes, I had to move the tape on the motor can after the prop was mounted....probably due to inconsistent prop hubs?

In any case, it was a time consuming process, but worth it for smooth running motors.