VERY strange reception/electrical issue(?): F550 w/8" vs. 10" props

halfpress

I've been tweaking and tuning my F550 off and on for the last week. Today was the first relatively windless day I had to do some real flying.

Quick summary: The 8" stock props that came with my F550 last week (hoping they are the new ones) work nicely. I balanced them before my first flight and everything is working nicely aside from a minor and seemingly intermittent slight leftward drift on hover in GPS mode that I'll save for a separate post. Basically, flies great.

The problem: When I switch to 10" props (stock and not yet balanced), flight is VERY erratic and hard to control including very strange jumps in throttle/altitude seemingly on its own. With each test, I'm in a big hurry to get it back on the ground quickly before something worse happens. Go back to 8": perfect. This is true with the DJI props and a new set of GemFan 10" props (their kind of middle of the line ones).

The STRANGE part: It almost feels like maybe something is messing with my reception, but only when using the 10" props. If not my reception, then certainly something electrical and I'll explain why... but bear with me:

I built my own lighting circuit the other night that runs on a dedicated 2S LiPo with the ability to toggle the lights on and off from the ground. This circuit will also power my gimbal servos soon, too. It consists of:

- 2S 2200 mAh LiPo strapped on (but in no way mixed with) with the main, larger 3S batteries of the F550

- Dimension Engineering AnyVolt - tiny little regulator that steps anything up to 14v down to whatever I want. In this case that's 6v for the LEDs and, soon, my servo gimbals.

- Dimension Engineering PicoSwitch - tiny receiver-controlled relay. It connects to channel 8 on my Futaba R2008SB receiver and I toggle my lights on and off with Switch A on my T8J from the ground. Works like a charm. The relay is simply opening/closing the ground wire in the circuit to the dozen 6V LEDs distributed on the arms of the F550. It won't be part of the gimbal power circuit, though, so they remain on constant power from the 2S battery.

- The PicoSwitch connecting to my receiver is the only place where this lighting circuit has any overlap with the rest of the F550 since it connects to the receiver which connects to the Naza. Remember that the power for the lights/gimbals is all coming from the dedicated 2S battery on this circuit.

- The 12 LEDs are spread evenly: two sticky-taped/tie-wrapped per arm with one near the tip and one fastened onto the downward facing, logo-side of the ESC of each arm.

- My R2008SB receiver is velcro'd onto the bottom plate to the right of the Naza (between the plates) with one antenna sticking forward horizontally and the other bent 90 degrees down through one of the base plate openings and pointing roughly toward the ground.

When flying with my 8" props, everything works great. Flight, lights toggle on and off, etc. Love it.

When flying with my 10" props, I get very erratic control, but I ALSO see my light circuit flickering on and off like crazy. Since the power for those lights is coming from a dedicated battery on a mostly closed circuit, the only way I can explain this is that something is freaking with my receiver / channel 8 / PicoSwitch - but only when I have the 10" props in place. Swap back to 8" and everything is stable in every way.

How can the presence of 10" props (on the same 3S battery I used on my 8" props) have this impact on flight control AND suddenly freak with the lighting circuit I described above? Is there any chance something is hosing reception such that my control signals are being spoofed/jumbled, which would include false toggles of my picoswitch on channel 8? In other words, the lights here might be a clue/symptom rather than part of the problem...

Sorry for the length, but this needed some detail to make sense.

Thoughts?
- Aaron

olof

Osprey
Check how badly the 10" props are out of balance. There could be an intermittent ground fault brought on by vibration, or in the receiver antenna connection. If the vibration is strong it could cause a lot of problems with marginal connections and the auto pilot.

Better yet balance those props perfectly and check the MR for vibrations. Make sure to balance the hubs on the props as well.

On my 550 with 10" Graupner E-props balanced the flight is much smoother than the stock 8".

Also what is your take off weight?

halfpress

Check how badly the 10" props are out of balance. There could be an intermittent ground fault brought on by vibration, or in the receiver antenna connection. If the vibration is strong it could cause a lot of problems with marginal connections and the auto pilot.

Better yet balance those props perfectly and check the MR for vibrations. Make sure to balance the hubs on the props as well.

On my 550 with 10" Graupner E-props balanced the flight is much smoother than the stock 8".

Also what is your take off weight?

I had another suggestion from someone a bit ago that maybe my C ratings of my batteries are too low: 20 - 30. That could be causing intermittent voltage drops that freak out things right to the receiver level. Seem plausible? I will need to order a higher C battery to test this, though.

I certainly will balance the props no matter what. The two different sets/brands perform the same, so they would both need to be similarly horribly balances out of the box, though. Also, my takeoff weight is a stock F550 + 3S 3300 battery with or without the 2S 2200. I think that makes it around 1200 grams or so? I remember with all the batteries, gopro and gimbal stacked on the scale together it was just over 1800 grams.

Lastly, I forgot to mention it flies just as badly without the light circuit attached to the receiver and the 2S removed. That tells me the light circuit is symptom and not cause since it is totally out of the picture that way. Can't see it flickering if it is not attached, of course, but the flight is just as horrible on 10" regardless.

Thanks!
- Aaron

halfpress

So a quick update on this issue. I got a 5000 mAh battery with 65+C rating and everything tested fine today, more or less. I also balanced the props - hubs and all - last night before today's first attempt to use 10" props again. After it flew so much better this way, I tried my 30C batteries again and had equally good performance. I think we can rule out the C-rating on the batteries (which is good since it will save me money and possibly weight).

ALSO, I rebuilt my lighting/servo circuit last night around a DE SportBEC, removing the DE AnyVolt Micro since it wasn't going to be up to snuff for handling my two digital gimbal servos. Possibly that changed something, too. Normally, I'd have tested each step of the way to narrow this down, but I had the downtime last night to just get the circuit rebuilt and the props balanced... so I can't separate the two as possible causes at this point. No more flickering lights, not more super jumpy behavior.

This is effectively the first time I've flown with 10" props and it's handling pretty closely to the 8" ones, all in all. I do notice that slight breezes tend to put up a bit of a wobble than don't I recall seeing so much on 8" props... does that sound correct or do I need to start tweaking the gains? I had gains tied to X1 for a bit and could definitely introduce wobble as I adjusted the basic Pitch/Yaw/Roll with the knob on my controller - but ultimately just ended up back on the original 170 / 170 / 150 settings I had for the 8" props on basic mode. Attitude is still 170 / 170 and vertical is 140.

So, in summary, things have improved a lot. Now I'll get back to tweaking things more, adjusting balance and factoring in my landing legs and gimbal.

Dewster

I had another suggestion from someone a bit ago that maybe my C ratings of my batteries are too low: 20 - 30. That could be causing intermittent voltage drops that freak out things right to the receiver level. Seem plausible? I will need to order a higher C battery to test this, though.

I certainly will balance the props no matter what. The two different sets/brands perform the same, so they would both need to be similarly horribly balances out of the box, though. Also, my takeoff weight is a stock F550 + 3S 3300 battery with or without the 2S 2200. I think that makes it around 1200 grams or so? I remember with all the batteries, gopro and gimbal stacked on the scale together it was just over 1800 grams.

Lastly, I forgot to mention it flies just as badly without the light circuit attached to the receiver and the 2S removed. That tells me the light circuit is symptom and not cause since it is totally out of the picture that way. Can't see it flickering if it is not attached, of course, but the flight is just as horrible on 10" regardless.

Thanks!
- Aaron

I use Photoshipone's power distribution board with a capacitor. It's supposed to provide a nice even flow of power. This may help if you get power drops from your lipos.

halfpress

Well, one update to my update: It turns out I actually AM still getting flickers of the lights on my other circuit even though the system is flying decently with the now balanced props. Things aren't erratic anymore, but I definitely saw the lights flickering. I don't know, again, if we're looking at power drops or something else. I think I only noticed it when using my 30C batteries again, though, so I'll pay very close attention tomorrow using my 65C+ battery.

Strangeness...
- Aaron

Malinois1

": When I switch to 10" props (stock and not yet balanced), flight is VERY erratic and hard to control including very strange jumps in throttle/altitude seemingly on its own. With each test, I'm in a big hurry to get it back on the ground quickly before something worse happens. Go back to 8": perfect. This is true with the DJI props and a new set of GemFan 10" props (their kind of middle of the line ones).

The STRANGE part: It almost feels like maybe something is messing with my reception, but only when using the 10" props. If not my reception, then certainly something electrical and I'll explain why... but bear with me:"

I'm having similar issues however not with props.... Everytime I connect my FPV gear (EZ VTX and EZOSD). I get this issue on my quad. When taking off it I have to reach up to 70%. Then it will not hover unless I keep the throttle up. Next it will not hold GPS even though GPS lock is on. When I take all FPV gear off it works fine.

OneStopRC

Dirty Little Hucker
Maybe your gains are too high? your gains will differ from prop sizes, and for a 3S battery, you should really be on the 10" props. What are your gain settings, all of them.

halfpress

I'm on 10" props with 3S. You can read my other post here about the prop balancing, actually: Gem Fan 10" Prop Balancing Insanity

I've just flown with the glue-gobbed "balanced" Gem Fans as of a few minutes ago. A tad noisy, but seemingly stable. Going to keep testing them gently over the next little while. My big bottleneck now is battery changing, dangit... and I'm blown away at what large enough charger/power supply combos cost to parallel charge a nice array of large batteries. <sigh> Could build another quad for less than that, which would mean MORE need for more batteries to charge. :)

I'm going to start adjusting the gains now that I know the props are, so far as I can tell, working.

- Aaron

Last edited by a moderator: