Very light jitter effect on Gopro Gimbal/Martinez

Skywalker

Hello, I have one of those el'cheapo gopro gimbals from goodluck buy, with a martinez board. I have spent numerous hours tuning, balancing etc. I have balanced props, and an extremely stable F550/DJI Naza setup. I am having a very annoying slight jitter problem when I fly. One thing to mention is the jitter only happens when it is flying under its own power. If I just turn on the gopro and carry it around it is perfect. Has anyone had any interference issues possible caused by motors? Any fixes? Or possible my PID settings are off. Does anyone have some good PID settings I can compare mine to? The mount is toward the front of the Hex and I was thinking possible prop wash, but I had it mounted directly in the center with the same results. Any ideas would be appreciated.

jes1111

What isolation do you have between the fuselage and the gimbal? It sounds to me like you have a resonance issue - try making the isolation either stiffer (add isolators) or less stiff (remove isolators) and see if the jitter changes.

Skywalker

Ok, so my gimbal has 4 holes and 4 dampeners, so I can't add any. I shoved some high density foam inside the dampeners, and did a test. It really seemed to make a difference, although it was super windy. The dampeners I have are black. Any suggestion on where to get some stiffer ones? Are they a different color?

jes1111

I don't think there's any established standard for those little dampers (or science, for that matter!) - you could increase their stiffness by squirting some silicone (bathroom sealant) inside them - but that would be irreversible if it didn't work. Maybe some other people here have experience with how to "tune" these little things?

Skywalker

Great idea jes1111!
I tried testing again last evening. I tried zipping a zip tie around each rubber grommet to stiffen it up. The results were about the same. I uploaded a video showing my issue. If you fast forward to about 20sec or so you can really see the shake on the horizon. I will try stuffing them with ear plugs and see if it makes a difference. I also tried to stiffen up my PWM on the roll axis. it looks to me like the wobble is from the roll axis???

Here is my setup. It seems to me to be pretty basic stuff. The gimbal is screwed and tie strapped to the landing gear. It is very rigid. The gimbal is powered by its own dedicated 3s 800mah battery. Let me know if anyone sees anything that looks funky.(Yes the second pic is sideways, lol)

View attachment 17640View attachment 17641

Attachments

• mount2.jpg
    mount2.jpg
    134.3 KB · Views: 303
  • mount1.jpg
    mount1.jpg
    119.6 KB · Views: 372
  • mount2.jpg
    mount2.jpg
    134.1 KB · Views: 328
Last edited by a moderator:

jes1111

Have you tried flying with the gimbal switched off but locked into position (maybe tape, zip ties, whatever)? This might show whether the jitter is coming from the controller/motors or is a physical issue of vibration passing through or resonance in the mechanism.

Skywalker

That is a good idea. I will give it a shot. I previously had the gopro mounted on the middle of the frame, with a vibration dampener. It was very smooth, vibration free and no jello. This morning I tried again with no modifications to the rubber dampeners, and I changed some of the settings. That test i actually got some of the "jello" effect, so at least I am able to change the results. I am going to try your earplug hack, and see what happens. I am leaning to the hardware/mounting/dampening side of things.

gtranquilla

RadioActive
Move away from the PID loop control tuning and focus a bit more attention of the Martinez deadband adjustment, sometimes referred to as the available motor torque adjustment within the configuration software.... small ripples can be the result of too much available control torque getting to the motors........ there has to be a little bit of deadband allowance to get the camera to settle down.

Hello, I have one of those el'cheapo gopro gimbals from goodluck buy, with a martinez board. I have spent numerous hours tuning, balancing etc. I have balanced props, and an extremely stable F550/DJI Naza setup. I am having a very annoying slight jitter problem when I fly. One thing to mention is the jitter only happens when it is flying under its own power. If I just turn on the gopro and carry it around it is perfect. Has anyone had any interference issues possible caused by motors? Any fixes? Or possible my PID settings are off. Does anyone have some good PID settings I can compare mine to? The mount is toward the front of the Hex and I was thinking possible prop wash, but I had it mounted directly in the center with the same results. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Skywalker

Thank you for the input. Are the parameters you are referring to the PWM (max%) adjustment? I have been able to get a lot of the shakes out, but still have some. I have seen some extremely stable gopro gimbal video's. That is what I am trying for. Here is one of my latest test flights. Any additional suggestions are greatly appreciated.

https://vimeo.com/92392822

Yes... that is what Martinez calls it in their software program. If set to low, your camera will fall away from the intended subject material, i.e., lose direction control.
If set to high, your camera starts hunting back and forth quickly..... which also means that the deadband is too tight. Once this parameter is optimized.... move on to the PID loop control again if necessary.

Your video seems appropriate for the gimbal control system.... but you might still be getting a litlle bit of MR vibration working its way in to your camera affecting the rolling shutter etc.

kohit7

Do you still have the other dampeners that came with the gimbal? I suggest trying the different dampeners to see what kind of results that gives you