VERY dissapointed in dominator V3's

cootertwo

Hi all, well, I think I've about bought, and tried almost all the available FPV goggles, screens, headsets. And I'm back to my SkyZone goggles, as the best view, performance. I have HeadPlay, VueXL, Quantum headsets, and none of the lens will give me the view I have in my SkyZone's. I have FatShark Attitudes, and just sprung $$$ for some new Dominator V3's. So sad. I do have a couple of 16X9 cameras on order, in hopes that the Dom V3's "might" work out, but even if they do, with the new cameras, I guess I'd have to change out all my cameras, to use them. Stretched image, blurry, -2,-4,or-6 lens just make it worse. I do kinda like the DVR thing, but I already have a recorder, so ........ If I wasn't such a hermit, and hated dealing with the public, I'd have one heck of a garage sale! Anybody else have the V3's and comments ????

cootertwo

OK, "UPDATE" here's the real deal! Just got a couple of the "new" Fat Shark 16X9 (960 TVL) cameras, model FSV1207, and did a quick test, recorded by my "new" Fat Shark Dominator V3 goggles. Of course the video is much better than the recording, as we all know, and is loaded onto Photo Bucket, but you can see why I was so disapointed in the new goggles, using the old 600TVL Fat Shark camera. I think I might order a couple more of these new cameras. They also seem to handle light better. I got my cameras from "Hobby Wireless LLC"
http://vid205.photobucket.com/albums/bb205/cootertwo/Flight/FSV1207_zpsulkuxmey.mp4
http://vid205.photobucket.com/albums/bb205/cootertwo/Flight/600TVL_zps8gjpdd0e.mp4

Is that your isolated cabin in the Montana wilderness where you're writing your manifesto?
LOL just kidding Cooter. Nice man cave. Looks similar to my garage only I have more cobwebs.

cootertwo

Ha! I knew someone would make a comment. Long story short, 67 in Sept, retired Nam vet, on disability, been married, and divorced 3 times! Last divorce in 1992. I was never allowed to have so many toys, too busy buying carpet, drapes, furniture, etc. etc. NOW, I own my 14X70 mobile home on an acre, barn out back, full of nitro planks and copters, 4 motorcycles, a Jeep, a Mustang, enough radio control stuff to open a hobby shop. 20 flying quads/hex's hanging from the ceiling, another 20 or so still in the boxes. All my furniture came from the side of the road! Amazing what some people toss out. Oh, and the maid hasn't shown up since 1992, when I paid a Gal $80 to run around inside the place and knock down the cob webs and mold, before I moved in! Place was a repo that had been empty for a few years. I'm not a woman hater, just don't need no more flapping gums around me. Like a Guy said, you don't pay a prostitute for the sex, you pay them to leave when you're done! And I guess I'm a hoarder too, seems I drag more stuff in, than out. I keep 2 critters (shelter dogs) at all times, When I was working 5 days a week, 10 hours a day, I used to tell people this was the dogs house, and they just let me stay here nights and weekends! Ha! Kinda like when I was married, I stayed in the dog house!:):):):):):)

cootertwo

Yes Bart, that was from the built in DVR on the Dominator V3. Leaves a bit to be desired. Spent awhile installing the new camera on one of my rigs, had to go from 12 volt camera I had installed, to 5 volt for the Fat Shark camera. New 960 TVL camera is a big improvement for the Dominator V3's, but just brings them up to about equal with my original SkyZones. So I still wish I'd never bought the V3's. Oh well, live and learn. Like my Daddy always said, "If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough!"

Ha! I knew someone would make a comment. Long story short, 67 in Sept, retired Nam vet, on disability, been married, and divorced 3 times! Last divorce in 1992. I was never allowed to have so many toys, too busy buying carpet, drapes, furniture, etc. etc. NOW, I own my 14X70 mobile home on an acre, barn out back, full of nitro planks and copters, 4 motorcycles, a Jeep, a Mustang, enough radio control stuff to open a hobby shop. 20 flying quads/hex's hanging from the ceiling, another 20 or so still in the boxes. All my furniture came from the side of the road! Amazing what some people toss out. Oh, and the maid hasn't shown up since 1992, when I paid a Gal $80 to run around inside the place and knock down the cob webs and mold, before I moved in! Place was a repo that had been empty for a few years. I'm not a woman hater, just don't need no more flapping gums around me. Like a Guy said, you don't pay a prostitute for the sex, you pay them to leave when you're done! And I guess I'm a hoarder too, seems I drag more stuff in, than out. I keep 2 critters (shelter dogs) at all times, When I was working 5 days a week, 10 hours a day, I used to tell people this was the dogs house, and they just let me stay here nights and weekends! Ha! Kinda like when I was married, I stayed in the dog house!:):):):):):)

Well a man needs something to keep him busy.

cootertwo

An update, and apology. The light handling of the new FSV1207 cameras, leaves a bit to be desired, CMOS and all that there stuff. And I still wasn't real happy with the DomV3's either. sooooooo,
OK Folks, I'm ashamed, and embarrassed. A little while ago, I thought I'd give my new Dom V3's another shot, and try a different band/channel. I have all my stuff set to 5800 freq. I read somewhere that 5.8 equipment was tuned for 5800, and as you varied from that, you were sort of going out of tune, so to speak. Hummm, so I switched my VTX (Black Mamba) from "F" to "B". Fired up the Dom's and punched through the "channels" and found a WOW spot. As good, or better than my SkyZones. After coming inside, I realized I had not changed the "band" on my Dom's, just the "channel", and they were still working much better than before. I will get them tuned properly tomorrow. Soooo, I must be dealing with the compatibility thing, which I do not understand, but will try to do research on, and maybe get into my feeble old head. My apology to Fat Shark for being so hard on their Dominator V3's
redface.gif
redface.gif
redface.gif
redface.gif
redface.gif
redface.gif
redface.gif
redface.gif
redface.gif

PS, the maid still hasn't shown up! Ha!

Thanks for the followup. For any given frequency there is a corresponding antenna length that matches it perfectly. That length is more critical to transmitting then receiving. 5.8 ghz Radio transmitters for FPV only use one antenna but transmit on up to 40 channels. The range of frequencies is close enough together that that one antenna will work well enough for all of them but its true that there is one frequency that is a perfect match for its length. The higher the frequency the shorter the antenna so a small error in length could possibly mean a big mismatch. Admittedly the Chinese have gotten better at quality control over the years but we are still dealing with stuff that can be way off spec sometimes. If you changed your antenna its possible that another channel could be the sweet spot just because of small differences in antennas.