Vacation in the States

Denzil

I am taking a vacation in the States next year and visiting Vegas and Monument Valley. Can someone please advise if I can fly my Quad in the following areas. The areas I am looking at are Death Valley, Grand Canyon, Red Rock Canyon etc etc. Obviously no flying over populated areas. Or can someone give me guidance as to where I can find your flying regulations for this type of craft. Thanks Denzil

AEA737

I am taking a vacation in the States next year and visiting Vegas and Monument Valley. Can someone please advise if I can fly my Quad in the following areas. The areas I am looking at are Death Valley, Grand Canyon, Red Rock Canyon etc etc. Obviously no flying over populated areas. Or can someone give me guidance as to where I can find your flying regulations for this type of craft. Thanks Denzil

I think National Parks have banned Multirotors, AKA Drones:upset:

Denzil

That is sad news but I suppose understandable. I appreciate you getting back to me. I do hope you are wrong. Is it possible for you to guide me to regs that govern our hobby in USA. Thanks again Denzil

Av8Chuck

Nope your not that lucky, drones are prohibited in all national parks in the US. So I wouldn't plan the trip around the idea of just shooting aerial, however, all of the places you mentioned are vast areas, if you use common sense, don't bring out your quad in the presence of other people and start setting it up, especially park rangers thinking that if your nice and explain how safe you are etc - they don't care, and in the Grand Canyon for example don't pull it out in the parking lot and walk to the rim expecting to hike off into more remote areas to launch from and stay away from the touristy areas. Don't hover above the glass lookout platform trying to get shots of your girlfriend. Also, don't pull it out when you first arrive to a location, take your time and watch the flow of people in and out of an area, the flow of people will change depending on tourists busses.

If your shooting aerial at the Grand Canyon don't fly out beyond the rim, if you crash for any reason you need to make sure its in an area that you can safely retrieve it. If your out beyond the rim and crash on the valley floor you won't be able to get to it so at the very least you'll be littering, so not only will you not get your quad back but the fine will probably be more than your quad was worth.

Common sense goes a long way, stay away from people and if your approached by a Ranger be very pleasant and don't speak English.. Plead ignorance.

dazzab

I think the management of each park actually has the authority to make policy in this area. I wouldn't be surprised at all that if you contacted them beforehand and asked for permission that you might find them more cooperative than if you tried to fake ignorance later. I could be wrong but it would be interesting to try and let us know. I visit California from time to time so eventually I'm going to find myself in the same situation so I'd love to know if they are truly approachable or not.