Mikrokopter v0.88 emergency-throttle settings

I've been using .88 firmware since its release with very good results on a CS8 w/ gimbal that weighs about 12.5 pounds or just under 6kg. Nice flight behavior, good GPS and altitude hold. I've gotten comfortable with it and the other day I decided to finally start testing some of the fail safe functions. Set a channel to simulate lost RF link, set the emergency-gas up as a percentage via the "Use vario control for failsave altitude" checkbox and set a fairly high percentage of 90 to try out. When activated the machine would fly right home and descend but damn was the descent quick. Even raising the % value to 95 or 98 the thing still drops pretty quick to the ground. I chickened out each time and switched out of failsave at about 3'. Looking at Holger's demo video the little quad he uses descends pretty quickly too so maybe that's the way it is. I thought the descent would be slower. Curious to know if anyone else flying heavier rigs has experimented with this as well?

RBlax

Bump, I'm also interested!! I personally haven't tried yet as I'm just starting to update my firmware to .88

Yeah, it's way too fast even at 99. It will require a change to the firmware to address this. I'm going to suggest to Holger that they revise this function by removing the emergency gas/throttle values altogether and make it universal: when the machine is back to the takeoff position it descends from the preset CH altitude at ~2m/sec until an altitude of 4m at which point it slows to 0.5m/sec until ground contact.

nick

krleas

FPV Freak
But u know last 4m are sometimes at 0m sometimes 10m, and sometimes even -2m. And with this big machines fast descending is scary.

crcr

somewhere I read about someone setting it to around 84%, Are you sure upping the percentage decreases desent rate? I'm about to set this up soon so am also keen to find out but was thinking maybe you lower the percentage to slow it down? I could be completely wrong.

I definitely need to figure out how to reduce the descent rate in failsafe mode as well!

This super fast descent rate is not just scary, it's dangerous! On our last flight, the radio signal was cut off behind a church tower, and our Oktokopter XL dropped out of the sky. We had two GoPro cameras running. Examining the footage, the Oktokopter wobbled and then initiated a very quick descent. Half-way down, it violently hit a tree, flipped upside down, and crashed on its head. Thankfully, the hood acted as a crumple zone when it shattered on impact, and the electronics survived. However, three booms broke and a fourth one was bent heavily. And of course, all eight props broke apart. :upset:

Material damage was thankfully less than $100. However, it's been a total pain to take apart the frame and basically rebuild it from scratch. I'm still working on it...

Has anybody been in touch with Holger about this completely insane default failsafe? If not, I will need to call and have a serious talk with him. I mean, wouldn't it make more sense for the Kopter to self-land slowly and carefully? In our case, the Kopter even had waypoints programmed that would have brought it back into radio range within a few seconds -- IF ONLY it had continued on its waypoint flight, instead of foolishly aborting everything and dropping out of the sky like a rock. :dejection:

Last edited by a moderator:

ghaynes

I think this was answered elsewhere but the folks at quadrocopter.us (Jeff) tested this. While it starts out insanely fast between 10 and 20 meters it slows down. Holger posted something similar. The trouble is having the nerves of steel to allow your investment to truly enter the experimental zone all the way to a landing. :) And those darn trees sure can spoil a good test of the emergency system. EC how did you have the emergency stuff setup? The new .88 software after signal loss (based on the altitude you have set) climb/descend to that altitude, come home and then enter emergency gas after the period set. So if the altitude is set less than your flight altitude (church steeple level) then it would descend first, in this case right into the tree. Great to hear that the loss was only $100.

Gary

Thanks for your follow-up, Gary.

I think this was answered elsewhere but the folks at quadrocopter.us (Jeff) tested this. While it starts out insanely fast between 10 and 20 meters it slows down. Holger posted something similar. The trouble is having the nerves of steel to allow your investment to truly enter the experimental zone all the way to a landing. :)

It still makes no sense to me that the Kopter would drop like a rock at all, by default! This is a German high tech device, not some cheap Chinese POS. Why wouldn't it just proceed slowly from signal-loss all the way to the ground? :dejection:

And those darn trees sure can spoil a good test of the emergency system. EC how did you have the emergency stuff setup? The new .88 software after signal loss (based on the altitude you have set) climb/descend to that altitude, come home and then enter emergency gas after the period set. So if the altitude is set less than your flight altitude (church steeple level) then it would descend first, in this case right into the tree.

To be honest, I don't think we've touched any of the emergency/failsafe settings. I think the CH altitude was set to 50m, and the signal loss occurred around 90-100m. So I guess that's why it came down first. What's so terribly frustrating is that if the Kopter had continued on its waypoint flight, it would soon have emerged from the radio-shadow of the tower. In fact, it was set to come back to a final waypoint 10m in front of me, at 5m altitude, facing away, so that I could slowly back it in for a manual landing, like we always do. And the LiPo had another 15 minutes of juice left in it. :(

Now that I've started researching the problem, we should have done some testing of the failsafe functions with both the receiver and the MK boards. Of course, hindsight is 20/20. It just never crossed our minds that a quick pass behind a tower would block our fancy Graupner MX-20's 2.4GHz signal, and even less that the MK controls would have such a crazy default setting.

I've been focusing on the reconstruction of the Oktokopter for the past two weeks. Hopefully, my (re-) soldering and all of the electronics will check out fine tomorrow, and I will be able to focus on firmware updates and studying all of the settings in MKTools, esp. emergency settings, in much more detail.

We were running .86 firmware at the time of the crash. Because I had read mixed reviews of the .88 firmware at the time of our build, we decided not to upgrade to the latest and greatest. At this point, it looks like any issues have been sorted out. So I am treating this re-build as a new build from scratch, and will make it a point to update firmware on all the MK boards as well as the TX and RX to the latest versions. And we will obviously calibrate and configure everything again from scratch.

Great to hear that the loss was only $100.

That is indeed the saving grace of this whole ordeal, which was a forceful reminder to RTFM (i.e. the whole damn Wiki, and the English- and German-language boards)! :nevreness:

Given the complexity of the MK systems and the flying we are doing, a serious crash was going to happen eventually. Even though everybody's nerves were shot, and I am still incredulous at MK's default emergency settings, no people or animals were harmed in the process, and no ambulances or fire trucks had to get involved. Hopefully, the next time I work on the Kopter's hardware it will be an upgrade, rather than a re-build. :)

Roland

Gary, I don't think I saw those tests from Jeff and Holger. Do you happen to have any links? I let the thing get to 3' before I bailed- those were nerves of steel! :D If nothing else Holger needs to slow the descent rate at a slightly higher altitude.

Sanderx

The tests from Jeff at Quadrocopter are at their site under support/tips and tricks. It seems though that is you use the vario control for failsafe that setting the descent at 80% makes the kopter come down pretty fast. Mine is set at 98%.