Upgrade to Y6

Jessestr

Hi

I'm doubting about getting the upgrade to a Y6. I'm currently flying a TBS Discovery with MT2216 900KV from TBS for FPV use. But I miss the AV factor in it. I really like it but I want to do some more steady shots with a movable tilt for AV.

I still got my heavy lift motors (MT2814 710KV Tiger Motor) (got 4). Which can easily carry 1.5kg for a motor on 11"/12" with a 4S setup. Now I've heard all the stories about motor failures and such. So it might be a good idea to get the Y6 for the redundancy. I'm just a hobby person who will use the Sony AS10 as camera (for now). Might get a Nex5 in the future if everything goes well.

Now the actual question.. Would the Y6 be a good upgrade. Would be about $150 to upgrade (+2 motor and +2 esc).

Thanks in advance

Jesse

jcmonty

Do you have a frame for y6? Y6 will also give you more payload capacity if you so choose. I run a y6 and love it. Very smooth for video work, but a lot of that comes from teh HF Pro's inherent butter smooth flight qualities.

As for redundancy, a Y6 is supposed to have that advantage, though I haven't tested that. Again a lot of it will come down to your FC and flight skills in case of a motor out.

Jessestr

Thanks.

I getting a custom build frame.. I can choose whatever I want. I've ran a Y6 before but with inefficient motors and a bad fc (multiwii) and it felt weird to fly. Probably the motor since one of them was damaged (only noticed after a while).. It wouldn't spin faster than +- 3000 rpm, even everything was calibrated well.

If I get the Y6 I'll surely test the redundancy with removing props and learn how to fly with it. Safety is important for me as I don't want to damage anything .. even I only fly over non populated areas.

Hope it will work out great, it's a bit of a high cost to upgrade, but it can save me a big cost when losing a motor..

hjls3

Not sure how you could not try a Y6 if you can do it for 150$. It cost me that much to try different props, you get to try out a whole new platform. Id go for it! Keep us in the loop. I would be curious to know your findings.

Jessestr

Just let the designer know that I'll get the Y6. Will update you people on the progress.

Why I shouldn't do it? I'm a student, no income. Have to work in the weekends and vacations. I have what I want but I miss the AV .. So new frame and some extra motors will get me into AV.. and hopefully I won't change my gear again.. I keep on changing because it's always not the thing I want..

Here's what I have now and my heavy lift motors.. should get two more.

View attachment 7375View attachment 7376

Attachments

• IMG_9037.jpg
    IMG_9037.jpg
    141.2 KB · Views: 307
  • IMG_3148.jpg
    IMG_3148.jpg
    140 KB · Views: 283