University video unit ready to make the jump to an aerial platform!

SWriverstone

Hi All:

I lead a large media production unit for a major university. I've been following the development of RC drones closely for the past 3 years. Three years ago, I seriously considered buying a drone system for our university's video unit, but decided against it as the technology (back then) was still too sketchy for comfort (and at the time, my understanding was that flying one was like balancing a plate on a stick).

Flash forward to 2014, and I'm convinced that with the DJI Phantom 2 (and similar platforms) the technology has advanced light years. I'm ready to take the plunge, and have a couple basic questions for others here already doing this.

First, my impression is that with the addition of accelerometers/gyros/GPS, current platforms (like the DJI Phantom 2) are far easier to fly than the earliest RC drones---is that correct? I have years of experience flying RC gliders (mostly slope soaring gliders) so am adept at making VERY tiny movements with the stick. I'm also a hang glider pilot, so I'm already extremely dialed into wind and weather, as well as things like ground effect, thermals, rotors, etc.

(As an aside, I became proficient with older FM transmitters that did not have the ability to program exponential control curves and the like allowing full-throw of the stick---when I fly my gliders, you wouldn't even see my thumb move on the stick at all---that's how "hair trigger" the stick is!)

So my assumption is that I'd have no trouble flying one of the latest generations of drones (like the Phantom 2). But of course I don't know this for certain yet! :)

---
My other question is...given a good pilot, is the Phantom's safety record pretty solid? Meaning have they been known to crash a lot? (I'm not talking about pilot error, but in-flight failure of mechanical systems.)

Given the huge number (and growing) of Phantom 2 vids on YouTube...and given that outdoor enthusiasts are now taking them on rock climbing and whitewater paddling trips, my assumption is that the platform itself (outside the pilot) is extremely safe and reliable when flown in calm conditions.

All of this is part of me just doing due diligence before buying a system and flying it around a university campus. Could I hire an experienced drone operator? Of course---but I want to do it myself---it's more fun! :) (And again, as an experienced RC pilot I have no illusions about the difficulty and potential hazards of remotely controlling anything in the air.)

Thanks!
Scott

user_online.gif