Ugh - 17inch monitor cuts out with and w\o VGA Adapter

iflynavy

Hello All.

Per recommendations on this forum I purchased a 17 inch TVIEW Monitor that suppose to be pretty good for FPV flying.

I have two FPV Setups I have tried flying:

Original: DJI AVL58 5.8 GHZ (preferred). This one is horrible on the ground when connected to the monitor with and without the RCA-VGA Adapter. Airborne get about 50 yards and it cuts out. It is marginally better with the VGA connector.

Spare: Hawkeye OSD System with 1.2Ghz 800mw tx. This one is rock solid and clear on the ground, may cut in an out up to 100m, after 100m crap and cuts out. Again both RCA\VGA Adapter.

Both work fine on an 7" FoxTech Screen. Yes I do see the noise in the video from time to time but rarely cuts out (Maybe at 600-700m with obstruction or turning). I have a hell of a time seeing the 7" screen and truly need a bigger screen. Everyone says get goggles, but the problem there is I fly with a Ground Station and autopilot. Thus I can't see the Ground Station Software if I have goggles on.

Any ideas on if it's a wiring\power issue\video quality issue or a better monitor even?

Thanks

gadgetkeith

likes gadgets
hi Chris

tried to send you a message but says you need to clear out some space

back from hols great fun

keith

iflynavy

Okay thought I'd post my final setup.

IN this case I was pissed off and decided to go to walmart. I had read things about a specific Vizio monitor that they don't make any more so I bought the 22" Vizio (E221VA) LED monitor at Walmart. Drove to the nearest Forest preserve, plugged it into an inverted and took it for a quick flight to test. Worked like a champ. Not its not without it's blue screens, but in fairness it only blue screened or did no signal at the same point my 7" from FoxTech did. So In my personal opinion if the known, well used, well reviewed 7" blue screens at the same time the Visio does they are on the same page ;) It was very quick to come back, just as quick as the 7".

Only downside to the TV, if you call it that is it's 120VAC, vice a nice easy 12v. In my case, I happen to have a 4S Lipo, 12000mAh plugged into the Immersive RC power brick, so all I had to do was run a cable from there to a small $25 400W inverter from walmart to power it.

Attached are two pictures, one of the setup, the other is of the video (Sorry it was dark on a cell phone camera). The one showing the image was from my 5.8GHz DJI AVL58 at 300M distance 50m elevation without line of site. The blur in the camera is me ;) Point being is it works ;)

View attachment 13479View attachment 13480

Attachments

• 2013-08-31 19.47.13.jpg
    2013-08-31 19.47.13.jpg
    134.9 KB · Views: 246
  • 2013-08-31 19.52.41.jpg
    2013-08-31 19.52.41.jpg
    150 KB · Views: 142

iflynavy

Thought I'd also post a link to a short video showing the picture quality a bit better ;)

Last edited by a moderator: