Zero UAV UAV Zero Steadi470

socratic

Hi all, Got a question with the Steadi, I am running an Futaba 8fg with Sbus and I had the 2 servos on the 2 Volume knobs on the transmitter and everything seem to be fine but when I fired up the Android and I dont know whether this is linked but control of the servos moved to the (MODE 1) Rudder and Elevator stick on the TX, has this happened to anyone if so how do you fix it?? Rob if you read this I got the Cheapy Android to work on the Lastest version of the GCS but its very slow it took a couple of minutes to load a pre saved location I think I will go for the Nexus as recommended at least its running a Quad Core CPU which should help. John.

Hi Johnno - Is your transmitter still showing the correct assignment to "LD" "RD" ? If it is you mgiht want to try reloading the FW again. I have run into an issue where only the tilt knob works even though they are both assigned properly (they both used to work). I plan on reloading the FW again as that has fixed some of my issues in the past. I am using the same transmitter so we should be getting similar results. I am concerned about some bugs in this software - also be sure you are loading the correct Steadi470 firmware and not the YS-X6 stand alone FW. Jim

johnno

Hi Johnno - Is your transmitter still showing the correct assignment to "LD" "RD" ? If it is you mgiht want to try reloading the FW again. I have run into an issue where only the tilt knob works even though they are both assigned properly (they both used to work). I plan on reloading the FW again as that has fixed some of my issues in the past. I am using the same transmitter so we should be getting similar results. I am concerned about some bugs in this software - also be sure you are loading the correct Steadi470 firmware and not the YS-X6 stand alone FW. Jim

Hi Jim, Hope you had a good Xmas and have a Rewarding New Year flying a Steadi470, my issue does'nt make sense because what wasnt working yesterday is working today, I hate these type of problems, I am pretty sure its got something to do with the Tablet, anyway how have you been going with your Device??......John.

socratic

Hi Jim, Hope you had a good Xmas and have a Rewarding New Year flying a Steadi470, my issue does'nt make sense because what wasnt working yesterday is working today, I hate these type of problems, I am pretty sure its got something to do with the Tablet, anyway how have you been going with your Device??......John.

Just recently got back in town after being away for a few weeks. Haven't had a chance to go back out and fly yet. Actually, I haven't been flying the steadi470 since I did the hover check. If the weather permits, I should have time next week to check it out more thoroughly. I got kind of burned out with all the trial end error stuff and went back to flying my FPV Naza for a while. It just works! Hopefully, I will have enough confidence after a bit more testing to actually mount a camera on the Steadi and see if it was worth all the aggravation!!!

johnno

Just recently got back in town after being away for a few weeks. Haven't had a chance to go back out and fly yet. Actually, I haven't been flying the steadi470 since I did the hover check. If the weather permits, I should have time next week to check it out more thoroughly. I got kind of burned out with all the trial end error stuff and went back to flying my FPV Naza for a while. It just works! Hopefully, I will have enough confidence after a bit more testing to actually mount a camera on the Steadi and see if it was worth all the aggravation!!!

Hi Jim, welcome back I am going through this setup procedure I haven't got the camera yet all the places that had it cheap are out of stock so will have to wait but I have put a battery in place of the camera and doing setups with that, I am not happy with my android it was a cheaply and it very slow when communicating taking many minutes to load a map that has been per saved so I will have to change that.
this part of the hobby is like owning a boat your constantly forking out money to it.......John.

PhilippeN

Hi, I would like to say thank you to all of you posting on the forum, we found some interesting informations and our Steadi 470 is flying great from the first flight.
It is not fine tuned at all, but I thought it could be interesting to see what can be done out of the box.

Next step will be to try the waypoints, but for a start we are amazed by the performances.

Thanks again !

Philippe

Last edited by a moderator:

johnno

Hi, I would like to say thank you to all of you posting on the forum, we found some interesting informations and our Steadi 470 is flying great from the first flight.
It is not fine tuned at all, but I thought it could be interesting to see what can be done out of the box.

Next step will be to try the waypoints, but for a start we are amazed by the performances.

Thanks again !

Philippe

Hi Philippe , that's amazing footage when did you purchase the machine and you say you have not done a thing straight out of the box, if I can get mine that good I will be happy what is your level of expertise with Multi,s........John

johnno

Hi Rob if your around I bought the Nexus Tablet what a Difference things just appear quickly, I had full connection with Map around 10 sec, thanks for the recommendation. John

PhilippeN

Hello John, we got the machine just before Xmas, it took some time to find the videos and read the forums to understand how to assemble the frame itself. Then we had to modify a little the upper tube to allow the ring to pinch it enough in order to adjust the battery height properly.
For the Wifi I asked a friend working with me who like setting PC things so it was quicker than if I tried myself. Didier the tall guy with the tablet on the pictures mounted the frame and me I was the one reading, searching and taking care of the Futaba radio. So it was a team work.

The only problem we had was the calibration of the compass, we had to do it many times since I did not read properly I guess and the front was in the sky position and not ground position. So it was not working until I read properly.....

Concerning your question, my level of expertise .... I don't believe it is very big.... I have a lot of knowledge of RC cars, I am the one who founded www.teamorion.com but multicopter is very new to me. I started with the nVision Bumblebee and since it was complicated for normal people to make a simple multicoper working properly we did a video for them http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2e8-qj32gZs. Then we started selling Xaircraft products and tried all the different models to be able to teach our customers in case of questions. Now we are also selling Zero UAV and are at the learning process as well, so as you can see not a lot of expertise, just tried some multicopters and jump now in the real world.

What is sure we have followed the different advices from the videos we found and I was reading this forum in full to see if something could help.
The frame and electronic are mounted as clean as possible. The calibration has been made following the instal guide of the tablet.
I made not any parameter modification (since I don't know yet what is doing what). The first attempt to fly was indoor to see if it goes in the air and is controllable. So I applied some throttle, it went up was super stable, reacted well when I tried to go forward, backward etc.
So we went out of the building, checked the satellite on the tablet was OK turn on the camera and went for a first 7 min flight to get used to the reactions. In fact it is so smooth that it is the easiest multicopter we tried. The little video I did is made from this first flight.
I will try to fly again soon if we have no rain.
Have a nice holidays

Philippe

PhilippeN

Hi Philippe , that's amazing footage when did you purchase the machine and you say you have not done a thing straight out of the box, if I can get mine that good I will be happy what is your level of expertise with Multi,s........John

Hi John, what is not working on yours ?

johnno

Hello John, we got the machine just before Xmas, it took some time to find the videos and read the forums to understand how to assemble the frame itself. Then we had to modify a little the upper tube to allow the ring to pinch it enough in order to adjust the battery height properly.
For the Wifi I asked a friend working with me who like setting PC things so it was quicker than if I tried myself. Didier the tall guy with the tablet on the pictures mounted the frame and me I was the one reading, searching and taking care of the Futaba radio. So it was a team work.

The only problem we had was the calibration of the compass, we had to do it many times since I did not read properly I guess and the front was in the sky position and not ground position. So it was not working until I read properly.....

Concerning your question, my level of expertise .... I don't believe it is very big.... I have a lot of knowledge of RC cars, I am the one who founded www.teamorion.com but multicopter is very new to me. I started with the nVision Bumblebee and since it was complicated for normal people to make a simple multicoper working properly we did a video for them http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2e8-qj32gZs. Then we started selling Xaircraft products and tried all the different models to be able to teach our customers in case of questions. Now we are also selling Zero UAV and are at the learning process as well, so as you can see not a lot of expertise, just tried some multicopters and jump now in the real world.

What is sure we have followed the different advices from the videos we found and I was reading this forum in full to see if something could help.
The frame and electronic are mounted as clean as possible. The calibration has been made following the instal guide of the tablet.
I made not any parameter modification (since I don't know yet what is doing what). The first attempt to fly was indoor to see if it goes in the air and is controllable. So I applied some throttle, it went up was super stable, reacted well when I tried to go forward, backward etc.
So we went out of the building, checked the satellite on the tablet was OK turn on the camera and went for a first 7 min flight to get used to the reactions. In fact it is so smooth that it is the easiest multicopter we tried. The little video I did is made from this first flight.
I will try to fly again soon if we have no rain.
Have a nice holidays

Philippe

Hi Philippe, reason for my questions were that I got my steadi in September it was the ist one in Australia and I was wondering if anything drastic had changed because it flew out of the box. and re your expertise was to find out how much flying you have done to achieve what you have done in the Video. I am a complete novice to multis flew Fixed wing power/gliders/boats/cars little hellicopters and the 1st Multi is a Walkera XM400 which is what I am flying plus a little Ladybird surprising enough is a good learning machine, I also have an XAicraft V650 which is setup but has done some weird things just off the ground so its under a cover at the moment and the Steadi is the ultimate machine which I still havnt got a camera for it yet.I wanted something that I really didnt have to worry about flying and concentrate on getting nice pictures.
Of course the is a budget you have to stay at as well, but My main problem is the lack of good written instructions and images to go with it the Videos didnt exist when I started....John.

PhilippeN

Hello John,
Do you use the latest firmware ?
I did a second test Yesterday, here is the result :
Happy New Year
Philippe

socratic

Hi Philippe,

Pretty impressive footage! You using a 5N? Also, one question in regards to the wiring harness. Did you make it yourself or did Zero provide it with the kit? Curious how you routed all your servo/power wiring. I am not sure I have run mine the most efficient way. Jim

johnno

Hello John,
Do you use the latest firmware ?
I did a second test Yesterday, here is the result :
Happy New Year
Philippe

Hi Philippe, what can I say brilliant footage what size battery are you using and what times are getting and Jim asked tha same question are you using the 5n camera? I am totally jealous cheers.john.

johnno

Hi Philippe,

Pretty impressive footage! You using a 5N? Also, one question in regards to the wiring harness. Did you make it yourself or did Zero provide it with the kit? Curious how you routed all your servo/power wiring. I am not sure I have run mine the most efficient way. Jim
Hi Jim you know the background of Philippe's machine ? Straight out of the box no tweaks gives you the s...s. John.

socratic

Hi Jim you know the background of Philippe's machine ? Straight out of the box no tweaks gives you the s...s. John.

I plan on spending some time trying to fix the odds and ends on mine tomorrow. With luck, I will put a camera on the frame and see how it compares to Philippe's I wonder if he stabilized the footage via YouTube enhancements or if it is raw.

PhilippeN

Hi Philippe,

Hello Jim,
Thanks for the compliment, I think it could be even better, I will soon try to get a little more out of the gimball stabilization, I still have few movement sometimes.
I am using a Sony Nex 5RK.
for the wiring I will take some pictures, but in general for the controllers the wires of two of them are soldered to the wires of the next one, the 3rd one has wires soldered to the 4th one in order to only have 2 wires going to the battery connector. For the servo they just go clean to the flight controller. Everything is as clean as possible to make sure it can not move and change the magnetic field in the system not to create perturbation to the compass.
View attachment 8567View attachment 8568View attachment 8569View attachment 8570View attachment 8571View attachment 8572View attachment 8573

Thanks,

Philippe

Attachments

• IMG_0224.jpg
    IMG_0224.jpg
    144.8 KB · Views: 264
  • IMG_0223.jpg
    IMG_0223.jpg
    147.6 KB · Views: 290
  • IMG_0222.jpg
    IMG_0222.jpg
    157.4 KB · Views: 234
  • IMG_0221.jpg
    IMG_0221.jpg
    139.3 KB · Views: 291
  • IMG_0220.jpg
    IMG_0220.jpg
    154.5 KB · Views: 249
  • IMG_0219.jpg
    IMG_0219.jpg
    149 KB · Views: 418
  • IMG_0218.jpg
    IMG_0218.jpg
    150 KB · Views: 251

PhilippeN

The only thing is that it is clean. The most difficult was to understand how to use the Futaba radio, usually I use a Spektrum. Making the compass calibration was not easy since it took some time to understand that the blue light should always be on all the time during 3 turns which was not simple. Else nothing at all was adjusted.

PhilippeN

Hi Philippe, what can I say brilliant footage what size battery are you using and what times are getting and Jim asked tha same question are you using the 5n camera? I am totally jealous cheers.john.

Hi John, 5RK, to balance it properly I had to use a Team Orion 6900 4S.
View attachment 8574

I don't know how long I can fly yet, Actually after 8 min I have used about 4200 mAh from what the tablet is saying. But I guess 3.65 per cell is way to high, I will make some full discharge after a flight to see what is really left. I am waiting the small light lens to use a smaller pack. Actually the camera is too heavy and the battery need to be heavy to balance it.

Phil

Attachments

• ORI14036_1.jpg
    ORI14036_1.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 336

socratic

Just one other question (for now anyway), were you successful in setting up failsafe on your Futaba radio? I haven't been able to figure out how to do that. With my Naza it was super simple - since the interface showed were you were on the endpoints. I don't have a clue how to do it on this FC. Any help on this would be appreciated. Thanks.,