UAV Systems Certificate Program at UNLV

Mojave

This just came up on my regular mailing from University of Nevada, Las Vegas:

Unmanned Aircraft Systems Certificate Program
"Be on the forefront of Unmanned Aircraft Systems (UAS) design, operation, and policy. UNLV’s UAS Certificate takes an interdisciplinary approach, covering not only UAS design and operation, but also privacy and legal issues. The state of Nevada is one of just six UAS research and test sites nationwide selected by the FAA. UNLV’s proximity to this designated airspace combines with substantial faculty expertise to create a unique opportunity for learning state-of-the art UAS technology. The UAS certificate is offered in partnership through UNLV Continuing Education and The Howard R. Hughes College of Engineering. The certificate program is open to anyone interested in this rapidly growing field of aviation."

To earn the Unmanned Aircraft Systems Certificate you must successfully complete four core courses which include:
UAS Design & Applications
Private Pilot Ground School
Privacy, Publicity & Defamation
UAV Simulation & Testing

Very exciting BUT there is nothing scheduled that I could find at this time - hopefully in 2015? I'll take it if it is in the evening or weekends!

Here is the link: http://continuingeducation.unlv.edu/catalog/unmanned-aircraft-systems-certificate-program

Mojave

Remember that the the FAA named six teams across the nation that will host the development and testing of UAS to fly safely in the same skies as commercial airliners. The state of Nevada plans to study standards for operators and certification requirements. The state will also study how air-traffic control procedures will evolve to handle these aircraft systems.

Here is the course schedule I received. The classes marked "12M-12M" still need a firm time slot and room. As I get more information I will post it here.
Ground School Training for Private Pilots
Prepare for the FAA’s Private Pilot Knowledge Test. Topics include but are not limited to:
airframes and power plants; aircraft systems and instrumentation; aerodynamics; aircraft
performance; weight and balance; flight physiology; the national airspace system; aeronautical
charts; pilotage, dead reckoning, and radio navigation; aviation weather; and Federal Aviation
Administration regulations. This course is also offered as academic credit course ME 110.
Tue | Jan 20 | 12M-12M | $695
UNLV Campus, Room TBD | 151UA1101 | 4.5 CEUs

Privacy, Publicity & Defamation
Understand legal issues closely tied to the development and operation of UAS. Discuss
constitutional right to privacy, the four privacy torts, contrast between right of privacy and
right against defamation, and right of publicity. This course is also offered as academic credit
course LAW 432.
Tue | Jan 20 | 12M-12M | $695
UNLV Campus - TBD | 151UA1102 | 4.8 CEUs

UAS Design and Applications
Begin your Unmanned Aircraft Systems (UAS) training with an overview of UAS terms, components,
basic principles, engineering designs, navigational systems, sensors, and data links utilized by
the global industry. Course will also cover major UAS functional and range classifications,
military and civilian applications, and command and control options. Current limitations and future
capabilities will be addressed through a review of UAS case studies.
Fri | Jan 23-May 8 (meets 16x) | 10am-12:45pm | $695
SEB Room 1240 | 151UA1100 | 2.4 CEUs

UAV Simulation & Testing
Plan and carry out experimental test flights of UAS. The course begins with an overview of
experimental flight test terms, covers experimental test flight planning and procedures, allows you
to operate simulators, and finishes with an actual flight of a small UAS. Successful completion
prepares the student to apply for a Federal Aviation Administration Repairman certificate. This
course is also offered as academic credit course EGG 470.
Fri | Jan 23-May 8 (meets 16x) | 1-3:45pm | $695
SEB Room 1245 | 151UA1103 | 4.8 CEUs

Last edited by a moderator:

Rattler

Grate Post. I wonder if they give you credit if you have a pilot's License for some of the classes?

pepper

surely they will give you credit if you already have a pilots license @Rattler . i am a pilot as well and all that i have seen is "the FAA will require a pilots license" they are going through what we went through in the ground school and written test. from what i gather, i may be wrong though.